Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Guest Control
Started by [E] Coffeey

hunter9340 wrote:
i think because some guests like to spam, that ( if there is ) we should get a "anti-spam" for guests to limit the amount you can say maybe 10 sentances every 30 or 60 seconds i know we have a anti spam filter but sometimes it doesnt work and guests/non guests can get through it with a auto typer ( i bet most use one called "garys hood runescape auto-typer and auto-clicker ) :/

for the last time im trying to get at the amount of guests being bigger than members. The spam and guests talking on chat isnt the problem because the spam can be controlled VERY easily and there is no problem in my opinion with guests asking questions
Coffeey, people just aren't reading the entire thread. I agree with you Coffeey, like my other two posts have indicated. Just ignore anyone who doesn't post relating to what you've written. Like I said, we should talk to Sawine about see about if it is possible to allocate ram (a significant majority) to members and the rest to guests.
Simplest way is to have guests spawn in an entirely seperated Guest world, where they spawn in a massive room saying to go to the /promo thingmajig. The amount of guests who ask 500 times and they got correct answers the first 50 times is ridiculous, as they don't seem to pay attention to what their being told.
Crux_T wrote:
Simplest way is to have guests spawn in an entirely seperated Guest world, where they spawn in a massive room saying to go to the /promo thingmajig. The amount of guests who ask 500 times and they got correct answers the first 50 times is ridiculous, as they don't seem to pay attention to what their being told.

guests asking questions is not the problem did u not read the last 2 comments
We need someone on around 6am (eastern time)

about 20 guests and so many things i see i have experienced spam at the time and people screaming:

"ELECTRIC! U mod? Can u promote me?"

My Response:

"Guests, Please Go apply at www.minetown.net/join Thank you! <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>"

So many guests = lagggggg = only around 20 guests at once at least.
the server has ( occasional ) lag with less than 30 and more than 30 people so.... chat does very little to the lag
No, we can't limit the amount of guests. Nothing you can do about that. And I doubt we will be making a separate server for guests, they won't learn anything there, they don't read the signs.
sawine wrote:
The traffic is vital for Minetown to subsist and I desire it to keep growing.

*I think that just about answers this thread.

**You cannot allocate RAM to individual users upon login, so the only way to limit the amount of RAM the guests are using would be to setup an entirely new guest server (as others have mentioned), and this is a bad idea for all the reasons everyone else has already stated.

***RAM isn't really the issue, the issue is BANDWIDTH. The server box is uber, it can take up to 1000 users logged in simultaneously, it has the physical specs to handle that kind of system-load. Bandwidth, on the other hand, is finite, and as such most of the lag is simply caused by having a lot of people online at the same time, guests and members alike: We all use, on average, the same amount of bandwidth while we play.

****It has been said that, due to the way Minecraft is written, every user over 60 will dramatically increase the "server-tick," meaning that regardless of all the RAM and bandwidth in the world, if you go over 60 active connections at any one time, lag will result. If that's true (and I have no reason to suspect that it's not), then there is simply nothing to be done.

If we want Minetown to be the most popular server out there, then lag is just something we're all going to have to learn to live with. I know of NO server, for any game, that does not experience lag, and the only way to directly combat this issue in Minecraft is to cap the number of simultaneous users to 59, and that's a very bad idea.

EDIT: Personally, I desire macaroni pictures, and... and popcorn necklaces! And paper-plate-bean-shakers! And we should cover these shakers in glue and glitter, so they look nice, and sparkley...
1.9 should make the game a lot more stable and lag free.
I think you got the right things, but to add a bit more...

Chat In the guest world can only be heard in the guest world. This will reduce chat congestion

There should be a limited amount of guests in the main world, if anyone connects and main world is full they get redirected to the guest world.