Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] MT REVAMP 2013 - Suggestions & Ideas
Started by [E] sawine

Economic fix

PAY ATTENTION this is legit folks... all based off of how things work in THE REAL WORLD

now before you say, "bu bu but this is a VIDEO GAME"... remember, you all are the crazy ones worried about the end of the world and such and such... really i dont get it, but if you want to balance things... THIS IS HOW

FIRST put an end to runaway inflation. you absolutely cannot allow mass amounts of MTC or diamonds or anything of the sort to be given out. REGARDLESS OF REASON!

MTC in its current form is broken. either fix it as noted later in "MTC FIX", or give up. sorry. its the truth.

SECOND currency as of right now is not backed by anything. not even debt... money in the US is issued by the FED and when it is, it is essentially loaned to the US govt with interest (thats supposed to be) roughly equal to the rate of inflation. this means that NO MATTER WHAT the US will ALWAYS be in DEBT.

^^^ for those of you who are US citizens, or not... and are baffled by our debt, and how we have the highest GDP as well, this is how... also we have a VERY HIGH velocity of money, but thats another story.

so! whats the second step? currency cannot be added unless it is backed by something. it doesnt have to be diamonds, or gold, or debt, but it must be backed by SOMETHING. it can literally be ONE ITEM, one custom special item, thats worth a metricshitton. (i.e. Sawine's Head)

get like 10 of them, set the price of them at 10% of all MTC in circulation. we can show the richest players, im sure you have access to the total number of MTC ever... open a damn spreadsheet! This way, when the price of sawine's head goes down, we know how much MTC has devalued due to inflation.

THIRD make DEFLATION possible! make money able to leave the market completely, give players a way, and an incentive to spend MTC on the server, that way its gone from the economy completely.. then when MTC leaves the market, the price of sawine's head goes up, we know deflation has occurred.

(HENCEFORTH ALL REFERENCES TO A BACKING OF CURRENCY WILL BE REFERRED TO AS "SAWINES HEAD" BECAUSE ITS AN AWESOME IDEA AND I LIKE IT!)

FOURTH

FIX MTC!!!!! its quite easy really, what you want to do is DECREASE the value of ONE MTC. so players with 100mil MTC are poorer than they are now, while simultaneously INCREASING the value of backed currency such as diamonds or gold.

"BUT WHY n0ttsweet?!?! WHY do you want to make my millions of MTC mere pocket change?! and WHY do you want to make players with only 1000 MTC poorer!?!?"

because, players with 100mil MTC would convert them to diamonds. and players with the diamonds would get richer because the diamonds they have are worth more!

"wait, so you mean, just sell my diamonds on the market for MTC at a competitive price that magically is supposed to go up? thats what i do now!!! how does this help me?!"

haha silly player... nonsense! we make MTC no longer redeemable for items in game EXCEPT through the admin shop! and we offer diamonds for MTC there at a controlled price. 500 MTC for 1 diamond, and 100 MTC for one gold bar. also, when MTC is spent in the admin shop, it is removed from the economy forever.

UNLESS WE CAN TRACK THE TOTAL MTC SPENT AND USE THAT AS THE MONEY ALLOWED IN REWARDS FOR EVENTS!

otherwise, yeah.. its gone

ALSO!!!!! introduce a new use for MTC, such as... purchasable donator packs with ridiculous amounts of MTC. and LEAVE MTC GAIN FROM VOTING

so either I can donate $20 and get a donor pack and a little MTC, or i can vote every day for a month and earn it. BOOM voting solved, BOOM runaway inflation removed, BOOM goes the dynamite!

"so what youre saying is, go mining, get diamonds, get rich? but thats harddddd"

yes thats what im saying, and too bad

Okay folks, lets sum it up.

since this is all very complex, and takes into account some really strange ideas backed by only what i seem to think in my head, im going to lay it out once more, simplified, cause and effect-ed <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

1) Use a standardized backed currency, one thats value is public known and tracked monthly.

Ex. 10 of sawine's head. each worth EXACTLY 10% of all total MTC. This makes a single unified currency that is backed by something, something that can someday be sold. If i want to, i can buy gold IRL and watch its value change over time. If i control 10% of all MTC in existance, i should be allowed to buy sawine's head.

This means, every month, you tally all MTC in the game, and divide by 10. Across all servers that use MTC. Main 2 allows MTC storage in a cities bank. THIS ABSOLUTELY MUST BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION. Otherwise remove the function completely.

MTC IS AN EXCELLENT FUNCTION OF CURRENCY. it is assigned to a player, and cannot be lost or stolen. it is truly perfect. once we make is a backed currency, and can track its true worth, it will work as it should.

2) stop runaway inflation. Do not allow new MTC to be introduced into the economy, otherwise you act like the FED loaning out money and devaluing everyone else's while expecting a return higher than what you put out there.

[if there are $1000 in the world, and I introduce $100 more into the system. Every dollar lost 10% of its value. Now, if i expect to be given back what I loaned into the economy... when you pay back my $100 you will have to pay back $109-ish. (technically as you pay back the money it starts to regain value) BUT if you are asking for interest at the rate of inflation as well, and the rate of inflation is somewhere around 2%, then you end up owing back $113-ish and the economy only has $987 in it. thus creating deflation and the rise of the value of one dollar...

In the US we never pay back this debt, because the interest rate is ultimately higher than that of inflation and we keep borrowing money from the fed to pay back our debt to the fed... and then the money we borrow is worth less, and when we borrow $1Bil to pay back $1Bil we only ever really paid back $900mil, and we now owe them another billion...

sorry for the economics lesson, but essentially we have this system, except the FED is the server, and the govt borrowing the money is the players, the server keeps giving out MTC (printing $ and loaning it to players as currency), and players value of MTC owned goes down as more MTC is introduced, and then the value of the MTC drops. New player will need more MTC to be able to start out, and this means more MTC in the system...

to continue down this path, the next new player would need to be given when joining the server roughly 100,000. And after him the next player would need to be given a function of the total number of MTC in the market divided by the 'True market value" of the MTC proportional to what 100,000 MTC was worth when the previous player joined.

lets say 110,000. then we need to give the player after him something like 122,000. and so on until we have to give a billion MTC to a rookie just to let him buy some damn wheat seeds... at which point, yeah... he'll probably just go get him his damn self haha

yeah, i suppose this COULD solve the problem, devalue MTc to the point of abandonment, BUT ITS NOT WHAT ITS GOOD FOR THE SERVER.

so! instead to STOP RUNAWAY DEFLATION -

MTC only rewarded for voting and events, ability to spend MTC ONLY on "shop" goods from admin shop set at permanent prices. MTC still can be used in /pay and whatnot so personal trades can occur.

just remove MTC as a payment in market and only allow diamonds, gold, and iron. this means to buy something you need hard currency.

IMPORTANT NOTE not only is dia,gold,and iron a backed currency, they are also a CONSUMABLE COMMODITY!

you can make dia swords and break them eventually, dia is now removed from the economy, this makes it more volatile than MTC. MTC will be backed by sawines head. and there will be a preset number of sawines heads

essentially you have MTC being a representative value of 1 share of a sawine head. you now own a share (like stock market shares) of sawines head (how cool is that?) its perfect for MT and perfect for an economy. YOU MUST ALLOW PLAYERS TO BUY SAWINES HEAD!

why? because if noone can own it, it holds no value, and thus doesnt back anything.. which means you NEED to have alot of MTC in circulation unless you want Mr. Richy rich to come buy up some of his heads and control the value of MTC entirely... lol <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

(note, im serious about owning his head.... say a group of people all cashed in and bought one. thats awesome, and its something to aim for. it would make MTC have value aside from just buying diamonds in admin shop...)

and if you can only get MTC from voting, events, or informal trade with a player... well i think alot more people would vote!

and if i could spend my MTC on donator packs? id say screw sawines head, I WANT /KIT DIAMOND xD

also, remove MTC from donor rewards... it MUST be done or else you can have a pay-to-win(or get dia from ADMIN SHOP) thing going on, and while that might be great for MT, its not great for the server <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

or maybe not, instead you could just make the amount of MTC for a donor pack equal to 10x the amount of MTC included in that pack... so $300 donor pack can be bought for 750,000 MTC. ( to note, only the top 36 richest players could even afford that... of a server with thousands of players, thats not too bad...)

3) Standarize prices for dia, gold, and iron. (this is the last one, i promise)

so when sawines head is worth 3bil because there is 30bil in the market, buying diamond at the admin shop might be alright, but then later when sawines head is only worth 2bil because everyone spent 10bil on donor packs collectively, buying that same diamond for 500mtc might not be as appealing...

you see, if there is a ton of MTC in the economy, then people will feel alright to buy diamonds, but the more people who buy diamonds or anything from admin shop, or donor packs, the less money there is, and the less worth it it is to buy diamonds, if you lower the price of a diamond to 100mtc because mtc are worth 5x what they were a month ago at 500mtc, then you are still allowing inflation, in the form of a hard currency like diamonds.

IT MUST REMAIN THE SAME! NO MATTER WHAT!

all in all, 3 things.

1) Use a backed currency with a preset amount. (technically after its set, you cannot change it) if someone buys one and say "NOONE CAN HAVE IT!' you cant just replace it, that player bought it fair and square.

if i bought 100 tons of gold, and dissolved it in acid the US cant be like "bah its okay, we'll just use console to fix it." interfering caused these problems and like Einstein said "Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."

i am introducing backed currency, that is set and unchangeable.

2) stop RUNAWAY inflation inflation can happen, but deflation must also happen, if it doesnt we have entropy, a state of no trades and no selling or buying... which is what we have. entropy = no change. if we have nothing to base value off of, and we dont know what the true value of something is, we have a financial bubble (LIKE THE HOUSING CRISIS OF 2008 IN THE US)

---i wont explain it, JUST TRUST ME DAMN IT---

3) standardize prices for dia, gold, and iron. this protects against inflation for players who are worried about the value of MTC, just as gold IRL is used to hedge against the rate of inflation. the 'true value' of gold isnt supposed to change, so as the dollar loses value, gold prices rise.

in our system. sawines head acts as gold in the US market. MTC acts as the dollar did when it WAS backed by gold, and dia, gold and iron in game commodities we buy... like a Porsche, go kart, or bicycle, respectively...

their prices change due to inflation in the real world, but here, we dont have the IRS and an entire dept of government tracking on monitoring and we dont have Econ Majors writing thesis's on the economy of MT and how to fix it...

i mean, what kind of person would sit down and write out pages and pages of information, then rewrite it two more times for emphasis and simplification so anyone could read it and understand. AND who did research and data collection and read wiki pages for hours just to come up with a win-win solution to our economic position...

well, n0ttsweet would. and maybe you dont like my idea, maybe you think i wasted my time and im a fool.

but maybe, just maybe im right. and even if you arent sure, or you do think im wrong, maybe i deserve some props for doing this at all... i mean, sure, you couldve too

but you didnt.
i agree on the cross world inventory. rather have that than a frickn map reset
c0lsl0th wrote:
rather have that than a frickn map reset
sawine, other people on this thread wrote:
The main map will never be reset
Wawon wrote:
XCoaster wrote:
c0lsl0th wrote:

XC he doesnt want the map reset. He wants cross world inventory

I'm restating the fact that there will not me, not rather than because there will never be.
XCoaster wrote:
Wawon wrote:
XCoaster wrote:
c0lsl0th wrote:

XC he doesnt want the map reset. He wants cross world inventory

I'm restating the fact that there will not me, not rather than because there will never be.

wha wha whaaaat? re read your last sentance... i know what you WANT to say, but this definitely isnt it haha

"not rather than because" hehe
THIS MIGHT BE LONG, BUT IT MIGHT BE WORTH A READ

I've been away for a while, but going through all these forum threads & posts, it's quite easy to catch up.

The main issue why people don't tend to stay on our servers is because there is

NO CHALLENGE WHATSOEVER.

Here's how I see MT with a future:

1. CURRENT MAIN

- is outdated

- is filled with builds, leaving new players with a hard time to find their own spot

- everyone is rich

- getting materials takes no effort

2.1 No longer label it as "main", instead label it as MT Classic.

Make it less prominent in the list of servers.

The server would serve as a piece of national history as well as a place where people can continue building their structures.

2.2 Label "main 2" as the one and only main.

Reset the current main 2, regenerate the world with a fitting seed and up to the latest version of MC.

New Main: no MTC, villager trading enabled, no custom spawners, same protection system as on Pearl.

Reasoning:

Material currencies tend to not lose their value as fast as virtual currencies. MT's economy worked great before MTC got implemented.

Villager Trading is a part of MC Vanilla. If you want to host a server as close to vanilla as possible, this should be implemented. At the moment it seems to work out well on Pearl.

Custom spawners ruin the basic gameplay of Minecraft. Building mobtraps on the location of natural spawners is way more fun and challenging.

A protection system that can be set up by the players themselves proves way more valuable: no wait times on setting it up, less stress on staff

2.3 Hold a transition event.

Simply wiping MTC might seem a bit harsh to some players. Instead we could hold an apocalypse event with the current main world as playground. Hold this event over the course of a good two to three weeks, so all regular players get to join in on the fun and are well informed that this major change is coming.

In practice:

Disable the ability to craft TNT.

Enable TNT placement, block damage.

Set up a server TNT shop, selling TNT for MTC. (The richer you were, the more TNT you get to blow up creations)

This way you let people symbolically blow up their own MTC and structures.

Spawn Giants in the major cities every so often.

2. Fix cross-server chat

At the moment, every server uses different commands to enter too many channels which have a different indication on certain servers (S being server chat on some and being Skyblock server chat on others).

Cut down all channels on every server to the following and make anyone joining the server automatically join these:

- Cross-Realm chat with a fixed symbol which is the same for all servers (M for Main, MTC for MT Classic, E for event, C for creative, ...)

This should carry over to ALL servers (including CTF). This will make players aware of the existence of all the other servers.

- Current server chat which only carries over to the current server.

- Local Chat

(- Cross-Realm Staff Chat)

If this chat system works well, cutting down on servers is not needed.

3. Implement a point system

Having something that carries over to all servers that represents the player's effort would be a big plus.

Thinking about some sort of point accumulation system that can only be gained by completing certain objectives, like

- winning an MCBall game

- winning an Event

- completing a major achievement on skyblock

Having a ranking of these points on the website and perhaps a major reward for the monthly top 3 and a minor reward for the ones that accumulated the most points every two weeks would give all MT Players something new to strive for.

That's what drives MMOs: competition.

4. Keep those custom minigame oriented worlds coming

The Minecraft community consists of many players who all have their specific favorite playstyles. Providing as many different playstyles (FTB, Hungergames, Prison servers, Dungeon Adventure maps, PVP, creative, survival, skyblock, ...) is crucial to catch the attention of the mass.

Hook all the servers up via cross-realm chat and they will experience it as if they're playing together with a massive playerbase.

That's the main reason why people log onto minecraft multiplayer by the way: people want to play together, chat with others, ...

Important note: the more servers we have, the harder it is to maintain them all. So before they go live, you'd need to set up a properly functioning support system, preferably entirely automated to relieve the stress on staff.

5. Promo

Host some Promo Events, more MT videos on youtube.

The MT Stickers that sawine sent me to hand out during a LAN party and on our IT-oriented school really do work.

Suggestion: Make the MT Stickers available for download. Allow the MT Community to print them out and sticker them around.

Hold an event where MT players need to take pictures of where they sticked the stickers in real life.

The most original places win a MT T-shirt/donation package/...

TL;DR: Screw you.
i like it lando, i still like my economy fix, but aside from that...

EVERY OTHER SUGGESTION YES PLEASE!

haha i DID read it all, props!
GUYS just put taxes on everything u sell and /money pay that will fix it without making people really mad....

because I mean people sent a shit long time to make that money then boom they loose that money....
I would not want to have a cross server inventory because it could create some of the same issues that could happen with diamond or item drops that artificially increase the supply on the server. I have been building a road from spawn on Main2 (at least as close as I could get to spawn) that runs from north to south. All of those materials I had to mine or farm and it has taken me months to do. It may seem tedious but there is a sense of pride to complete something by placing a single block that was not kitted or brought in from another server. I had to kill zombies for hours in a dungeon to get my initial carrot and potato crops and have had to allocate certain areas of the town to be quarries or logging areas. The way Main2 is right now is a way to see how an economy is at its very beginning. The last time I saw diamonds being traded they were going at extremely high prices. Since October 2012, I have only mined about 32 diamonds. Some have been turned into and lost as tools. I get most of my XP from smelting and had to lure all of my original livestock to my home one by one with wheat. I had to lure pigs over 1 Km because mobs were not yet spawning where I was building my home.

As there are several small to medium sized towns already on Main2 I would not like to see it completely reset but chunks could always be regenerated or created with world edit. The way the seed is done makes me think that it was originally made like that to force people to remain inside the city of Shamballah and venture out on an adventure to get any items that they did not have access to in the city. Since that mod's creator nixed the project I'm not quite sure if that is still the goal of the server but I liked the concept.
Wawon wrote:
how will taxes help when mods can just spawn in money

Because mods don't spawn money in.

On a side note, a 75% tax will reduce the amount of money in the economy from 250 million MTC down to 62.5 million MTC.