Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Best Antivirus
Started by [E] Reggief

Ad-Aware FTW <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> It picks up everything
Set your browser to delete all cookies after you close the program, that will be a big help. You can allow third party cookies (sometimes you need to) for "Session Only."

Firefox has a very handy add-on called "NoScript", which everyone should be using. You simply white-list all your commonly used sites (like minetown.net), and then don't have to worry about malicious JavaScript being run without you at least knowing about it. NoScript also successfully blocks cross-site scripting attempts, which is good.

There is this kind of "super-cookie," which stores itself in your system folders and not the standard location, and which is permanent (meaning it never expires.) It's a flash cookie, and no web browser is able to manage it, so it's this bit of shady tracking crap stuck right in the middle of your core files, which opens up all sorts of terrible possibilities for the tracking of people and the procurement of sensitive information (like passwords.) You need to download something called "Better Privacy," also an add-on for Firefox, to let you manage these hidden super-cookies.

*Nothing you ever do on the Internet is ever private, so be mindful of that. If you wouldn't write it on a postcard for the mailman and everyone else to read, then don't put it in an email (unless you use encryption keys, but lol who does that?!)

**The only "safe" computer is one which is turned off and disconnected from the Ethernet.

***For your own well being and peace of mind, STOP using Windows and IE. Just don't do it.

****Ubuntu loves you! (And she is FREE!) <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
Revival! All of a sudden my "run" isnt working, firewall dun been broked.

I suspect t3h virus. Gunna try a couple of these, thanks for making this thread lolz

Frames dropping, tf2 not opening.

QQ all i got left is skyrim

EDIT: Never mind, updated windows, drivers, restarted, verified cache defragged all good now

pointless necro is pointless

DarthZimmeris wrote:
The best defense is to use Linux and forget about WinDOZE and/or MacOSfail altogether.

In Linux, you won't need an anti-virus program at all, and the system comes with a built in firewall (iptables), configured easily via Firestarter, or some other free program like "Firewall Builder."

Linux also has tools in place to check for rootkits and monitor your network traffic. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Hmmmmm........

Don't lie there is.
:lies:

Is that MacOS?! I haven't seen what it looks like for so long! Wow! <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

I'm pretty sure the MacOS firewall runs off of "iptables" (or some Apple equivalent) just like Linux. That's simply the GUI built-in to manage iptables.

That should be fine so long as you make sure to setup your router's firewall as well: That's your first and best line of defense.

Router firewalls are good but come with a weak configuration so as to work for the maximum number of people possible.

Go into your router and make sure you're blocking the IDENT port (113), denying multicast streams and the like. There are a few settings you can usually tick to dramatically improve the quality of most modern router firewalls. If it has some "packet inspection" function turn that on, and always make sure you silently drop packets rather than sending back an error message. (When you silently drop packets the attacker doesn't know that you're even there, but if your router begins to counter-probe the prober as some now do, that's bad. It alerts everyone as to your network's presence and only makes it easier for an attacker to "see" you and to test your firewall.)

I also deny NAT over the ipv4. This means no at home networks for file sharing and stuff, but I don't do that so this works for me. I have one machine setup with one open port for Bittorrent, and this machine cannot see or communicate with my main desktop at all. This is what you want: A totally secure main box, with a separate computer which is exposed to the Internet directly through the firewall. Don't port forward via NAT, just open one port directly to the exposed machine and turn it on and off as needed. (When you're leeching movies, for example.)

This way if someone gets in to that box they won't really damage anything, as it's secondary and does not contain any of your important files, only movies. And you just make sure to reformat that sucker a lot, storing all the movies you download on a flash disk and transferring them to other computers/media players as needed.
NECRO NECRO NECRO NECRO NECRO
AVAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL TEH WAY!!! IS FREE! IS L33T

Or Avira if you want to spend money. Kaspersky is good for money too.
I found AVG 2011 blah blah antivirus and its ok apart from the fact that it doesn't mix well with the gaming type :/ It likes to block some crucial elements of some games. For example, I have to turn AVG off for the sound to work on MC...
I've been a Linux user since 2003, but I have to say that Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials(free) have done a good job on the computers I manage at work. Isn't too taxing on the system.
I would just like to say on behalf of all OSX users that macs don't get Windows viruses as they don't have a registry <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>