Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Disable NPC Trading ?
Started by [E] sawine

Deimosian wrote:

Well, it's see here... Yes, you haven't gone the intelligent route of using the new shiny tool mojang has handed you which could hammer your horribly screwed up economy back into shape with. Which multiple people have told you, in detail, how to do it.

So, yes, you're dumb if you don't use it. And yes, I will play elsewhere. And yes, I will occasionally show up and laugh at how screwed up it is because of past mistakes' long term consequences.

Please! Stop it you make me laugh!Sawine wrote:

Good. Have fun. You won't be missed.
+Mojang also made a much more practical tool it's called a diamond sword. Villager trade would absolutely destroy Minetown's economy. To safely control the power of the utterly infinite wealth you can inevitably find in Minecraft you must capture and tame it. Which is what the staff are trying to do
ok im still with the vote for disable it completly when minetown updated to 1.3 and apparently trading was able to happen i was out with my family and when i came back i accidently left my shop open and it even has we are closed signs all around it but apparently tons of people can and bought out some of my items and then when i got on all i saw were empty signs and when i asked how people got so many emeralds they said they used my shop to make a big 20k profit out of buying worth to almost 200mtc worth of stuff. so i say if we add trading all prices on items will have to go up tremendously so just disable trading im still pissed people used my shop to make that big of a profit out of trading,
What I noticed first about the Minetown economy was the extremely low prices. Me being a fresh member with only 5 votes could login and immediately purchase 15+ diamonds; a material that is supposed to be the most valuable resource in the entire game. The problem isn't with villager trading; it lies solely with those who have continued to undercut prices which undervalued resources to the extent that they are worthless.

Emeralds are worthless outside of Villager Trading. Nothing can be crafted from them aside from Emerald Blocks which are purely cosmetic. Now that Emeralds are out in the open in large quantities (approximately 2400 for one player) any trading with Emeralds should be scrutinized or otherwise banned (just trading, not the players). My vote went to enabled villager trading.

Those who bought out cheap shops obviously didn't know enough or care enough that Emeralds are worthless aside from crafting blocks with them. Kudos to the shop owners for making quick cash. =)
iSoccerplayer wrote:
It will have to be disabled. There are too many loop holes, where someone could, gain a profit, for virtually no work. For Example:

18-21 credits = 18-21 wheat = 1 emerald

1 emerald = 2-3 glowstone = 33 credits

Thats a 15-18 credit profit, from taking advantage of the economy.

What's stopping you from raising the prices on Wheat, Glowstone, and other resources to compensate for the villager trading? Absolutely nothing.
Sorry post again i put it in the wrong thread last time.

Yes it is going to be bad in the short term and the economy will get pretty bad but it is a game. If you look at all the past new inclusions into the game they have all eventually evened out. People will get bored with the trading after a while and thats just how games are. However in the short term things do need to happen. arrows everyone has a billion of those who cares. Those sort of things arent going to hurt us as a community but chain mail trading is. My solution is that you diable trading with the Blacksmith, Priest and Libarian. Not sure if it can be done but this will rule out all the ''dangerous'' objects.
DanniDorrito wrote:
Disable villager trading, its not needed at this moment in time.

Add emeralds and emerald ores to the credit shop for a very high price so players can still obtain them, reset guest world so players can mine there and expand the main world so a few emeralds will appear there.

Remember emeralds are extremely rare, appearing only in extreme hills and 0-2 emeralds per chunk meaning they should be extremely valuable and not something that can be easily obtained unless you pay a high price.

I would disagree with this, emeralds should not be added to the CS, leave them super rare.
I personally think that once minetown has acess to a plugin that allows this to be done, all the trades where an emerald is traded for another item, as this will rule out all of the 'problem' trades such as glowstone, chain armour and enchanting bottles. However, I think that all the trades where you 'sell' something for an emerald should be allowed. This will allow pepole to make their own trading systems where they can make emerald blocks for their own use and selling for profit. I personally have plans for my own trading system if it ends up enabled. so, in short, I think that disableing is a good temporary solution, but when possible the trades to gain emeralds (not other items) should be allowed.
spaceagent66 wrote:
I personally think that once minetown has acess to a plugin that allows this to be done, all the trades where an emerald is traded for another item, as this will rule out all of the 'problem' trades such as glowstone, chain armour and enchanting bottles. However, I think that all the trades where you 'sell' something for an emerald should be allowed. This will allow pepole to make their own trading systems where they can make emerald blocks for their own use and selling for profit. I personally have plans for my own trading system if it ends up enabled. so, in short, I think that disableing is a good temporary solution, but when possible the trades to gain emeralds (not other items) should be allowed.

I think it should be the other way around. If you do not allow players to buy emeralds then they must mine them, and mining them makes them a very rare resources. The scarcity of the item itself will take care of the issue of devaluing some items.
Lomanic wrote:
spaceagent66 wrote:

I think it should be the other way around. If you do not allow players to buy emeralds then they must mine them, and mining them makes them a very rare resources. The scarcity of the item itself will take care of the issue of devaluing some items.

I can agree with that to a certain extent, if the rareity of emeralds was more like te rareity of redstone, or lapis. But emeralds are supposed to be about 6 times as rare as diamonds, and, as someone (I think it was poke) said, they only appear in extreme hills. That already extremely slim chance of finding them will be made even harder to find due to the fact that they will only spawn at the very edge of the map. If the only way of finding emeralds is mining, then trading pretty much wont be used, as they will be extremely rare, and so no-one will actually invest in a villager spawner. Also, I would feel very bad for the pepole who have already invested in villager spawners if this were to happen, as they have gone and spent lots of credits one something they can't really use.
spaceagent66 wrote:
Lomanic wrote:
spaceagent66 wrote:

I can agree with that to a certain extent, if the rareity of emeralds was more like te rareity of redstone, or lapis. But emeralds are supposed to be about 6 times as rare as diamonds, and, as someone (I think it was poke) said, they only appear in extreme hills. That already extremely slim chance of finding them will be made even harder to find due to the fact that they will only spawn at the very edge of the map. If the only way of finding emeralds is mining, then trading pretty much wont be used, as they will be extremely rare, and so no-one will actually invest in a villager spawner. Also, I would feel very bad for the pepole who have already invested in villager spawners if this were to happen, as they have gone and spent lots of credits one something they can't really use.

Exactly. Plus as madster and I said (although the argument can be used on either side) that emeralds basically have NO VALUE without trading other than being pretty and trendy. With trading disabled, why even bother spending hours looking for an ore you may never find? Unless you're like me who wants to use it for building materials, but under that circumstance I'd look for other options. Perhaps gold blocks instead.