Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Removing the glass to glowstone plugin
Started by [E] randalserrano

sovietscottie wrote:
Fettuccini is right, netherrack is a cheap viable solution instead of glowstone for city lighting, torches will work fine if placed well (even if you have a modern city)

In my opinion, alot of glowstone is really tacky anyways.

I'm not sure that's quite what Fettuchini was saying, and I have to agree with HKX-4-7, it was very handy to be able to light netherrack with redstone because it meant that you didn't have to wait for a mod to answer your PE and also if someone came along and, for some reason, put out the fire, you would need to remake the petition and start waiting again. One time a mod even closed my petition, asking to light some netherrack, telling me to just use redstone to light it!!
I like the idea of *not* being able to get glowstone through conversion. This will make glowstone a pretty valuable material to have, and i, as a business man, like this idea.

However i tell you right now that townshop is not selling glowstone again soon, and when it starts selling i foresee a price of 2d per glow. Blame and call me names if you wish, but this is my prevision.

I understand that there are lots of glowstone in the nether, but i notice that netherbrick, for instance, is not at all abundant at market. At least at low rates.

Sure people can go gather all the netherbrick and glow from the nether, but they can also go make obby or sandstone and get rich, but do they? My experience in the last months tells me that any player that tries to flood the market alone, fails shortly. Even organized groups may have an hard time supplying good materials (like logs)....

Is the market so flood on materials? Beside glass (actually on temporary shortage) and stone, i believe the market is always in shortage.

Now, getting out my business skin and understanding the "This will screw major projects" i remind that a middle term solution was already up for sometime. When you could convert to glow but would not be able to pick it up (due to FB-EXTRA perms). This was when glow rate grew to 1g for 3, not to long ago.

Dont think that this will turn glowstone worthless cause it does not. Actually it was the situation we had some weeks ago and i assure you i still sold a lot of glow.

So briefly, Allowing glass->glow convertion not allowing the converted glow picking might be a middle ground solution.
Trust me lost.... I know the feeling...

I tried to change the rate of glowstone back to 8g a stack. its such a useful and beautiful material. In my opinion its a Necessity. When i was a Minecraft Singleplayer n00b, I had tried to make plans to build a good house. My design was entirely glowstone. I read the wiki a second time. I need to find 3 diamonds, explore through the dangerous maze called the nether and return home alive to make my design close to a reality.

Glowconvert's downfall was the removal of this plugin. Although more annoying than glow-soul, it made glowstone so easy. I guess the staff thought TOO easy... and removed it altogether.

May I remind everyone that you need Glowstone in order to Make redstone lamps? If breaking glowstone yeilds on par 3glowdust, how are we expected to replace all our glowstone-on-off lights with the redstone lamps? Just seems hard to me.

Lost, if glowstone will sell for 128diamonds a stack soon, then with my huge store of redstone and stocking all gold-selling shops out of glowstone, should I be able to make 256diamonds a stack of redstone lamps?
If coming across glowstone will prove difficult for you, then make a new thread in server suggestion suggesting it be added to the CS or Adminshop. No use in complaining about it. Honestly, I found 2 stacks of glowstone today (averaging 3 dust per block broke, yes). The nether is not empty. You just have to devote enough time to go through it and find the glowstone people have left behind. Honestly, I went from the spawn and within 10 minutes found some glowstone. Yes, some parts are barren of glowstone, but others are rich in resources. Remember, the nether world is huge, just as big as the main world (as far as I know). Just go out exploring.
Pokemon wrote:
Trust me lost.... I know the feeling...

I tried to change the rate of glowstone back to 8g a stack. its such a useful and beautiful material. In my opinion its a Necessity. When i was a Minecraft Singleplayer n00b, I had tried to make plans to build a good house. My design was entirely glowstone. I read the wiki a second time. I need to find 3 diamonds, explore through the dangerous maze called the nether and return home alive to make my design close to a reality.

Glowconvert's downfall was the removal of this plugin. Although more annoying than glow-soul, it made glowstone so easy. I guess the staff thought TOO easy... and removed it altogether.

May I remind everyone that you need Glowstone in order to Make redstone lamps? If breaking glowstone yeilds on par 3glowdust, how are we expected to replace all our glowstone-on-off lights with the redstone lamps? Just seems hard to me.

Lost, if glowstone will sell for 128diamonds a stack soon, then with my huge store of redstone and stocking all gold-selling shops out of glowstone, should I be able to make 256diamonds a stack of redstone lamps?

Im sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Glowstone isnt a necessity, since they arent the onlygood source of lighting available (torches), it is purely a luxury item that was meant to be more challenging to get because of this. That being said, and as I keep saying, glowstone is NOT that hard to collect in the nether, especially considering mobs are basically not even a factor there with server lag.

I understand that major projects will be slowed down by this, but anyone who says they cant complete a project because of it is just being horrendously lazy.

I, for one, am glad that this plugin is gone. People will (hopefully) start to lose the idea that everything should be available to everyone with little to no effort being put in. And no, making glass doesn't take much effort. At all. Sand is rediculously abundant on the server, and with lava furnaces you can make enormous quantities of glass easily.
I agree with you a lot- I did sound pretty lazy back there. I think i should go to the nether for glow. Mobs wont be a problem with lag you're right.

Anyone wanna come with? ^-^

Note- No pvp allowed in group. Seriously... thats why i normally dont go in the nether in the first place.
Poke, I'm down. Also, going for glowstone you shouldn't encounter any mobs save for ghasts... zombie pigs are passive until you attack them.

In addition, I NEVER see anyone in the nether when I go there.
I would definitely go...except I've been slacking on my ejumacation things and need to get cracking before I get myself behind.
I understand the reasoning as far as when it comes to market value and such and some people saying there is better lighting options and then others saying glowstone is easy to find in the nether. Problem is... better and controllable lighting requires glow to make. going to the nether sucks because that place is a disgusting pain in the butt that I choose to avoid because of the fact that it carries no enjoyment for me to be there. I want to spend as little time there as possible. I will also never go to the end because it holds no value for my enjoyment of the game. I am not and and after careful consideration, will not be getting involved in the economy of minetown anymore than necessary. I just like to build. I would even be hapy building for people for free as long as they supply the materials. I dont want to make a ton of glow and then sell it on the market. I want to make a bunch of glow, turn it into red lamps, and creative some amazing things with it for others to enjoy. Removal of this feature does not ruin the game for me nor does it ruin minetown for me. it does seriously however limit the capabilities of not just myself but many others who I am sure are just here to build.
Wallaby wrote:
I understand the reasoning as far as when it comes to market value and such and some people saying there is better lighting options and then others saying glowstone is easy to find in the nether. Problem is... better and controllable lighting requires glow to make. going to the nether sucks because that place is a disgusting pain in the butt that I choose to avoid because of the fact that it carries no enjoyment for me to be there. I want to spend as little time there as possible. I will also never go to the end because it holds no value for my enjoyment of the game. I am not and and after careful consideration, will not be getting involved in the economy of minetown anymore than necessary. I just like to build. I would even be hapy building for people for free as long as they supply the materials. I dont want to make a ton of glow and then sell it on the market. I want to make a bunch of glow, turn it into red lamps, and creative some amazing things with it for others to enjoy. Removal of this feature does not ruin the game for me nor does it ruin minetown for me. it does seriously however limit the capabilities of not just myself but many others who I am sure are just here to build.

Three contradictions within that...

You choose not to go to the nether because it's not enjoyable and state you'll only do things you enjoy. Think of life for a minute. I highly doubt you do what you enjoy every second of the day in real life. Minecraft is actually a survival of a person, which can be said to reflect someone's life (on the imaginary hypothetical). You state you choose not to deal with gathering resources and only want to build, but in order to build you need resources. I find it difficult to believe that you don't do anything for yourself, in stating you'd build for free. If that were the case, you'd stick with single player (no offense, but doing creative mode single player is what you stated you enjoy doing via implication). It doesn't limit your capabilities. Believe me when I say that. If you actually spent the time to gather the resources needed for a build, your capabilities still exist. Capability has nothing to do with glowstone conversions being taken away. Now you have to spend time. Of course there'll be lazy people claiming that there's either no glowstone in the nether or that their game play is ruined now. You must also realize that many people use glass for redstone circuits due to the fact it is easy to make and obtain as well as transparent. Therefore the glass/glow plugin was hindering many player's game play. As mentioned in a previous post, the soul/glow converter was changed to the glass/glow converter as the plugin itself. Glowstone is actually very abundant, you just have to know where to look (hint hint hint Mr. Baconbitts stores located all across the server are more than fully stocked with glowstone).

P.S. A market is actually what differentiates a server from single player (especially one of our size). Stating you won't have anything further to deal with it is basically saying you're rejecting a significant part of what makes this server what it is.