Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Eximus -WoW
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

Mr.Flip wrote:
"Even if game sites collect no money, they still operate in violation of copyright laws,"

That's what I saw

yes because they were using stolen source code, which is a breach of copyright....
While I would play on one if we got it, and would even help with it this should be known.

this is direct from the blizzard legal terms

Q u o t e:

(iv) facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service. All connections to the Game and/or the Service, whether created by the Game Client or by other tools and utilities, may only be made through methods and means expressly approved by Blizzard. Under no circumstances may you connect, or create tools that allow you or others to connect, to the Game's proprietary interface other than those expressly provided by Blizzard for public use.

Blizzard is the only company that had won legal battles with private servers. Also as donations to this site go to improve the server, they could win a monatary settlement against Eximus.
Donations are not profit! Some servers use them as profits and thats why blizzard pulls the donation is a profit thing. They have no rights to the donations as they could have been donated without the existance of blizzard. They are completely separate if the money goes towards the server. You dont donate for wow , you donate to the server and get a gift for doing so.

As for the quote, its part of the EULA, running a server never requires you to accept that EULA as you never run the client. How can you breach a contract you never even agreed to?
Sounds too dodgy for me.

From what I read you need Blizzard to approve the server, if they sue you they will pull 'donations count as income' and minetown would be screwed.

This isnt even a necessary thing to have a WOW server. If its that desperate make a team with players and go on another server.

I believe this seems too much hassal for something we could easily get sued for. I think it would be better to use the time to focus on improving the current servers rather than taking this on and causing more problems to deal with.

x
What is this I don't even.

I don't play WoW anyway. I don't care.
I WANT BATTLEFIELD LIKE DIS IF U WANT ..
#Jallaf_In_Dubai wrote:
I WANT BATTLEFIELD LIKE DIS IF U WANT ..

Caps are bad...
Why do I fail so?
Well Danni the thing is , it isn't easy to get sued for. The only server i have known to be sued is Wowscape where the owner was making 500 grand per month while the server cost 10 grand a month. Every other server that was target got a cease and desist email, some continued regardless and blizzard took no action. A lot of people posting here are speculating stuff which doesn't even happen. Donations are nothing to do with blizzard unless they are being used as a profit ( something other than server upkeep / development ), if we follow the same logic, notch could take down any server because he hasnt given any right for minecraft to be used to make a profit, but it just doesnt work like that. Donations are not profit. There are over 100,000 world of warcraft servers, practically all using donations, and the only one sued was Wowscape. So going by past events the chance of being sued would be something close to 1 in 100,000+ , its like winning the lottery. Im sure the people who play private servers know exactly what im on about, its the people who think there are just a couple servers here and there, but the reality is there is tens of thousands.

EDIT: Also if there ever was a legal issue, its as simple as taking the server down.
The game itself is the copywritten property of Blizzard entertainement. You dont need to agree to the EULA to violate it. Also dnations that go towards the server the improve it or maintain it can be used as proceeds from the game. Regardless of if they were for WoW or not.

the arguement of not agreeing to the EULA and therefore not being able to be in violation of it is the same as arguing that can rob and steal and kill in America because you never agreed to the constitution or any signed laws. It is copywritten and protected material.

Im not saying if we run a server armed federal agents are going to break down Sawines door and haul him off. Im just saying no matter how you look at it, it is illegal. Other companies may not go after people who run private servers, but Blizzard does, and they win in court over 90% of the time.