Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Level reset on the pvp-server
Started by [E] 8x8johan

I spend 95% of my time on the PvP server because it is challenging in every single way.

The feeling of a constant threat, the thrill of being tracked down by players far more powerful than you...

That's what makes the PvP server interesting and why a lot of people enjoy playing it.

You can nerf the server by resetting the MCMMO skills on a regular basis, which will result in more people checking out the pvp server.

However, you need to get them to stay. Working on something that will get reset by the next month is very demotivating.

People join a PvP server and stay there to show off strategies and get into combat. They will definetely grow tired of having to do the monthly grind to get their former levels back. Knowing this, they are likely to leave after a couple of days.

Would you rather have newcomers check out the server, play for a couple of days, then leave?

Or would you rather have a growing community? A group of players that settle down on the server?

Hint: The majority of the donators are the people that stay within the community.

As for the vote results:

ANYONE can vote on the poll. I suspect a lot of people that don't actively play the PvP server voted for option one and two, since they sound more welcoming to new players.

In the end, it's the staff team who makes the decision, but as a loyal member of all Minetown's communities, I beg this decision gets reconsidered. Not just for me and other pvpers' sake, but also for the PvP server's sake.
DanniDorrito wrote:
And I would also like to point out, new players is what makes the server grow so anything we can do to make it a little fairer for the new players is good and should definitely be done. Stop getting all butthurt because you dont give a shit about new players, the server does.

I don't understand, where were any of us saying we didn't want new members? We're all having a discussion on the matter, trying to voice our opinions and what we think, and you just come in saying we don't give a shit about new members. Just because we don't agree with something the server is planning or has planned to do does not mean we're butthurt
^^
Someone did give me kind of a neat idea, but this would invlolve tweaking the plug-in entirely... it would be neat if you could only choose 3 skills that with high lvl caps and then the rest cap out at like 200 or something.... that way people can specialize in things, but won't necessarily have the advantage of having been around a lot longer....

I suppose that's one of those "in an ideal world" kind of suggestions... I know it won't happen, but it'd be neat...
I've worked on many of my skills to get them to high levels, and I don't really care at all if they get reset. If I worked hard to get them high, why can't I again? Also, your skills aren't the only ones going down, everybody's skills are. There should be no problem getting it back up.
I think they should only be reset when they get to a certain level, say 400 this will still keep the players on the server while limiting how powerful the players can get. Note I only think this should be on archery, swords and axes. I don't think it should be on any others because these are the main ones that players use in fights, if it would be all that would be okay. But I think it can help out new players if they join a faction or have a friend that is played on the server a lot to have a high mining skill, excavation and woodcutting to help them get started.
bump
This is a pretty aggravating thread to read through. Comparing skills gained through MCMMO to skills gained in Runescape is certainly applicable.

I used to play a lot of Ultima Online. It was a pain in the ass to get your skills up to where you wanted to be, if I logged in one day to find all my skills zeroed out I would probably quit.

As with any game where you can level up, the idea of losing levels is like wasting your hard work and effort that you've put into it. Players get a sense of achievement for leveling up. How would you feel if every month your vault was emptied and the map was wiped clean? Would you want to stay here?

Oh but that's ridiculous, I worked hard to build those things!

And these players worked hard to build up their skills.

New players are important, nobody will argue against that. However, new players become veterans, and veterans get angry when all their toys get flushed down the toilet.

New players are just as important as retaining old players.

I don't play on the pvp, but I recognize the pains brought about by losing your skills. Starting over from scratch isn't a fun challenge that competitive people enjoy.
YO ITS LIKE PLAYING POKEMON ONE DAY AND ALL YOUR POKEMON BECOME LEVEL ONE AND EVO 1 AGAIN FOR NO REASON

BAD BECAUSE POKEMON IS THE GRINDIEST GAME IN THE WORLD

YO I DONT REMEMBER WHAT MY POINT WAS
bump