Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Level reset on the pvp-server
Started by [E] 8x8johan

We will reconsider the decision. There are a bunch of things I need to look after as I'm just back from vacations...

Although, from reading this thread, there are few things I disagree with.

Yes, the mcmmo plugin idea originated from Runescape and other mmo like games. Although some of you are making comparisons without even considering the other major differences between Minecraft and mmos.

First of all, MMOs are games mostly based on leveling. Leveling your skills is the main thing to do in those games. Minecraft isn't centered on skill levelling. It's about harvesting ressources, crafting, building and surviving. Yes, we do give an additional mmo/pvp taste to it with the PVP server, although it doesn't mean that it's meant to be an exact copy of an mmo.

Secondly, the majority of mmos have balanced pvp systems to prevent high level players to ruin the gameplay of new ones. In runescape, you can not kill lowbies easily.. they have to adventure far in the wilderness for you to be able to fight them, they are taking the risk themselves. (it was like that when I played it couple years ago...) As most of other games too have a layer of balancing between low and high level players. In most games you can't go rampage on newbies.

In our situation, it is not the case. A maxed out player could go and kill newbies as he wish, camping right out of spawn. Comparing the mcmmo skills to ressources is also not a viable comparison in my opinion. You can craft a diamond armor under a day and loot other people's bases to steal their stuff as well. You can not catch up on skills and levels, you will have to invest the same gameplay time as that other player did to be able to be "equally strong".

I can understand how it is disappointing to lose what you worked for, but levels and skills are not the primary objective of the PVP server... it's a "pvp server" not a "RP server" or "mmo server". Even if some of you are saying that "it's not because the staff didn't intend us to focus on that, that we didn't"... I don't think that justify a reason.

The reset of only pvp skills could be a good middle ground.

... As I said, we will review the decision.

Cya
sawine wrote:

Yes, the mcmmo plugin idea originated from Runescape and other mmo like games. Although some of you are making comparisons without even considering the other major differences between Minecraft and mmos.

First of all, MMOs are games mostly based on leveling. Leveling your skills is the main thing to do in those games. Minecraft isn't centered on skill levelling. It's about harvesting ressources, crafting, building and surviving. Yes, we do give an additional mmo/pvp taste to it with the PVP server, although it doesn't mean that it's meant to be an exact copy of an mmo.

Don't give us that. If you're putting a skills/stats plugin like McMMO in this game, that is what you are making it. The point of McMMO is to make Minecraft an MMO.

If you're going to mess about, get rid of the plugin altogether.

The people that take the server seriously will stop playing, that's a promise.
Sawine wrote:

Thought as much. Better kiss our skills goodbye.
Photoshop Cage wrote:
sawine wrote:

Don't give us that. If you're putting a skills/stats plugin like McMMO in this game, that is what you are making it. The point of McMMO is to make Minecraft an MMO.

If you're going to mess about, get rid of the plugin altogether.

The people that take the server seriously will stop playing, that's a promise.
Sawine wrote:

Thought as much. Better kiss our skills goodbye.

Show more respect when trying to put your point across. Watch how you are talking to people or action will be taken against you. Exeriti had his post taken down for language, I have edited your post and I will take this further if you dont calm yourself down.

This was what I was trying to explain to begin with.

Yes I have played minetown pvp (Check my MCMMO Stats, I have a high mining one and alright sword skills) so I understand how frustrating it can be to lose what you have worked on but minecraft and the pvp was not intended to be MMO. Those skills were added just as perks and thats it, why do you think they were on the donator list originally? Because they were not intended to be primary objectives to the pvp server.

If MCMMO stays as it is new players that want to become regular members will never be able to surpass regular members with already high skills and this in pvp would be a huge advantage which you understand is unfair for newer players. Thats why a reset could be put in place, this would give the new players a chance at actually surpassing the skills of regular members and make the overall battlefield more fair since every player wont have stupidly high skills. It would then get reset and other newer players will get their chance to shine.

I dont think the plugin should be removed altogether, I've been on 2 other pvp servers and both make players donate for MCMMO since its considered a perk. I think it should be used but regularly maintained to make it a whole lot fairer for players during pvp but still be there for players to use as a perk.

A faction battle is planned, that month you can spend working your sword skill up as a perk to try and gain a small advantage in battle, just as you would trying to enchant your armor or crafting only using diamonds. Your skill wouldnt be mega overpowered and neither would the other teams so yes it would be fair.
Danni you havent posted anything about resetting pvp skills only. what do you think of that option.
TPrezzle, Y U always so negative...

Edit: I also like how I give you arguments about mmos and minecraft... and your only response is to deny...
sawine wrote:

Edit: I also like how I give you arguments about mmos and minecraft... and your only response is to deny...

I'm so negative because I completely disagree with a ton of stuff around here.

Such as Danni editing my post for saying 'crap' and 'pussyfoot'. I guess she gets to swear all the time 'cause she's staff.

Again, we won't be listened to so have your way with it.

EDIT:

Pussyfoot - verb (used without object)

1. to go or move in a stealthy or cautious manner.

2. to act cautiously or timidly, as if afraid to commit oneself on a point at issue.
TPrezzle wrote:

Ever heard of constructive criticism ?

... If you're unhappy, we'll fully listen to your opinion as long as it's provided in a positive and constructive manner...

... If you're still unhappy, no need to curse it all over the forum, go make your own server (you'll maybe finally realize how easy it is...) or join another one.
TPrezzle wrote:

...C'mon... when did we silence someone or not took into considerations people's opinion ?

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I see you bring this up... this might work with your mom, but not around here.

Edit: It's fine to disagree...as long as its done in good manners. If it's too much to ask, then see the previous option I stated.
Topic please...
Photoshop Cage wrote:
sawine wrote:

Such as Danni editing my post for saying 'crap' and 'pussyfoot'. I guess she gets to swear all the time 'cause she's staff.

EDIT:

Pussyfoot - verb (used without object)

1. to go or move in a stealthy or cautious manner.

2. to act cautiously or timidly, as if afraid to commit oneself on a point at issue.

Please be reminded that voicing your opinion and being respectful are two completely different things. Yes you are being listened to but stop having a paddy fit and throwing your toys out of the pram in the process. Explain your points but there is no need to over exaggerate or deny what the other argument is about. You are fine to voice your opinion but it is mandatory for you to show respect as you do it.

I retract any swearing I have done unintentionally and apologise for it. Also pussyfoot is not a common slang and it was assumed to be swearing since its spelling signifies that.

We've already come to the conclusion MCMMO means some form of MMO which you have told us (And we have listened...), but we have already argued against you to say its not the primary task for Minecraft therefore thats why its a perk.

If you cannot have a mature discussion about this without blowing your cool then I suggest coming off of the forums, go have a large beer then come back once you have cooled down and able to think a little better.
I've tried that Sawine. The amount of times I have been asked to stop by staff after constructively criticising is ridiculous.

The reason I say this now is that this issue IS being pussyfooted about. You can't have a halfway mentality about the plugin. It should either stay and keep levels, or be removed altogether.

This isn't about appeasing new players. It's not that people don't care about them, they'll see it as a challenge. People with stats in excess of 200 or so will get really upset when they get removed. That's a lot of people.