Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Eximus -WoW
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

Either way its definitely dodgy and will give minetown a bad name for running an illegal gaming server. I would not like that to happen.
There is a difference between the law and a legal contract. If you never even agreed to a contract , how can you be in breach of it...?

People don't agree to the law, the law is above them. You do however agree to a EULA, but what your saying is that without agreeing to a contract you can still breach it?

Also id like you to show me a court case other than wowscape, because i cannot find any.
The game itself is copyrighted material you cant use it as a server without it being illegal, nothing to do with the contract.

Yes we may not agree to the contract so we're not breaching from that aspect but at the end of the day WOW is copyrighted material and there is no getting round that.
http://www.xtremetop100.com/

Also i dont think all them class themselves as having a bad name...
By hosting an emulator, your technically not doing anything wrong as you never signed a EULA, because you never actually play the game when you host it. This means that people who play private servers are technically the ones who could have a legal issue.

How an admin could think that emulation is hijacking ( Illegally seize ) is beyond me and i personally wouldnt let anyone staff a server if they didnt know.

This is a quote taken DIRECTLY from ZakDank

this is direct from the blizzard legal terms

Q u o t e:

(iv) facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service. All connections to the Game and/or the Service, whether created by the Game Client or by other tools and utilities, may only be made through methods and means expressly approved by Blizzard. Under no circumstances may you connect, or create tools that allow you or others to connect, to the Game's proprietary interface other than those expressly provided by Blizzard for public use.

Quote from ToS provided by Lomanic.

Another Quote from ZakDank

These are rewrote from the bottom up by a team of developers and have nothing to do with blizzard at all.

Blizzard ToS

modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of any Game or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

I would also agree I would LOVE for there to be a WoW private server but I am siding with Sayomie in saying we should stay legitimate. Hosting a WoW private server is to sketchy. Even with the odds of "Not Being Caught" who wants to go around not knowing if they will be caught or not? If you are legit you never have to worry about this.
you never signed a EULA

This is direct from the blizzard legal terms ( aka EULA )

modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of any Game or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

Nothing is modified.
THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE GAME (DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.] IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE GAME. IF YOU REJECT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE, YOU MAY CALL (800)757-7707 TO REQUEST A FULL REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE.

You do not need to hit accept on the login screen to have agreed to this.
When the contract is backed US Copyright laws then it can still be in breach. WoW is considered the intellectual and physical property of Blizzard entertainment.

http://www.geekosystem.com/blizzard-private-server-lawsuit/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warcraft3reignofchaos/news/6132467/blizzard-wins-hacking-lawsuit

these are links that show the wowscape court case and the ruling that makes it illegal to run a private server or any server on anything other then battle.net
mrbaconbitts wrote:
THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE GAME (DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.] IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE GAME. IF YOU REJECT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE, YOU MAY CALL (800)757-7707 TO REQUEST A FULL REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE.

You do not need to hit accept on the login screen to have agreed to this.

Well this means it is technically illegal then.
Whoever wrote the Article wrote:
Back in October, Blizzard Entertainment filed a lawsuit against Alyson Reeves and her company Scapegaming, for violating the end user license agreement of World of Warcraft by setting up a private server for her own profit.

Just Sayin' >_>