Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Guest Control
Started by [E] Coffeey

OkiFool66 wrote:
Meh, guests will be guests. We have annoying members too. Besides, lets be honest, about 1 in 5 guests, nowadays, actually spam chat requesting their app be looked at. It could be alot worse.

Or spam saying "Can i have Admin or Op job?!?!?"

Also to be noted, last night (9pm gmt) the server had 103 people online. ----> Major lag issues occured, some people's internet connections started crashing...Etc.
Baber wrote:
Heres my suggestion:

Seperate chat from anyone who isn't a staff member

and (If possible) remove the guests showing up on the /who list.

~Baber

I think i understand this but im not sure, are you wanting to make it so only members can here the guests or only staff can here them. Staff is the one who should help them the most
Dan thats not correct. I would fucking hate it if I was a guest and I came on this server to that.

When I became a member I talked to guests and the ones who had became new members and I liked I helped build a new home.

I know how scary it is to start a new server, I was terrified when i first started here. Not sure on anything, not knowing anyone, having to start fresh.

The way some people treat guests here is disgraceful. I would have never stayed to become a member if I was treated like that.

I agree there should be something optional to leave guests talking but cutting them off altogether is disgusting.

Im so appauled by the people who think that.
DanniDorrito wrote:
Dan thats not correct. I would fucking hate it if I was a guest and I came on this server to that.

When I became a member I talked to guests and the ones who had became new members and I liked I helped build a new home.

I know how scary it is to start a new server, I was terrified when i first started here. Not sure on anything, not knowing anyone, having to start fresh.

The way some people treat guests here is disgraceful. I would have never stayed to become a member if I was treated like that.

I agree there should be something optional to leave guests talking but cutting them off altogether is disgusting.

Im so appauled by the people who think that.

(Not stalking your threads but)

I see where you are coming from, About completely removing communications from guests. Maybe there could be a channel that guests Default Join, Obviously the staff would have to also be in this chat but the normal users would have the option? So those who wish to help this mass influx of guests find their way to being productive members can opt into the channel, and those that dont want to see "HAY HOW I GET OP" can stay out. Just one suggestion on how to fix it.

The /who command could also have an option as in /who guests. or /who Members? If that would help, not sure how hard it would be to make the list search by rank but again just another suggestion.

Side note: Boats are extremely laggy, the Guest world forces guests to use them to get to an area to build, and I think the glitchy lag type movement you get on a boat reflects bad on the server. Maybe we could have a portal system at the GW spawn, 1-6 portals that move the player out into the wilderness pretty far? That would decrease the unwanted PvP in GW, also keep the area around GW spawn looking nice and pretty, with plenty of room to expand out without much walking. Ive seen other servers do this, and it seems to work out quite nice.
Bit of a stalker today aren't you? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

Yeah thats why I like the idea of members being able to /leave the guests talking, would be nice for them but it also means members who want to help guests still can. Im trying to crack down on stupid guests, ones who spam questions too much will get muted and whispered from me telling them to read signs, go to website and whatnot. Its pretty difficult especially when I am busy and juggling a few things anyway but I will try and do my best at this <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Devs would need to look into /who if they wanted to implement the guests on a seperate list.

There are some really good ideas, I just think its terrible when people treat guests so badly. Most of them are really nice people who just want to be one of us.
DanniDorrito wrote:
Bit of a stalker today aren't you? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

Yeah thats why I like the idea of members being able to /leave the guests talking, would be nice for them but it also means members who want to help guests still can. Im trying to crack down on stupid guests, ones who spam questions too much will get muted and whispered from me telling them to read signs, go to website and whatnot. Its pretty difficult especially when I am busy and juggling a few things anyway but I will try and do my best at this <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Devs would need to look into /who if they wanted to implement the guests on a seperate list.

There are some really good ideas, I just think its terrible when people treat guests so badly. Most of them are really nice people who just want to be one of us.

Danni, when you joined there wasn't another 40 guests in the server at the same time as you, maybe 5 or 6 at max.

If you type /who on the main world you can't see any of the main members because of the guests showing up on the list.

When I joined the server in march, there was like 20 people online average and 1 or 2 guests, it wasn't a big deal.
Baber, I think I know how many guests are online, I am a mod now so I have to deal with them.

I dont understand what your point is, we're not debating about how many are online at a time.

We're debating about how they are being treated and also how members can leave chat so they dont need to get involved with guests.
As much as people don't like guests, they have to realize they were one once too.

I remember it being set up so guests automatically spawn in guest world. If you have it so they are facing the board/signs they'll be more inclined to read it~
i really made this thread to get at the increase in the amount of members as in how there are usually twice as much guests as members. I personally dont think that them asking questions on chat is the problem. I think a cap on the amount of guests allowed on the server at once would end this problem of a ridiculous amount of guests.

This would separate the guests who just want to spam and the guests who really want to play here and are dedicated enough to wait an extra 1 minute for a slot to open up...
Okay, I see we're getting off topic here. The original purpose of this post, from what I read, was how to address the many problems occurring with the massive amounts of guests.

Yes, guests are treated poorly. I don't talk on chat much, I mainly mind my own business creating my projects. However, when I happen to read, when a guests seems sincerely confused or lost in how to play, people either ignore them or talk down on them. This is unacceptable, in my opinion.

As to the lag issue. Lag isn't so much the problem with how many people we have online. It's the "How many people in a certain area" problem. When I go to /spawn and face toward people, I get SO laggy (10-20 fps). If I face away from them, I go back to my 80 fps. Out in the middle of nowhere, where I am doing my projects, I get as low as 70 fps, and as high as 94.

I have a GREAT internet connection. I attend a university and live on campus, where my connection is "state of the art." We just had a major upgrade in internet over the summer. So my connection is not a problem.

The easiest fix is like Drewlsgod, have many signs in the GW warping guests to different areas in the GW. This will decrease laggy screens. As to fixing the timing issue, I believe Notch said in 1.9 that servers will be able to handle more people without as much lag. As well, if you people really want to blame lag, blame the applications that aren't functioning properly. Sawine and admins and are working to fix all the bugs. Once all the bugs are fixed, I'm sure we can handle about 80 people with 0% lag.

As well, some of the timing issues (block lag, for example) is caused by there being too much information around you (i.e. people, lava/water structures, portals, anything that takes a lot of cpu/internet).

We need guests to survive as a server. Yes, I admit we are growing MUCH TOO FAST in my opinion, however growing fast is better than not growing at all.

As well, I believe there is a way to allocate RAM to specific things? Why not allocate the majority of the RAM on the server to the main world? This way, the RAM is then divided between the two worlds, and will hopefully create less lag. This is just my suggestion, and I know it'll probably be shot down.

Thanks for reading guys. Have a good day.