Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Take some words off the chat filter ?
Started by [E] Coffeey

Coffeey wrote:
So its pretty clear, everyone, wants LOL and lololololol unbanned.

If the community, the people who use chat, want LOL and lolololol unbanned, then there is no point in keeping it banned.

If it is going to be kept banned, I would be very grateful if someone who has a say in this plugin could reply to this and explain to people why it is being kept banned...

The chat-filter is there for a reason.

If staff started making decisions based upon community opinion, then half of all ban appeals would be overturned and space cows would dominated the landscape.

I don't see the point in trying to push for changes like this, if we can all live without them.
But lucy this chat filter is something that the community, has to live with. There is no point for the word 'LOL' and 'lololololol' to be on he filter..

If they didnt listen to the community on this one then who would they listen to? Because the community will be the ones affected by the change, whether big or small
Ok....let me re-phrase

What I'm saying is this.

We don't need it - ergo we can live without it.

The words are blocked...who knows why, but they are.

I'm not trying to discredit this thread. I personally am not missing the "forbidden" words.

They're not a necessity - although oxygen is.
LucyLooseLegs wrote:
Coffeey wrote:

If the community, the people who use chat, want LOL and lolololol unbanned, then there is no point in keeping it banned.

If it is going to be kept banned, I would be very grateful if someone who has a say in this plugin could reply to this and explain to people why it is being kept banned...

If staff started making decisions based upon community opinion, then half of all ban appeals would be overturned and space cows would dominated the landscape.

I don't see the point in trying to push for changes like this, if we can all live without them.

Sucks we can't neg people anymore ether, because this would the time to do so.

Based of community opinion? You did not just say that! I would hope that the staff still listens to the community! That's a very hasty accusation you're making about ban appeals as well, for one we can't post in ban appeals anymore to even try to get them overturned...
GACKT wrote:
LucyLooseLegs wrote:
Coffeey wrote:

Based of community opinion? You did not just say that! I would hope that the staff still listens to the community! That's a very hasty accusation you're making about ban appeals as well, for one we can't post in ban appeals anymore to even try to get them overturned...

I'm not the one being hasty, you should have taken the time to read my post properly >.>

I was simply illustrating a simple fact.

Of course community input is considered by staff. That's what the community does.

Although the point I was making was this.

I doubt they will alter the chat filter because:

It's there for a reason.

Just like I doubt that community opinion in favor of banned individuals "changes" or sways staff protocol when it comes to punishment.

Mountain. Molehill.

Post from sawine from a different thread today (posted today)..
sawine wrote:
...But before you claim I'm contradictory in my arguments, caring about members and caring about 12yo kids, is something that shouldn't seen as the same thing in my opinion. The service we offer isn't intended to focus on the 12yo and younger people, they are allowed to use our service, but since they do not consist in the majority of our population and neither consist of our targeted audience, I don't think it's worth to adapt our service for them.

May i ask... if you do not wish to adapt your services for 12yo kids, and i presume younger, then why have a chat filter in place. I dont think

adults would care about swearing much.

Dont mea to catch you out or anything but i saw the post and wanted to point it out.

More importantly why would have a chat filter blocking 'LOL' and 'lolololololol'

I may seem stubborn here, but im just looking for a reasonable answer as to why the words 'LOL' and 'lolololol' are blocked, when people want them unblocked.

In the answer please take into account that the only words im concered about is LOL and lololol

And also why the filter if you dont want to adapt your services for younger people
LucyLooseLegs wrote:
GACKT wrote:
LucyLooseLegs wrote:
Coffeey wrote:

I'm not the one being hasty, you should have taken the time to read my post properly >.>

I was simply illustrating a simple fact.

Of course community input is considered by staff. That's what the community does.

Although the point I was making was this.

I doubt they will alter the chat filter because:

It's there for a reason.

Just like I doubt that community opinion in favor of banned individuals "changes" or sways staff protocol when it comes to punishment.

Mountain. Molehill.

It's there for a reason, state what you think the reason is honestly?

Actually at some points community opinion does sway staff protocols/punishments, rarely.
Coffeey wrote:
Post from sawine from a different thread today (posted today)..
sawine wrote:
...But before you claim I'm contradictory in my arguments, caring about members and caring about 12yo kids, is something that shouldn't seen as the same thing in my opinion. The service we offer isn't intended to focus on the 12yo and younger people, they are allowed to use our service, but since they do not consist in the majority of our population and neither consist of our targeted audience, I don't think it's worth to adapt our service for them.

May i ask... if you do not wish to adapt your services for 12yo kids, and i presume younger, then why have a chat filter in place. I dont think

adults would care about swearing much.

Dont mea to catch you out or anything but i saw the post and wanted to point it out.

More importantly why would have a chat filter blocking 'LOL' and 'lolololololol'

I may seem stubborn here, but im just looking for a reasonable answer as to why the words 'LOL' and 'lolololol' are blocked, when people want them unblocked.

In the answer please take into account that the only words im concered about is LOL and lololol

And also why the filter if you dont want to adapt your services for younger people

Because some 12 year old children are mature enough to be accepted into the server, and we do have to take care for them in some manner.

As to LOL and lolololol, I never even knew those were blocked. I believe LOL is blocked because (by itself) it is an all cap input. So, if you put .LOL it should be fine... I think? Maybe try that out? That's my thought on LOL. As to lolololol... I don't understand why it's banned. Not many people would take the time to write that much lol, in my opinion. I also wish to know why lolololol is banned?

Coffeey, as stated I think (doesn't mean I know for a fact) LOL is banned just because when you type it in by itself, it has all capital letters (caps lock block ban).
Yes LOL may be blocked because it is 3 caps at the start of a sentance, but still it is technically blocked. lolololololol is definately banned, with no reason since nobody has ever complained about it.

I am clearly not being listened to by any member of staff who can have a say in the change of the filter, so i give up.

I also dont know why because clearly people want the chat filter changed, maybe the staff should listen to us on this one, since it has something to do with us, and we should have a say in what WE are protected from.

I guess its decided for us.... you say you don't want to babysit us, and then go ahead and make decisions for us, and dont let us make our own decisions. We are asking NOT to be babysitted, which the chat filter is basically doing. Im not asking for drastic changes in it like 'Fuck' and 'C*nt' and those type of words to be taken out. I am asking for 3 caps be allowed at the start of a sentance to allow for LOL. Also to bring back 'lolololololol'.

Its confusing when you say you dont want to babysit us, then do so, and when we asked to be not babysitted, you wont listen.
Happy birthday Coffeey <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>