Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Correctly handling 1.0 world
Started by [E] zαк∂αηк

As you may or may not know, a new world will be introduced when the new hardware is correctly setup. I think this is a great opportunity to clean up minetown. By this i mean, enforcing new systems. There are quite a lot of things i would like to see in place but the main one would be a government of sorts. Something i hate about the area surrounding spawn town currently is how much out of theme crap is about, too many dirt and cobbles houses. A government would allow planning permission to people based on their work in the old world, their intentions and the ability to finish their projects, and this is all doable with current plugins. It would be as simple as creating a new protected region within a current one, the kind of stuff being used in current cities. It is most likely that staff would run the world to ensure order, but this also prevents other problems, like grief; How can you damage property you dont have permissions to. For players who want to build their own towns with 'lots' for out of theme builds, they would have the current world which has more than enough space.

I would hate to see the new spawn town degraded by mud huts, unfinished cobble cubes and the other crap you find around.

What would you prefer, themed cities where everything fits together and looks neat and professional or random builds?

Less of this:

Minecraft-for-noobs_html_45600ca8.jpg

More of this:

Minecraft_City_Newcraft_City_V1_4.jpg

(random google images)

So do you guys agree? More themed less random?
Claimed

GCMT.jpg

So what else should we expect from this system?

Well with land limited to only the accomplished builders, we will see more city life begin. People will start looking for apartments in big cities as a place to live free from the less fortunate of minetown. We will see new industries formed as cities begin producing their own supplies, leading to players having jobs working for their cities.

Hopefully neighbors will become friends, creating a stronger bond within the community, its likely new alliances will be formed and people will be proud to be apart of their city.

A way to make cities more appealing is to allow pvp in unprotected areas of the old world. This means your safe in old world cities, but not in the wildernesses surrounding them.
Factions have governments, and some, like valor, enforce nice builds and no random crap. The area ouyside of governed cities and factions is considered the wilderness and isnt governrd. and UF we puy in your system, it would put 100x more work on the staffs' shoulder, it would also run factions, because if MT is one big government how do factions operate their own governments?

Also why do you want to destroy diversity and liberty, you want the server to go from a SURVIVAL RPG server to a restricted build only server. So i completely disagree with l your idea.

This was writtwn from my phone so autocorrect and the small keys probably made this reply a grammatical hell hole.
Jthm02 wrote:
Factions have governments, and some, like valor, enforce nice builds and no random crap.

Exactly, these are the sort of cities which will be run in the new world as a sort of display world for new members.
wrote:
The area ouyside of governed cities and factions is considered the wilderness and isnt governrd.

Actually it is, any building is protected from griefing or stealing, just look on the chat for 'Hey mods someone just broke my cobblestone and stole it'
wrote:
it would put 100x more work on the staffs' shoulder,

Hardly, the staff will only be there to decide who gets build rights, chances are not everyone will, only the well accomplished. The idea is to create a Professional world which serves to represent the server. When i say governed, it isnt as such, just that staff get to say who gets build right on the land. This could be done through a forum application and is nothing out of the ordinary ( adding people to protections ) , Any staff member will agree.
wrote:
it would also run factions, because if MT is one big government how do factions operate their own governments?

Once again, they are not there to operate EVERYTHING just build rights. Think of it like they are the King/Queen and the cities are mayors/mayoresses , or if your american, think of them like states. The fact is Minetown has an authority system ( the rules ) which can be classed as a current government anyway.
wrote:
Also why do you want to destroy diversity and liberty, you want the server to go from a SURVIVAL RPG server to a restricted build only server.

No No No, reread. The current world is staying, most people know that. but a new world will be added ( like guestworld and normal ). The diversity and survival aspects will stay on the current world, but the new world should be there to greet players into a *seemingly* professional community.
My thoughts were originally with jthm with regards to your wish to restrict building on the new map.

However, If the current Minetown Map serves as a place for players to hone their building skill, whilst the new map is one of professional buildings, then I'd support that.
Adam wrote:
My thoughts were originally with jthm with regards to your wish to restrict building on the new map.

However, If the current Minetown Map serves as a place for players to hone their building skill, whilst the new map is one of professional buildings, then I'd support that.

You basically summed up my whole suggestion there. +kudos
People voting, give some reasoning so we have more discussion
I do genuinely like the idea however I can't see how staff would be implemented in this without causing a crap load of work for us. It may only be watching for cobble houses which doesnt seem time consuming but we get well over 2000 applications each month for new members and on top of our regular work load we normally spend any extra time thinking of better things for members like events and such. Would you rather us moderate cobble buildings or have lots of events and your petitions being answered in a decent time frame?

We do try our best but we're only human at the end of the day, we have lives behind minetown and do like to play the game ourselves from time to time. The cobble homes arent a major problem or concern in the overall scale of things and I personally would prefer to spend my time on other things rather than arguing about a build quality with an upset player who has built a cobble home.

The 1.0 world will be the main world when it goes live, all new members will spawn there first. Why should they not have the right to build there than members that have played longer? Everyone starts off basic at the beginning, hell when I first started my house was an ugly dirt thing with cobble floor but I loved it and upgraded it over time. If I was in that position again on a server where they destroyed my lovely little dirt home because they didnt like it then thats cruel, all newbies need to start off somewhere and they have just as much right building on a world as anyone else :C

If you can think up a way to implement this without it causing any work for staff then I will support this.
Um, okay. You have the wrong idea of what the new world is for. We're playing on what, a 1.4 world? Something like that? It's pre-release world, that's all I can tell you. The new world is basically just for the updated map. Only unexplored areas of our map will be updated (this is current main world). In the new world, the whole map will be brand new. It's purpose? The same as the current world. To invite to community to do whatever it so pleases, so long as it doesn't break the rules. If you're looking for a build only, when the creative server is back up and running you could go there. Sure, the spawn city will be more professional looking. The major factions will have professional looking cities. Beyond that, don't expect much.

For the build rights *crap* (I'm calling it this because this is what I believe it is, no offense), here's an example. I do not allow cobblestone or netherrack in my city. If I see them, they are automatically kicked out of my city (whomever placed it). It's a rule, those two things are utter crap. However, there's one exception. I've used cobblestone in a megabuild before and it looked awesome (with a texture pack). So any block can be used to create a beautiful build in my city (they must use dokucraft or default texture back, and add a sign to which is used with the cobble/rack). Other cities, they say "stick with the theme." The theme might be fire, black, white, sand, etc. That's where the diversity comes in. Who would want to come to this server if every city looked exactly the SAME!?!? Hell, if every city looked the same I'll go back to that crap server I used to play on, at least they had some diversity. They don't have nearly as much diversity as Minetown has right now, though. The diversity and non-rpg plugins that MT has makes MT the most unique server there is (every server with rpg is utter crap in my opinion, sorry to say).

Also, you want to restrict the number of people allowed in the new world? Last I heard, the new world was also an 11000 block world, same as ours (forgot if radius or diameter, someone tell me which it is, thanks). All I know, it's freaking huge... and you want to make sure not every can build there? There's some things that can only be gotten from the new world or the admin/cs shop... so basically everyone who doesn't want to stick with the flock is forced to vote every day for 300 days just to save up for enough mtc to buy diamond, to make into gold, to buy from the adminshop (or skip that step and buy from cs shop)... crazy.

Also, jthm is RIGHT. Anything outside of a city is considered wilderness. That is, UNTIL it is made a city (of what is in the wilderness). One person does not equal a government. A government is nothing without people to rule over.

And staff having to decide who gets build rights? lol. How will the decide (on the hypothetical that this idea ever gets approved)? Will they cherry pick, or will they have an additional application form? Either way, it IS more work for them. As well, it also shows discrimination/differentiation among all MT residents. Do you support discrimination/differentiation? By the way, differentiation is the politically correct term for segregation, when not involving racial differences. Wanted to say that just in case, because differentiation isn't used as a word very much.

All in all, I'm with jthm... I don't agree with your idea at all. Also, I apologize for anything insulting. I'm a very blunt person, and I don't tend to want to cherry pick things. These are just my opinions, and I apologize if you feel I'm targeting you. I'm not targeting you, just your idea (which isn't you yourself).
At the same time though danni it would be taking a whole lot of work off your shoulders as well. Since things would be less sprawled out and random in the new map (if this idea was inplemented) then things like griefings and stealings would be very rare as everything would be protected, and only the mature and architecturaly strong minded people will be allowed to make changes to the environment