Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] World clean up
Started by [E] sawine

sawine wrote:
WallRunner wrote:

Maybe if you guys do end up going with option 2, you can try installing MCRegion? It might reduce load on the server and reduce server lag. http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/427500-thought-you-guys-might-want-to-check-this-out-mcregion

From the reply im seeing on the thread, this seems to make your server more unstable now that it runs under Bukkit.

Maybe this release will get better later on, I still dont know why Notch didnt made that a built-in feature of minecraft.

He's actually working on a new save format like it, according to his blog. I think he's recoding it rather than just tacking on the MCRegion code to make it more compatible, since like you said, it is now causing unstableness with stuff like bukkit.

From,

Chris.

I've refreshed a few times, and each time it's been tied. 4v4, 5v5, 6v6, and now 7v7.

Are we really so evenly split that we're voting in pairs?
SpaceNarwhal wrote:
Lapis Block = Admin store.

Problemo el soleved(o).

Yeah, I dont know spanish.

~SN

This could be an option, since for the trees we only have to replant some i guess...
Both options are viable in my opinion though i'd hate to add lapis to admins store (just think of all the people who are going to shout ADMIN). I wrote up my own version of each before and if sawine could look at i can understand how much of the idea is usable. http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/449338-server-cleanupmove-to-deal-update. You can use that also to see some of the opinion as it has a decent share of votes. Regardless of which option we chose we should have a preservation request thread started up once the course of action is decided. I'm not going to vote because both ways make sense if it can be done well. Just make sure that regardless of the method we compensate for the update.
sawine wrote:
SpaceNarwhal wrote:
Lapis Block = Admin store.

Problemo el soleved(o).

Yeah, I dont know spanish.

~SN

This could be an option, since for the trees we only have to replant some i guess...

From what I read, the new trees only appear in chunks generated after the update,even if planted after the update, and are extremely rare.

From,

Chris.

I'll take option 2. Playing these temp servers was way more fun than the normal ones because survival was actually survival. You worked together to make a base to survive the nights and mobs were REALLY scary. plus exploring an entire new world is fun! *cough* of course that means potential larger oceans.
Hmm I just had few afterthoughts

-It will be really complicated for me to copy all the areas

-It will be really long

-Since the map would be newly generated, people might not be satisfied of their new city location.

-I think the main argument that makes people voting option 2 is because they want to be able to mine lapis under their base.

So...

I think I will edit the map with MCEdit to fix some areas, and when the server come back on the remaining areas will be fixed by admins landscaping.

Also we will probally move the servers again, to some better hardware with another compagny. (Its not done yet, but its an option)

So that means that the server could be able the handle the expansion with no problems, plus the fact that Bukkit is really more stable than Hmod.

I will still leave this thread run for few hours.

seeing as notch will continue to patch minecraft indefinitely, won't this continue to be a problem in the future at intervals of a few months?

anyway, i think for now stick with the map we've got and try to work the updates around it in the best way you can. at some indefinite point in the future, when resources/ space have been exhausted or a patch makes the current map untenable, we will have to start afresh. so for people who like this option, it will probably happen at some point in the futue just not right now.

for the moment though i think there's still life in the old minetown map yet.

PS if we have a house we want to save from destruction how can we communicate if we can't get on the server and take a screencap?
Notch may implement Bukkit into Minecraft itself.

And for the trees, I dont see the point in the new trees.

Add the new trees to the admin shop.

One is covered in black dots, and the other is slightly darker.

If you want to tree shape, buy leaves.

~SN
The latter option would be time-consuming, and we would spend another maybe week on the temp server.

~SN