Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Correctly handling 1.0 world
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

Yeah, this is how we run our server. Sure it doesn't look nice, but if we want players to have essentially complete freedom to build whatever they want, then cobble houses count too.
I see what your saying , but the idea behind it is that 1.0 will not just be 'another world' which its heading for at the moment. I personally see this as a chance to try something completely new to minetown and still keep the old. For people wanting to build, they can go to the old map, no problems at all. For people wanting a home, they can work in a city for a flat or something similar.

The only thing the staff would do, is agree which cities can be built. When i say this i dont mean lets allow 80% of the applications, i mean the cities that will thrive, honor, covetown, zion etc. The cities which have themes, not just 'hey heres some land pay me 3 gold build anything'. im talking player controlled cities where ranks may become a part of it. With the lack of /tpa now for normal members, they will be able to meet people at THEIR house by going to THEIR city rather than having to have warps made or wandering aimlessly.

In short -

1.Staff give permission to build city ( only decent cities )

2.City owners govern their cities.

3.???

4.PROFIT!
Not a fan of the idea. If the server was full creative, then yes, by all means there should be regulation (perhaps there would also be a periodically wiped "practice world" to go with it). But it's not creative, it's a survival server, and you can't therefore enforce no-build policies... I personally prefer having freedom to do whatever, it's more fun to play that way. Maybe there should be a separate "showcase world" dimension where every block is free and only the best builders are allowed access. But that should should NOT be the main world.
There are "non-decent" cities that DO thrive, I can assure you. This is differentiation, based on a personal bias. Basically you are forcing new members to the old world, which is NOT where they'll be starting... why force them there when they could start in the new world? They could build a dirt hut, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade and then have a magnificent mansion that they build, all from a dirt hut. Just like Danni... except Danni has a portion of his dirt hut which he tends to bring the bad boys over and punish them, then ban them (hehe, jk, hehe).

I don't see any logical basis for this "profit" you speak of. I know cities that I consider to look disgusting, make more profit than good looking cities. Why? Disgusting cities give 200% freedom (yes, 200%) where as nice cities give roughly 70% freedom in your builds. As well, ranks are already a part of cities. MCTowns allows for it, even. Even in factions, you have officers of different ranks. Heck, look at Espero, TKT, etc... As well, the warp system is not disrupting our socialization. In fact, it improves it. Would you rather walk/spring for 3 hours straight going to your friend's city? Or would you rather warp to the city spawn/warp which gives instantaneous travel between cities? Normal members (since you talked about them) can NOT gain personal warps. Therefore, 70% of members will NOT have a warp directly to their house. As well, people don't /tpa to someone randomly. They have to know each other. I'm not going to accept some random /tpa from someone unless I know them (whether for a business transaction or a friend). By that reasoning, people do meet people. They meet by either talking on chat, or by seeing each other in the environment. Again, no logical basis, sorry to say.

Also, 3 gold to build is extremely cheap. Standard price is about 5g for a 5x5, last I remember.

Again, staff have to agree... from what Danni says, it needs to not add on to their current workload. Either way, though, I'm pretty sure 60% (at least) of the MT community will disagree with your idea.

Again, no offense or insulting is intended. I apologize if it does such to you.
As an owner of a town myself I see where you are comming from...

Simplified, he is saying he is sick of inexperienced builders having the freedom to build ugly builds and embarrass minetown

There is a simple fix to this

I am building a new town soon I think and to make it all fit I am gonna make the houses myself, then if they want to edit the house they have to ask me first, so I know it will fit

The houses will vary in shape and size so all will be happy

This is how I am gonna run my next town, doubt the spawn town is gonna run this way.

The only down side to this (as I see it) is there is no variety in builds, yes, you have beautiful houses that look right together but still, there are no different styles of build...

It is a choice you gotta make...
BARNEY626 wrote:
As an owner of a town myself I see where you are comming from...

Simplified, he is saying he is sick of inexperienced builders having the freedom to build ugly builds and embarrass minetown

There is a simple fix to this

I am building a new town soon I think and to make it all fit I am gonna make the houses myself, then if they want to edit the house they have to ask me first, so I know it will fit

The houses will vary in shape and size so all will be happy

This is how I am gonna run my next town, doubt the spawn town is gonna run this way.

The only down side to this (as I see it) is there is no variety in builds, yes, you have beautiful houses that look right together but still, there are no different styles of build...

It is a choice you gotta make...

The majority of people are fairly young and are not as experienced in architecture as other people. This idea could decrease the size of MT, and *could* hinder the social structure we currently have (as in make it worse). This could also disrupt game-play for those who just don't have experience. Is this truly something you support? I don't understand how cobblestone "embarrasses" MT. Sure, I hate cobble and other ugly blocks (as I stated before), but we're the most free and diverse server, making us the highest ranked.
I am not saying wether I support this or not

I am saying I can see what he is getting at

And John, look at the pic of a dirt house, would you be ashamed if that is what someone remembered about our server? I would be a bit really...

I quote that person...

Well this servers a bit dodgy if they let people build stuff like that at spawn!!!

Aww well at least it's a free build!!

Lol
Do all new player not start off in guestworld? Basically we force them into another world for the better of our own? Surely it would make sense to let guests into our world then?

They could build and upgrade, but realistically speaking, how many do? you cant walk for 2 minutes straight without finding some derelict project not even 20% finished. Over the past year+ i have played, all the cities i lived in, such as federation, are now ghost towns because why live in a city where you follow rules when you can just claim anything as your own and if you make a mess just move on. Wouldnt you much rather spend your gold on an apartment in a city where players are gathered?

Yes look at espero, such an awesome place yet its rare to find a player there. No-one goes there, its empty, it has no economy, it has no community, sure it has members but how often do you hear about changes in espero?

The warp system is perfect, and i wouldnt expect players to walk. But if there are no warps, there is no warping, No warping means walking and walking means wandering around. Surely you have given directions before... ''yeah got about 100 blocks then when you hit water follow the coast to the right, if you see that tree, im over the hill from there.''

Also the idea is not to prevent players from building there own houses, its to prevent the new world clogging up with half unfinished crap that noone wants to see. Its an idea which has benefits. Just think, the server wont be loading and sending chunks with stupid lava fountains in wood houses or random holes noone will ever use. So it makes as much use of the server as possible. People can get resources for themselves from the old world, or they can mine new ones for their cities.

I understand a lot of people are taking one look and thinking limitations, but if you think about it, its keeping the map clean and fresh. And for those who will say the maps too big to become clogged.... Just look at the 1.8 expansion. When the map was expanded for 1.8, within 2 weeks there was cobble houses and random structures doing nothing but using bandwith.

Also with the next update all current maps will update to the anvil format not just newly generated ones.
Exactly , first impressions are a big thing. The new spawn will get people hooked, but if they walk out into another crap filled land, that impression can change dramatically. I was on the verge of quitting after the first 10 mins of minetown as i remember guestworld was just cobble, sand and gravel all over. No trees for miles. Until i wandered so far i found an area to live which was nice. When i became a member i moved straight into federation where i built the first guestbank. That city looks appauling now, it got big lava buildings, mixed up crap all sorts. I always wanted to move to covetown ( for you older members, you know it was the 'rich' spot in minetown ) where everything was neat and tidy and all houses were similar. Even now, the neat towns are still successful, covetown is still expanding and i find players there
ⓩⓐⓚ ⓓⓐⓝⓚ wrote:
Do all new player not start off in guestworld? Basically we force them into another world for the better of our own? Surely it would make sense to let guests into our world then?

They could build and upgrade, but realistically speaking, how many do? you cant walk for 2 minutes straight without finding some derelict project not even 20% finished. Over the past year+ i have played, all the cities i lived in, such as federation, are now ghost towns because why live in a city where you follow rules when you can just claim anything as your own and if you make a mess just move on. Wouldnt you much rather spend your gold on an apartment in a city where players are gathered?

Yes look at espero, such an awesome place yet its rare to find a player there. No-one goes there, its empty, it has no economy, it has no community, sure it has members but how often do you hear about changes in espero?

The warp system is perfect, and i wouldnt expect players to walk. But if there are no warps, there is no warping, No warping means walking and walking means wandering around. Surely you have given directions before... ''yeah got about 100 blocks then when you hit water follow the coast to the right, if you see that tree, im over the hill from there.''

Also the idea is not to prevent players from building there own houses, its to prevent the new world clogging up with half unfinished crap that noone wants to see. Its an idea which has benefits. Just think, the server wont be loading and sending chunks with stupid lava fountains in wood houses or random holes noone will ever use. So it makes as much use of the server as possible. People can get resources for themselves from the old world, or they can mine new ones for their cities.

I understand a lot of people are taking one look and thinking limitations, but if you think about it, its keeping the map clean and fresh. And for those who will say the maps too big to become clogged.... Just look at the 1.8 expansion. When the map was expanded for 1.8, within 2 weeks there was cobble houses and random structures doing nothing but using bandwith.

Also with the next update all current maps will update to the anvil format not just newly generated ones.

All new players spawn in /warp spawn. In otherwords, the spawn tree... in other words again, the main world.

You're too close to the spawn zak. I can walk 10-15 minutes without encountering a single structure, and I'm not even on the edge of the explored map yet. Again, logic has flaws here on your part (no offense). As well, why rent when you can build? Building, in the long run, is cheaper than renting. The majority of people are looking to make a profit on Minetown.

As well, parts which are inactive aren't loaded while the server runs. Sure, it takes up memory, but if it's not loaded... how can it take bandwidth? You see my point? That's why you see nothingness at times when you are walking (unloaded chunks). Sure, it not loading is due to the lack of bandwidth, but the lack of bandwidth is due to the sheer amount of players and plugins. Not the map itself.

Trust me when I say I'm not taking one perspective. I'm probably taking more perspectives than you. I hate people whom have a bias, so I'll never be such. I see the merit in your idea... however... do you see the cons of your idea? The costs outweigh the profits (profits not meaning money here). Again, costs are only predicted and cannot be told unless this idea is implemented. However, are you willing to take a risk of implementing this idea, losing MT's rank and prosperity and all that? The new world will become the MAIN world. That means that the majority of server resources will be devoted there, not the old world. So why have the majority of people on the old world, but not enough server resources to support that much?

Oh, and don't take a single outlook on that recent paragraph. You know I'm right about that. The majority of people will want freedom to build... not rent, or be forced to follow rules that are so anal about their buildings. When making a server suggestion, you need to take the community into consideration (the current one). For an example, when running a business, who's more important? Current consumers, ex-consumers or future consumers? The answer is current, because the current ones can tell more and more people about you, resulting in more and more consumers coming to you. You kill two birds with one stone. Sure, you want to get even more new consumers with advertising and sales and such, but you can thrive on just utilizing current consumers. It's possible, how do you think american car manufacturers make their business? Ford people like Ford cars... Chevy like Chevy... etc. With cars, people don't like to change brands.