Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Becoming a Moderator: Hints and Tips?
Started by [E] Zipsam [1]

Its real basic, be helpful, be visable, be mature. Also come on mumble, not because all the cool kids hang out there but because once your a mod its required. Showing you have a willingness to be there before is a good step in the right direction.
Zipsam,

I curently have a mod app on file, and just to touch on a few things Danni said: don't hint or ask to get a + vote. This is true, unless u know the people fairly well. I unfortunately made the mistake of asking some "acquaintances" for their support only to find that they gave me a - vote. I'm finding out that you really need to know the right people too. That can really go a long way. I think it's good that you asked for tips and I don't think it should affect you when/if u decide to apply. MT needs all the good mods it can get, luckily ur getting feedback from some of MT's finest! Good luck in the future!

-Plausibility
http://minetown.net/forum/page/1/m/672632/viewthread/645288-moderator-applications

There's the link to what the job entails, and what they're looking for.
Everybody gave really good suggestions...good luck, I hope to see you on mumble, we all have a great time <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
Here's the thing: You're never actually supposed to ask to be made a mod. I realize that on this site they are making an exception to that rule by allowing for these "applications," but still: You never actually ask for O.P., Mod, Admin, whatever. It is just not done. Never. And if it is done -- you are to be blacklisted and never considered.

That's the rule. Here we break the rules, and that's fine, but that's also why we have a whole lot of mods/Admins of varying degrees of responsibility, maturity, age, and level of commitment: Some mods/Admins are great and do their jobs well, some others are not and probably don't need to be mods/Admins anyway, but this is minecraft, so who cares?

Point being: Remember what I've said as it applies to 99% of the web-forums you will encounter. If you ask you will fail, and rightly so.

This is the way of things.
Don't leave your dirty underwear on the bathroom floor!

That is all I'm worried about. lol
Oh, no admin has responded yet. Well, let me start by saying welcome to Minetown, and it's good to see you're interested in helping out with the server. I got my mod about a year ago and have been helping since then, so I have seen a whole variety of different staff members and players. I would say there are three important things about mod: get to know the other staff members, stay objective and not opinionated, and learn about the features the staff uses so that you know how we do our work. One of the biggest problems with some of the players that want to be mod is that they formulate opinions based on biased information. As a staff member of any rank it's important to be unbiased and make judgment calls based on the good of the server, not the good of any one person or group of people. Another problem is that some players want to use all of the cool features, but they have no idea how we go about rollbacks on griefed structures, handling trade amongst the players, etc. So it's a good idea to see what we use and learn most of the features that you can use that aid in our work. This mainly includes the plugins like LWC, WorldGuard and our trade plugins; there are many commands open to most members that allow you to manage the regions you own. This knowledge of our features will give you the upper hand in getting a staff position. And finally, remember to be respectful, as always, to everyone, and try not to get heated over everything. We are here to play a game and it's nice when there is minimal drama involved, so remember to keep that in mind. As long as you follow my and the rest of the staff's advice, you have just as much of a chance if not more than the other players who want a staff position.

Oh, and try to ignore the people who do disrespect the staff. Because they're annoying as shit. Oh and by the way, the correct abbreviation of et cetera is etc. for the person who had to be an ass and make the thread go offtopic (*AHEM* MonsTheSexy).
Be 16 or older.

That particular rule makes me very sad.
Wow! Thanks for all of the advice! I will not let myself down!
MastaC729 wrote:
Oh, no admin has responded yet. Well, let me start by saying welcome to Minetown, and it's good to see you're interested in helping out with the server. I got my mod about a year ago and have been helping since then, so I have seen a whole variety of different staff members and players. I would say there are three important things about mod: get to know the other staff members, stay objective and not opinionated, and learn about the features the staff uses so that you know how we do our work. One of the biggest problems with some of the players that want to be mod is that they formulate opinions based on biased information. As a staff member of any rank it's important to be unbiased and make judgment calls based on the good of the server, not the good of any one person or group of people. Another problem is that some players want to use all of the cool features, but they have no idea how we go about rollbacks on griefed structures, handling trade amongst the players, etc. So it's a good idea to see what we use and learn most of the features that you can use that aid in our work. This mainly includes the plugins like LWC, WorldGuard and our trade plugins; there are many commands open to most members that allow you to manage the regions you own. This knowledge of our features will give you the upper hand in getting a staff position. And finally, remember to be respectful, as always, to everyone, and try not to get heated over everything. We are here to play a game and it's nice when there is minimal drama involved, so remember to keep that in mind. As long as you follow my and the rest of the staff's advice, you have just as much of a chance if not more than the other players who want a staff position.

Oh, and try to ignore the people who do disrespect the staff. Because they're annoying as shit. Oh and by the way, the correct abbreviation of et cetera is etc. for the person who had to be an ass and make the thread go offtopic (*AHEM* MonsTheSexy).

My hero.