Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] New Ore ? What do u think!
Started by [E] dead [1]

The Ore

Emerald Ore is an extremely rare block that drops Emeralds.

I wanted to share the opinion of adding it to the "main" currency ?

I will add 3 options.

-Start Discussing !-

Minetown doesn't have a 'main currency' apart from MTC which I doubt would be replaced.

Diamond an gold are not really official currencies and it would be impossible to stop people from using them in there shops as a currency. I mean atm, if people wanted to use glowstone dust as a currency in Minetown there is nothing stopping them, people just don't use it.

There is more of a bartering system going on in Minetown than a set currency seen's as anything an be used as a currency in a shop.

I can't see any reason why emerald would be brought in instead of diamond, gold or mtc and it would be impossible to stop people from using them, and pointless for that matter.

If people feel the need to use Emerald in there shop as a currency there will be nothing stopping them, will there? This is quite pointless actually.
Um , I am here to discuss . If the prices of gold\diamond will decrease <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
I don't feel it will be successful as a main currency, but I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to open up an emerald shop or the staff put up a sign so you can convert an emerald into several diamonds.

Just my opinion in short, because who needs to read a load of text?
Jallaf what would be the reason to put emerald as a 'main currency'
Coffeey wrote:
Jallaf what would be the reason to put emerald as a 'main currency'

One reason to use it is that it is a hard currency. Unlike gold which can be farmed/generated while AFK with zombie pigmen spawners and credits which are injected into the economy all of the time with voting, donating, loot chests, etc,, you need to give something up to get emeralds -- either through trading items with a villager or through tools degrading while mining + time spent mining.

With regard to adopting it as MT's main currency, emeralds are not all that useful except for trading (i.e. they can't be crafted into anything). I don't think the community will naturally move towards using them as currency unless the server's rare / impossible items shops (adminshop, creditshop) switch to emeralds. If the things people want to trade for are only for sale in emeralds (such as rare spawn eggs), people will start trading emeralds in order to buy the items. This happened when Duckshop was added and people could easily sell items for credits (the currency used to buy spawn eggs).
But there doesn't need to be an official change in currency. Even if emerald is made into the new currency, people will continue using gold and diamond
This won't work.

People currently trade in diamonds, they will continue to do so. Diamonds cannot be banned from use in trade.

Personally, I think it would be a nice change. They are technically worthless, just like real money, and as such would be more realistic for the economy.

Diamonds can be used and themselves, are valuable. This is kind of like the gold standard (if anybody doesn't know what that is, it means using gold as money in its equivalent value, like we did in Britain briefly in the early 20th century)

Unfortunately, I CANNOT see this kicking off.
Common sense say's it wont. But I do see that it would be nice that I wouldn't be able to blow all my currency making armor and such.
Well, I think that it would make perfect sense to phase out using gold and diamond as a currency. However, the entire server would have to be gradually weaned off of it, so that everyone can easily adjust to the new system. Personally, I think that currency should not have a crafting use; it should purely be a medium of trade. Emerald currently has no crafting use; it can only be gotten from two places, which are villagers and smelting it from the ore. Since gold and diamond have tons of crafting uses, this makes both of them bad mediums of trade. But since we have been using gold and diamond for quite some time, the value of emerald would have to be adjusted to something that coincides with both gold and diamond's worth and the easiness of getting emeralds. This value would have to be voted on so that it pleases the entire community, so I prefer not to detail a value for emeralds.

Considering that MTC have a completely different way of being obtained, and their value per credit is significantly less than that of a diamond or a gold ingot, this means that there is no reason to phase out MTC. However, the value would most definitely be adjusted to that of the emerald's value.

But then again, like TPrezzle said, just because emeralds are being added in doesn't mean that diamond cannot be used. In fact, any item can be used as a medium of trade. This is because the only effective economy that Minecraft can manage is a resource-based economy. This means that every trade is done through barter, which is what we have been doing this entire time with diamond and gold. The only true currency we had was MTC, because they cannot be crafted; they can only be obtained. So this means that if you wanted to, you could trade with oak logs, obsidian, or whatever item you wanted, and it would still be an OK medium of trade.

The only thing that we can do as staff is suggest a currency, set a fixed value, and see how the community responds to this change. But I'm not sure how that would work, considering how long gold and diamond has been used to trade.