Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] On the History of Minetown
Started by [E] W0lverine123

So, who wants to go to war?
1v1 let's go, I want ur city:P
You and everybody else lol, and we haven't even started downtown yet.
Reggief wrote:
The first week of war world was just unreal. The weeks leading up everyone spent time gathering supplies and building alliances and bigger factions. Huge battles, espionage, betrayals. Some battles even stemmed back into the regular world haha. It was just too fun.

I remember I found someones secret base. Just laid the bottom with TNT and a pushplate at the entrance. Went back a few days later and it was just a crater.

It certainly sounds like it was an exciting time.
LucyLooseLegs wrote:
Keep an eye out for the recruitment opening of The Gentlemans Club.

May I ask what this - and everything referring to it afterwards - have to do with the topic at hand? I feel so very derailed. Though perhaps your faction will have some impact on the future, that is still to be seen and thus cannot be ascertained yet.
sovietscottie wrote:
So, who wants to go to war?
jthm02 wrote:
1v1 let's go, I want ur city:P
sovietscottie wrote:
You and everybody else lol, and we haven't even started downtown yet.

...hey, a war I could watch!

But on a more serious note, do you ever think that another great faction could arise through the use of warfare? Will the military play any significant role in the future of Minetown, in your opinions?
I would do war with other cities gladly, but my problem is my city wall isn't even half finished.
Palonti wrote:
I would do war with other cities gladly, but my problem is my city wall isn't even half finished.

Assuming, for a moment, that you did have a full city wall, and you had a small army, would you launch an invasion in order to increase your prestige?
W0lverine123 wrote:
Palonti wrote:

Assuming, for a moment, that you did have a full city wall, and you had a small army, would you launch an invasion in order to increase your prestige?

The city wall is of varying height as the terrain is not being flattened out and the wall goes over several hills. The wall will also cover a 750x750 (approximate) area, how can it possibly be done in so little time? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

I would launch an invasion to increase my prestige, yes... because no one is good enough until they've replayed the whole darn levelling process 10 times!

As for the army, I've got my sword, bow and my irresponsible (but awesome) companion. From there, it's a matter of "drop dead and give me kudos!"
Palonti wrote:
The city wall is of varying size and will cover a 750x750 (approximate) area, how can it possibly be done in so little time? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

I hired one hundred slaves to mine materials and build it, and then made them your army. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Palonti wrote:
I would launch an invasion to increase my prestige, yes... because no one is good enough until they've replayed the whole darn levelling process 10 times!

I'm not entirely sure what that means, but anyhow: I thought war was frowned upon nowadays, especially in the main world?
I doubt that serious cities and factions would ever wage war against eachother at this time, everyone is somewhat frail though stable. The bigger threats are the PvP regimes that pop up for about a month and stir up trouble before dieing out.

The reason the great war happened was because of the war world and struggles there backed by brittanica's threats. Without the war world it would not have happened, and if it did it would be more on the forums then online.

Thers always going to be quarrels though. Even though they rarely amount too much. I know they've mostly turned into a short flamewar before fizzling out.

Also, a faction would not be able to rise to greatness through pure military power. All sorts of variables affect pvp factions making it unlikely for them to get very far. But a faction with a good balance could definitely rise to greatness. It's very much about having the best public relations, and by balancing faction activities you can make your faction something people want to be apart of. In other words for a faction to rise it needs to balance out and adapt. And when you have that things start to stack up and that's when a faction becomes great.
jthm02 wrote:
I doubt that serious cities and factions would ever wage war against eachother at this time, everyone is somewhat frail though stable. The bigger threats are the PvP regimes that pop up for about a month and stir up trouble before dieing out.

The regimes you speak of sound rather unpleasant. I suppose the reign of peace will have a positive influence upon Minetown, though. Stability can never be a bad thing, even though this stability appears to be brought on by collective weakness rather than any real balance of power.
jthm02 wrote:
The reason the great war happened was because of the war world and struggles there backed by brittanica's threats. Without the war world it would not have happened, and if it did it would be more on the forums then online.

Thers always going to be quarrels though. Even though they rarely amount too much. I know they've mostly turned into a short flamewar before fizzling out.

The introduction of the war world did appear to be the cause of the World War from what I knew previous to creating this thread, although clearly there were deeper motives at work in determining who fought against who: the prevalent alliance system, for instance, always a factor in major conflicts.

I imagine that most conflicts simply fade into the background, then, since nobody acts upon them with the use of military force?
jthm02 wrote:
Also, a faction would not be able to rise to greatness through pure military power. All sorts of variables affect pvp factions making it unlikely for them to get very far. But a faction with a good balance could definitely rise to greatness. It's very much about having the best public relations, and by balancing faction activities you can make your faction something people want to be apart of. In other words for a faction to rise it needs to balance out and adapt. And when you have that things start to stack up and that's when a faction becomes great.

That's certainly a wise, measured opinion on the matter. I believe that through military power, a faction could rise quickly and gain power, although they would have a very short reign before the other major powers mobilized to defeat their threat with impunity, or before they were banned for something or other, as the most aggressive of leaders tend not to be the wisest.

To sum up what I've heard so far, organization appears to have been the key difference between a small, short-lived faction and a truly great, long-lasting faction throughout Minetown's history. Those who maintain it well survive and thrive; those who do not lose power quickly.