Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Disable NPC Trading ?
Started by [E] sawine

Hey,

As few of you may be aware, 1.3 now includes NPC trading. You can trade stuff with villagers. Although this brings in a considerable "problem" as Mojang didn't really took the time to value everything and to be honest, it will completely destroy the worth of everything.

Have a look at the trading rates:

Nd1vD.png

At first glance it might not look this bad... but if you start cross trading, you end up with stuff like this:

~725 papers (11.3 stacks) = full set of chain mail armor

~580 wheat (~9 stacks) = full set of chain mail armor

~688 chickens (10.75 stacks) = full set of diamond armor

~2 stacks of wheat = 1 saddle

...and the list goes on.

I would like to hear the opinion of the community regarding this and if you think it should be disabled or not when we update the main server to 1.3.

I Vote Disable It.
Its cool in singleplayer... but... 17 porkchops for 3 glowstone? It will ruin the economy and make a lot stuff less valueable...
I personaly love the trading system with villager's but, I agree it would ruin the worth of almost everything.
No, we should enable it. It won't crush the economy too badly. A lot of the valuable trade options are uncommon. Also, emeralds can only be found in the Extreme Hills biome, making them pretty rare, especially since already-generated biomes will not have them and we'd need to extend the world border. The server would significantly lack emeralds without the trading option. However it may be possible for the DEV's to nerf the trading system a bit so it doesn't damage the economy too much.

The economy will fix itself if we give it time. So just chill and enjoy all the cool new features in 1.3.

So, I vote to either keep it or nerf it slightly.
Guys WAIT, what about simply Block the Trade so we can still buy Things with emeralds but Can only obtain them with Mining.
Again nick, emeralds will be pretty hard to obtain from mining.

To quote from the Minecraft wiki:

"The only use for Emeralds is in exchanging them for items and vice versa. It can be mined from extremely rare Emerald Ore, which is more rare than Diamond Ore since it is hardly ever found in groups and only found in the 'Extreme Hills' and 'Extreme Hills Edge' biomes, and nonexistent elsewhere."
PokemonGardevoir wrote:
No, we should enable it. It won't crush the economy too badly. A lot of the valuable trade options are uncommon. Also, emeralds can only be found in the Extreme Hills biome, making them pretty rare, especially since already-generated biomes will not have them and we'd need to extend the world border. The server would significantly lack emeralds without the trading option. However it may be possible for the DEV's to nerf the trading system a bit so it doesn't damage the economy too much.

The economy will fix itself if we give it time. So just chill and enjoy all the cool new features in 1.3.

So, I vote to either keep it or nerf it slightly.

First off. We should not enable it. it WILL crush the economy. With is disabled, it gives it more value, meaning more credits are being thrown around.. Which could lead to players wanting to vote even more for the server to earn credits. If you have not noticed, the economy hasn't been jumping around like it used to. It has been pretty steady. Now, if you add trading with NPC's then that will make the economy will crash. I don't see how that is not clear. Also, with them only being in "Extreme Hills" dosn't mean that the server will significantly lack emeralds. Trust me, there will be players mining emeralds 24/7 when 1.3 hits the server, as well as I would assume that admin shop will be selling them.
PokemonGardevoir wrote:

The economy will fix itself if we give it time.

Somewhat true, and somewhat false. The economy will fix itself if you add emeralds, and no NPC trading. The economy will not fix itself if we add more features to it. People always say "Leave the economy alone" Well.. if we add trading, then it will be changing to much of the economy, to fast. Just adding emeralds to the economy will start fluctuating the prices of other items.
I vote disable villager trading x
I agree to keep this disabled. It will cause much not needed strain to the economy. If we don't use this for trading, we can still use it as a currency. For example: 1 emerald is equal to 3 diamonds or whatever we decide the transaction rate to be.

As people have said before, this can destroy shops. I mean, trading meat to get an emerald is ridiculous. If we were to keep it in, I say we edit the trading to raise value to what is being traded with emeralds and for emeralds. For example: To obtain 1 emerald, trade 2 stacks of meat instead of 17. Or whatever we want to change it, just to get the rate higher, if we decide to keep it.

For now, I vote we keep NPC trading out of Minetown.