Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Too easy to be banned?
Started by [E] BeaSTWiTHiN

Im sorry, but did you not agree to these rules when you joined the server? Any of these rules can result in a ban. there is nothing outlandish listed there.

Do not break the rules and you will not be banned.

If you do not agree with these rules, you can go play somewhere else.
You permanently ban people for minor offences. It's like dumping someone in jail for a year because they were speeding.
Do not commit the offense and you will not be banned. Its not a hard concept.

Name a minor offense, an instance of breaking a rule, and see if you can explain why it would ever be ok to break that rule.
Well I guess I got what I wanted out of this thread, I even got my spelling corrected. Lovely.

Well I didn't really get too many straight answers from the community and authorities, I can see there is still a scare factor. You don't want to act out infront of them.

As to my previous GM responsibilities in WoW, I didn't say it was better or worse or anything than Minecraft, I meant it because I dealt with a few hundred people every shift, humans; just like here.

I was wondering what the most common ban was, kinda got an answer to that.

I am cautious still, and not really feeling like I will fit in too well but I guess I'll just keep my chatter to a Vent server or something, and type like a good boy

in-game.

Anyway, cheers everyone. Hope to see you sometime soon.

-Mat

P.S. I probably won't respond to this anymore, nothing personal just got what I wanted.
Rules were written for a reason, They need to be followed, no matter how minor they are. Also, its not ALWAYS a ban, it sometimes is a temp, or even jail. so dont say " its like putting someone in jail for speeding." Dont do the crime, you wont server the time. Its as simple as that. Trust me, if you read the rules, twice every day for a week, i bet you wont get banned, i know the rules off the back of my hand. Just follow them, and you will be fine.
"Don't break the rules and you won't get banned" sounds very simple and straightforward and unarguable on paper, but I've seen a good deal of murky cases in my not-too-long time here. People have been permabanned for taking things out of chests that have lost their protection, making it impossible to tell whether someone still owns that chest or not. People were just expected to know not to take stuff out of any chests even though there is nothing like that outlined specifically in the rules. Honestly, I don't see how a newcomer to the server would have a way of knowing that they can't touch any chests under any conditions. You generally gain that knowledge from reading the ban appeals of the less fortunate. I was banned (later canceled) for not even taking stuff but just looking into a chest named "Trash" which would have been private before the LWC plugin crash a few weeks ago but after the crash bore no indication of ownership. I hate to say it, but it does feel to me like I'm treading on thin ice 24/7. I do feel like there are plenty of situations where a single misclick may result, if not in a permaban, at least in a fair amount of headache trying to explain what happened
Griefing/Stealing is not allowed

That is in the rules.

I ask you this... if it is not your chest.... why would you ever need to open it? Let alone take anything out of it?
Wug wrote:
"Don't break the rules and you won't get banned" sounds very simple and straightforward and unarguable on paper, but I've seen a good deal of murky cases in my not-too-long time here. People have been permabanned for taking things out of chests that have lost their protection, making it impossible to tell whether someone still owns that chest or not. People were just expected to know not to take stuff out of any chests even though there is nothing like that outlined specifically in the rules. Honestly, I don't see how a newcomer to the server would have a way of knowing that they can't touch any chests under any conditions. You generally gain that knowledge from reading the ban appeals of the less fortunate. I was banned (later canceled) for not even taking stuff but just looking into a chest named "Trash" which would have been private before the LWC plugin crash a few weeks ago but after the crash bore no indication of ownership. I hate to say it, but it does feel to me like I'm treading on thin ice 24/7. I do feel like there are plenty of situations where a single misclick may result, if not in a permaban, at least in a fair amount of headache trying to explain what happened

It's pretty simple, if it's not yours, don't touch it. Unless it's a dungeon chest.

Why on earth would anybody put their grubby little hands in something that isn't protected? Just because they're greedy?

We don't tolerate that, it's plain and simple. It really isn't hard to understand. If you follow that, you will have no issues.

Newcomers have to click "I have read these rules and understand them" when they apply. They are required to read the rules, agree to them, then follow them, so the argument that newcomers won't know is a poor excuse.
Griefing and stealing are not allowed, but see it takes time actually BEING on the server to learn what that means here. I've been to many servers before where abandoned properties sit half-demolished and no one would ban you for taking materials off of THOSE. Some servers have a "If it's not protected, it's yours" policy. Others don't. Is there anything in the rules that clarifies these details? No. When you're the one enforcing the rules, they always seem perfectly clear and intuitive. When you're just coming to a new server, you honestly have no idea what the hell is allowed or not, regardless of how well you read these uninformatively generic rules.
World-Specific Rules

Griefing is anything that is destructive to the work another player has done, whether taking materials or placing them. Creating a player death trap is also considered griefing.

Seems pretty specific to me.