Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Well that was offensive
Started by Unknown User

Can you please not try and back peddle.... Both threads were nothing but complaining... Leave it already.
OkiFool66 wrote:
Ok, so, the way that the staff is currently run is that if someone makes a decision to say, ban someone, then that is the staff's opinion on an issue. We stand by the decision of other staff members on an issue that they are in charge of, such as a ban. Even if we do not agree with their decision or the way they have handled the backlash from their actions, we still stand behind them. That is how the minetown staff works.

Bearing this in mind, when one person makes an "oppressive" action, it was not a STAFF decision. It was an individual decision. The majority of the staff are not oppressive. Some members of the staff maybe oppressive sometimes but that is up to them. Sawine trusted them with the power of being part of the staff and so he gave it to them. We honor his decision and back the rest of the staff that he has appointed.

i understand that that is how the staff works. And i use staff purely as a general term.. Ive respected all of you guys. There just needs to be some checks and balances.
ΤΣΟΚΟ™ wrote:
Guys And Like I Said...It Wasn't A Threat, I Was Warning You To Stop...When People Come On MT For The First Time And See Threads About *complaint* And *Complaint*, They Aren't Going To Want To Join...We Are Dealing With ALOT Of People Everyday And Have Been Taking People More Seriously Because Of So...The Past Is Past...So Prepare For A Future And Get Over It...And BTW...I Said To NOT Make Another Thread On This Topic...And Once This Is Locked and you Make Another One, You Will Be Banned! You Have Already Been Warned And You Broke The First Warning...I Am Being Nice By Not Temp Banning you Now...So Take This As Your Chance To Stop Or Have It Your Way...In Jail/ Being Banned...Minetown Is A Private Owned Server...Not A Free Country...Your Voice Can Be Heard, But Too Much Is Too Much And It Will End Up In Consequences...2nd Warning!

The server may be privately owned, but it is publicly funded by the members of the community. Telling people they can't voice themselves is ultimately going to alienate potential donors (like it has for me) and can do just as much damage to newcomer rates. if you look past the whiny tone of some of the posts, you will see that there are valid concerns being raised about the overall handling of server policy, and the impacts of those concerns can be very real whether or not they are allowed to be expressed. Sure, you can say "Shut up, we're the administration, we'll handle things however the hell we want and you keep quiet or we'll ban you", certainly. Will it have consequences for you and the server? Definitely; it's arrogant and alienates members. You reap what you sow, regardless of rank and power. There are many Minecraft servers out there...
The more I hear from both sides and the more the way that staffing is run is explained...the more I think there is a need for some sort of a court system...or consulting...or just...SOMETHING. One person's word being nearly total law is normally bad enough...but an entire mod/admin team whom are each individually judge and jury (and executioner in their own rights) with nary a check and balance other than sawine (who has his mighty hands full) in sight...that scares the bloody hell out of me.
GiggleGasm wrote:
From an outsider looking in... you two just look like children flailing your arms around...

Minetown as grown rapidly and has a large community... mods have to make sure there is no one being too... outrageous in the community that might offend people and disrupt the others. Even if its only 1 in every 20 people, there are alot more people on the server now than in the past so things that they let slide before probably wont now. Get over it the world keeps turning, people keep trolling and people keep stopping the trolls that cross the line...

So hey, lets do something more productive by pulling a Jallaf, start posting unrelated pics of spiderman and such

I honestly don't know what perspective you have on this topic then, Giggle.

The point being made here is something I completely support, and have spoken about myself on several occassions.

This thread is not designed to offend or mock the good and hard work staff do. This thread is simply open and honest feedback following certain events that have occurred on the server.

It would be good to NOT lock this thread.

I think that our sensible and committed staff would prefer to hear what the community has to say, rather than "sweeping" it under the rug and continuing their blissful day.

The important point here: >>>>>

Following his ban has put the spotlight on Minetown and its staff. It has highlighted the imbalance and biased attitude which appears to be the case, from our perspective. I would like to continue to discuss this topic so that we, as a community can achieve unity again, without fear of being suppressed and burried for speaking openly and honestly.

Staff have the best intentions for the server, and so do we.
When there is an extreme case then it is put to the staff as a whole, but day to day justice is usually minor and does not need the full attention of the staff team.
I'm probably stepping WAY out of place here, but when it comes to things that are permaban offences...I think those should probably be labeled "extreme offences". Because, when I think of "day to day justice" I normally think of "jail time" and "kick" and "temp ban." The fact that just one staff member holds in their hand the ability to permaban (which is essentially "killing" the person so far as the server goes) someone as part of "day to day justice" without any other input other than their own feelings about the situation. That, as I said, scares me. Especially if/when you get anyone who's new to being a mod or admin making these kinds of decisions. I, personally, have been a website administrator/moderator since I was 13. For the first couple years, I will admit, I was power hungry. If I hadn't had my co-workers and those above me to watch my actions and correct any mistakes or punishments that were too harsh I would have killed the website then and there. What I'm afraid of with this situation is that there AREN'T those people to correct the mistakes and too-harsh punishments. People ARE getting permabanned for offences that should be jail time and vice-versa, and all the other mods will say is "We're administration it's our business not yours," "Well it's <name's> decision not mine." And the worst one of all, "if you don't like it you don't have to play here." If it continues, I fear for the future of the server. I love minetown, I don't want it to die a horrible death of over-moderation induced inactivity.
A heated debate...? Time to put my own two-pennoth in <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

I'll agree, and disagree, with some of what has been said here...the word ass isn't really offensive, especially when only being used in mild TERRIBLE puns. It wasn't being used to spite someone,just as a bit of a joke. If Tprezzle was spamming uncensored rude words in the chat box then sure, kick him and mute him, maybe a temp ban.

However I was on yesterday so I could see that he was REALLY ASKING FOR IT, constantly digging in. But...A jailing to sober him up, or dropping him over a volcano (which let's be honest always cheers us up) to distil the tension, would probably have gone down without too much of a fuss.

Banning him for something that would appear to be seemingly minor will only incite a load of players fueled up on righteousness to comments and then lightly flame mods. This will only lead to more punishment and as such MORE complaining...vicious circle.

I'm NOT stating the Mods are doing their job wrong, but nor am I stating that the people who have posted before me have worthless opinions. I've said it before, and I 'll say it again, MineTown is a quite closely-knit community, and by irritating one player who is well known, you'll end up irritating tens of others.

I've seen before that my opinions are usually ignorant of the situation at hand, so I 'll end it there <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

DUN dun dunnnn
My problem lately in the inconsistency of bans. Someone will used x-ray, dupe or otherwise exploit for personal gain, get banned and just say "im so sorry i didnt know" and get a 5 day ban or sometimes less. Other people do the same thing or sometime a lesser offense and get perma banned. In my opinion anyone to be found exploiting in any way should be perma banned, no jail, no temp but gone forever! But before I go too far off topic here I think there should be a set in stone, no gray area set of rules as far as bans go for all mods to go by that way there is no inconsistency as far as whats a perma, whats a temp and whats jail time.
Can I just point out, that when a situation gets so bad that an ADMIN has to step in and ban the said person, what does that say about the situation?

He was doing his job. And I back him up 100%.