Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] About MT's Graylist
Started by [E] sawine

I think a transport program should be created to move main items to main2.. Just a idea
I honestly think it's way to early to make any call on this. We don't know what the response will be from the in-game tutorial. As soon as it is up, we can start looking at statistics. "How many players joined the old way last month" "How many players have joined this new way in the last month" Compare the two ways once they are up. But it's to early to make a call on this.
I feel that we need a inflame tutorial/quiz then they get on. And also I like main2 becoming main, but some prices need to drop for that to happen, since no one has used it,

I'll type more in the morn when I have a real keyboard

~jimbo
I love the Greylist-system. It's one of the best things that ever happened to minetown. I'm actualy so happy about the system that i've become one of those doing the applications.

I'll give a short summary of the ''membership history'' as i remember it, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Onve upon a time, you had to donate 5 bucks to get membership in Minetown. That was when i joined. Just 3 months later in the summer of 2011 (ish?) we got the ''make an application and join'' system, the so called greylist-system. It allowed a way larger quantity of members to acces the server, but it didn't allow too many ''bad players'' to enter the server. There was a larger number of bad players than before, but it was not too bad. A few months later we got more servers, not just worlds. First the pvp server joined, but many other servers came aswell. Some of these were playable by guests that hadn't even made an application or joined the website, for example the pvp server.

This was both a good thing and a bad thing.

It let more new people join and allowed good members to join the pvp server that else would've been turned off by the app system and make an application later *pokes soccerjj1 and ambiosis in the side*.

But it also allowed a great amount of x-rayers, spammers, dupers, otherwise bad players and generally alot idiots to enter the server freely. The pvp server is the minetown server with most x-rays, most resets and largest percentage of bans vs the amount of active servers. It's basically the Detroit, the slum of Minetown.

The believe that rest of the pvp staff can all agree on this.

I like the idea of having some worlds membered and others free for all, but i don't think that our main or coming main (agartha) should be free for all to play because of the problems that comes with it. Our main server should first of all be the core, the best part of Minetown with the best community we can get.

Unlike the pvp server we can't just reset oldmain and agharta, so we have to be just a little more carefull who we let into those worlds.

And about the toturial world: I think it's a great idea, it won't let anyone in that hasn't read rules and such. It makes it a little easier to become member, but not too easy <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Just my two cents <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Johan-
8x8johan wrote:
Just my two cents <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Don't you have Kroners in Demark?

<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

Just kidding, I agree with pretty much everything you said <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
I love the application system currently,

It shifts out most of the evil doers and leaves most of the sane people for us.

Yes it does stop an on going flow of people coming into the server, but it also stops all(most) of the spammers, griefers, and annoying people in general.

In return for not getting an on going flow of people, we get a steady flow of (mostly)nice and easy going people.
Why the hell would Agharta be the new Main? There's never more than like 5 people on it.
Well, this is definitely interesting. On the topic of opening up the server, if the server staff can handle the new load of members, the server should be opened up. However, with the opening up of a server, issues arise (as you've stated above) on the amount of people who could do harm. Then again, this is Minecraft, we should expect young people to be playing who may not be as intelligent and/or mature as other players.

With the Main to Main2 transition, as others have stated earlier, I believe it won't go as planned. I'm resistant to this change due to the amount of time I've invested in Main. On the opposite side, I have no clue as to what the existing staff members have planned for Main2 and what strategies they've developed for improving the MineTown server in general. The server should expect to see a drop in the amount of players due to change and transition on the Main server.
Welp, i voted on the wrong choice, but anyways, open the flood gates
I like the current system and method of filtering members and the idea of having a tutorial in order to proceed. I have played on a Tekkit server that was public for the most part and had no way of filtering membership except for a tutorial that you had to complete in order to leave spawn. The method used to rank up from guest was just time in game. After an hour or so of in game time you became a member and could do whatever on the server. There were almost always 150+ on at a time. There were several major drawbacks from that system. I actually left global chat after a few minutes it got so crude and ridiculous. Both members and staff members seemed to be without a filter when they typed in chat. Griefing was a major issue on the server though it was in unprotected areas. The land claim system involved you "buying" blocks and claiming without the help of a moderator. The limited space per player left tons of open area that would get lava'd, torn up, flooded, etc. There were two map resets in the span of about 3 months because "the map was ugly". After the first I never played again but the lack of a filter made the chat inappropriate for some of the younger players and really detracted from the sense of community.

There is an occasional idiot that slips through on here but the current system keeps it in check. There is still a sense of community on this server and I have yet to find that anywhere else. Just like GotMilk and Johan said, it keeps the good players in and most of the bad or potentially bad players out. If some people can't join because they can't figure out how to find the IP or apply, that is on them. When I first joined I logged onto Main, read the signs at Spawn Town, and came to the website to make my profile. It took me awhile to get most of the commands but a lot of them I learned from Neil and Lostbit. The rest of the rules were either common sense or posted at spawn. I did like Guestworld when it was around though I do not remember when it went offline. I never used it when I was a guest though I did go back to mine when I was a member. Guests were able to build on there together and as they became full members, join or found a town together. If the tutorial world could somehow be like that, I think that it would help improve the member base. I would suggest that members would still be forbidden to harass the guests as they were when the server was taken down.

I honestly think that the additional servers are what give the impression of the server in decline. It appears that there are fewer members when the number is about the same as it was when we had PVP, Main, and Guest World. There are a 2+ players still on here and tons of 1+ players. Many have even come back after long absences. The fact that discussions erupt from time to time arguing both sides on the topic of decline is proof enough that people are still active in and care about the future of the server. I would be worried if there was no counter argument.

I do not play Minecraft for PVP, mini games, or any other non-"survival" type game/server nor do I play to make money in the market. I play for the sense of community and the social aspect of the game. I joined and stayed here because this server offered what no other server I could find did.

Most of us posting in here had to go through the greylist or donate in order to become a member. Do you think that you would have stayed had there not been a filter system in place or there were a lot of "bad" players getting through or would you have moved onto another server?