Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Level reset on the pvp-server
Started by [E] 8x8johan

you've got a point there slurth. it sounds a little like danny's suggestion, a toturial where the new players learn about the server, except its in a fun torurial that many people might find interesting.
Minetown used to be pvp last year. My opinion is that minetown has attracted too many ''carebears'' so the pvp server isnt attractive to them. Its mistakes made that cause these consequences.
Hmm... I like my PvP skills, as small as they are <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/2639.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":(">:(</object> I say a very small reduction would do instead of a total reset.
bumpy
I think the pvp skills need some clarification.

Having a high swords, axes or unarmed skill doesn't give you that much of an advantage to other players as you all might think. It sure helps, but you could say that 95% of the outcome of the fight depends on the person's gear and skill as well as possible latency issues.

Let's break it down:

The higher your swords skill, the higher the chance to apply a bleed effect when hitting someone with a sword. NOTHING changes to the initial damage. And bleeds do half a heart every server tick. It's not hard to take someone out with a higher swords skill than you, since your initial damage >> damage over time.

Your unarmed goes up to a set maximum damage. The damage output doesn't go higher past lvl 250 and it's not higher than a sword's damage output.

Having a high axes skill means doing the same damage output with a diamond axe as a diamond sword. You get some additional perks though: A knockback effect and an increasing armor damage value, as well as a critical hit chance.

So if two players - one with a diamond sword and low mcmmo skills vs one with a diamond axe and high axes skill, both diamond armor - fight eachother, their initial damage output will again be the same.

All the extra perks that you get with high mcmmo skills are nice, but unless the two opponents are fighting eachother in protection 3 and higher enchanted diamond gear, they are insignificant to the outcome of the fight. The initial damage output means a lot more when two persons fight eachother in let's say plain diamond armor.

I'd like to add to that, that only very few people on the server have armor this strong and they are very unlikely to wear it when raiding new players, since it's very hard to come by. It gets reserved for fighting players that do have high mcmmo skills.

Let's summarize:

Does having high mcmmo pvp skills give you an advantage over players with low skills? Yes,

BUT, the difference between having high mcmmo pvp skills or not having high mcmmo pvp skills is insignificant.

Resetting them will only make it easier to the new players to get into the /mctop list, which is meaningless.

You gotta ask yourself: Is this minor improvement worth the displeasement of the majority of the community of the server?
^ This post alone should be the basis of the staffs choice.
So anyways, hopefully the storm has passed~

Here's what I was thinking of last night.

I don't know how many people know Waffletastic, but he's one of our plugin developers (you can thank him for the epic vaults plugin and MCBall), he had a very interesting plugin where NPC's would give quests that once completed you could turn in for an item. I thought, why not make a tutorial or the PVP server with something like this? Having players in a small area doing "Quests" to not only learn the basics of the server and the features of MCMmo, but to make some starting cash and get some gear so they aren't defenseless when starting out in the world (maybe iron gear and a diamond sword), of course only being able to go through the tutorial once. It would make it a lot easier for new members to get into the server and have some MCMmo stats to get them by)

Having a MOB arena installed soon would be a great help to those new players as well, it would give them something to do (besides camping outside spawn) and the chance to win MTC, Enchanted items, etc etc. as well as bring up their MCMmo stats.

My point is, if the stats are gonna be reset then maybe we need to look more into the stats themselves. Resetting stats wouldn't be so bad if re-gaining those stats didn't take as much work. Having areas available to players for them to "grind" their levels, like the MOB arena, would be sort of a middle ground. "I lost all my stats...but now I can get them back 20% faster"

New players would also be able to do the same, and get their mcmmo stats relatively high, making them want to stay and keep increasing them.

Also how about a Faction War plugin? Sort of like the MOB Arena, where in an arena a bunch of mobs would spawn, but with one faction on one side (team red) and the other on the other side (team blue) having a team based PVP battle while trying to defend themselves from monsters as well. Winners would be able to access a loot chest and get a random enchanted item each time, once per member that survives.

Anyways, those are just my ideas as to how you could come to a compromise the skills reset.

And Tprezz, Pred and Coffeey, you guys are looking at it the wrong way. Everyone's gonna be set to zero, but the "farm" will have you back in 2-3 days, thus overpowering absolutely everyone, nobody is gonna have a chance anymore.
Danni. You claim that the mcmmo is here just as an extra perk and it isnt intended to level up, but you dont play on the pvp server. Do you then know why people are leveling them up? They dont simply level them up because they get on the mctop list. To get these perks you are talking about you'll have to level these skills up pretty high, meaning you'll have to do quite much grinding to get the perks intended for us. Dosent that make us intended to level them up high?

Its like this:

When i work at a McDonals i get a 30% discount. I get it because i work there.

If I dont really care about work, just be lazy and call in sick now and then as i see fit i either wont be able to use that 30% discount, or it will be lowered fo that month. Why? Because i didnt work for it.

What you are proposeing is that i will get a +1% increase in discount every day i work in one month landing me on 30% the last day makeing this the only profitable day for me to buy. Then my discount is reset to 1% the next day. Then i have to grind my way up for hours to get my little McDonals perk.
Danny wrote:

And Tprezz, Pred and Coffeey, you guys are looking at it the wrong way. Everyone's gonna be set to zero, but the "farm" will have you back in 2-3 days, thus overpowering absolutely everyone, nobody is gonna have a chance anymore.

I'm mad about my /unarmed and /swords yes but I'm mostly mad about my /excavation & /mining

I totally agree with Landr0's post. It's 100% accurate.

-pred
Danny wrote:
And Tprezz, Pred and Coffeey, you guys are looking at it the wrong way. Everyone's gonna be set to zero, but the "farm" will have you back in 2-3 days...

I'm mad about my /unarmed and /swords yes but I'm mostly mad about my /excavation & /miningI totally agree with Landr0's post. It's 100% accurate.
Danny wrote:
...thus overpowering absolutely everyone, nobody is gonna have a chance anymore.
Landr0 wrote:
BUT, the difference between having high mcmmo pvp skills or not having high mcmmo pvp skills is insignificant.Resetting them will only make it easier to the new players to get into the /mctop list, which is meaningless.

Landr0 explains...
New thread: http://www.minetown.net/forum/page/1/m/672632/viewthread/3510146-mcmmo-skill-lvl-reset#p19989903

Post your own opinion once (Edit post if needed) and don't comment on others opinions.

Locking this one x