Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] World clean up
Started by [E] sawine

This thread is a follow up of the SERVER CLEANUP thread. Which can be found here: http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/444147-server-cleanup/page/1
sawine wrote:
Ok... Ive looked around a bit and I think the best way to do this would be to use MCEdit, a out of game program that allow you to do mostly everything. Its a map editor.

There are 2 options:

1- Clean the griefed and ugly areas of the world and leave the towns where they are atm and expand the world of 1000 or 2000 more blocks.

(This option means that the new features of the latest update like the new trees and lapis will only be found in the newly generated 1000 or 2000 radius wide area)

2- Copy and Paste the currents cities and areas over a newly generated world. That would mean that the ressources would be found everywhere, but the location of your city would change, as the whole world map.

(This option is also very more time consuming and complicated because you would have to specify the areas i need to save.)

I seem to recall reading about there being some type of function in one of the Bukkit mods that allowed Admins to "randomly" place types of blocks in a chunk or group of chunks, which, if possible might make the 1st option a little more viable if you can put Lapis Lazuli and such in a chunk after you clear it out.

I voted for the first option if you can do the above. I'm still torn because, while I don't want to lose some areas on the map that probably aren't important enough to be transferred, I had an awesome time playing on the temp servers because there was an actual element of survival to it.

Banding together on temp map 2 with a bunch of other people that one night was awesome, since we worked together to get a shelter up and ended up laying the foundations for a town. That is the kind of thing cities should be all about imo, not one guy building a ton of walls and charging for lots.

I'd be up for option 2 but I know that it's definitely not the popular option right now since people don't want to lose their stuff.

From,

Chris.
It just seems easier to reset the chunks. I mean why move it all if you can just reset old chunks. For blue blocks and white trees it is NOT worth a move.
The new items are very important if you mabye can buy them in the admin store
Quote:
I seem to recall reading about there being some type of function in one of the Bukkit mods that allowed Admins to "randomly" place types of blocks in a chunk or group of chunks, which, if possible might make the 1st option a little more viable if you can put Lapis Lazuli and such in a chunk after you clear it out.

I saw that plugin, it has been claimed to be a bit buggy and dangerous to use and also could screw up some people underground buildings. Using this plugin and "randomly" walking to spawn lapis underground, would almost be as much complicated as option 2.

IMO its a bit too complex only for lapis.

But maybe i should look again if there was any updates to the plugin.
Reggief wrote:
It just seems easier to reset the chunks. I mean why move it all if you can just reset old chunks. For blue blocks and white trees it is NOT worth a move.

If you could point me where you saw a topic on this, it could help. The only options I know about this are to completely delete chunks, it doesnt give me the option to regenerate them.
Lapis Block = Admin store.

Problemo el soleved(o).

Yeah, I dont know spanish.

~SN
Yeah I thought about that, imagine my surprise when I go to my storage room to find my chests replaced with Lapis Lazuli ore, lol.

I was just wanting to see if that was a viable option, I'll keep a lookout for anything else that might be of help.

Maybe if you guys do end up going with option 2, you can try installing MCRegion? It might reduce load on the server and reduce server lag. http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/427500-thought-you-guys-might-want-to-check-this-out-mcregion

Mojang included this guy's other mod, FastRender/Optimine in the actual game with the beta update, he makes pretty good stuff.

From,

Chris.
Yeah im stupid and read it wrong. I was thinking about one of the older threads where it said that. Still option 1 is the best.
WallRunner wrote:

Maybe if you guys do end up going with option 2, you can try installing MCRegion? It might reduce load on the server and reduce server lag. http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/427500-thought-you-guys-might-want-to-check-this-out-mcregion

From the reply im seeing on the thread, this seems to make your server more unstable now that it runs under Bukkit.

Maybe this release will get better later on, I still dont know why Notch didnt made that a built-in feature of minecraft.