Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] For the love of God reset the Nether.
Started by [E] Osmosis

It depends. If you open a portal in the overworld, there will be a portal leading back to the overworld, but it may not lead you to the same spot if it linked to an existing portal in the nether instead of creating a new one.

If I create portal A in the overworld, the game will automatically create portal B in the nether so that I can get back. If I create another portal, portal C, within 1024 blocks of portal A, it will link to portal B. So you can go A -> B, C -> B, and B -> A, but there is no way to get back to C from the nether other than to go through portal B and then walk from portal A to portal C.
Thats what happened with my portal. When i go through it and come back again, I end up coming back through my neighbor's portal.
I think the reason people want a reset is because it looks like the nether's been around since before 1.0. ANY chunk that was within eyeshot of ANY player at ANY time before 1.0 was generated without fortresses. So you have to go a ways out just to find pristine terrain from 1.0... It's not something that should be done all the time, but because of obsolescence issues with old terrain, I think the nether should get a wipe. There are some extremely successful servers that do a total wipe at EVERY map generator update, and while that seems rather harsh, it makes sure everything is on the same page. As you know, this is something that Minetown's mainland is suffering from quite badly right now. But there are no real constructions in the nether, so I don't see why it shouldn't be done once. Its map algorithm barely ever gets updated so it'll remain coherent for a long time to come. It might knock it offline for a few hours or something, but I think it's a change that will make a very lasting positive impact in the long run
Based upon what are you saying there are no constructions in the nether? I and a number of other players have large netherfarms. Why should we have to rebuild just so that it's a little bit easier for others to find blaze spawners to steal and sell? A couple thousand blocks is not far. With little exception, everything more than 2000 blocks from netherspawn should be post-1.0 chunks. In fact, most of the land past 2000 blocks hasn't even been generated yet.
Darth, from what I gather the official policy is zero protection on anything. Pvp, griefing, etc, are all legal, and thus any property you make there is at your own risk of losing. It there's a no protection policy, I don't see why there should be a "don't update in order to save people's stuff" policy, either...

And you'd think it's unexplored past 2000, but my first-hand experience puts the unexplored limit closer to 5000.. Try hiking around to see how long it takes to get that far out. Even 2000 takes an hour or so if I recall correctly...
Staff has given their ruling on resetting the nether, and the answer was no.
You can walk 14400+ blocks in an hour (I think the exact number is 16920 blocks, but I can't remember the exact walking speed). Now, I know the nether isn't flat land, so feel free to take that into account.... but I personally have found a good number of fortresses between 2000 and 3000 blocks of netherspawn. If you go to the edge of the overworld (plenty of warps exist), then you *start* at something like 1500 blocks from spawn.

And we have no protection from other players, no, but that's different than world wipes. There's things you can do to keep a place safe from other players. Nothing we can do about a world wipe.
Irethena wrote:
Staff has given their ruling on resetting the nether, and the answer was no.

Even though the answer is no, we now know why, as well as other useful information about the neather.

I'm glad the thread was not immediately locked, and hope that it will show up when people search "neather" or "neather farms".

A ton of useful info has been given out, and I learned more then I did prior to this thread <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Another question, regarding to Darth's post:
Darth Android wrote:
There's things you can do to keep a place safe from other players.

Being PVP is turned on, are we allowed to create traps for people to defend our farms against looters?
I for one would like to thank the Staff for keeping a firm position on the nether and keeping it both lawless and as it stands.
Definitely not needed. I have pulled out over 80 blaze spawners from untouched nether forts. The nether has tons of untapped resources you just gotta put a little time and effort into it. If you walked around the nether for a few hours and didn't find a fort your probably going in circles lol.