Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] An ingame guest help 'booklet'
Started by [E] nicilbar

Another thing is i just realised, and this is actually very important:

-How will the guests find the command to look at the booklet????

-Will they need a seperate booklet explaining this?

-Shall we put this on the spawn board? No, because if they read the boards then the booklet wouldnt be needed.

-Make a thread explaining it? No, because if they explored the forums for information then it would be pointless.

-A start off area/spawn point for the guests covered with signs? Again a bit useless because our spawn atm is basically that, and it works fine to a certain extent apart from some guests not reading stuff, wich is understandable as they would be eager to play and 'words are boring' but that is fine as a quick question or a thread can solve that as a helpful member of the community or staff will help them out soon enough

So there you have it. sorry for completely deconstructing your idea. Nothing against you or the guests, i just wanted to point out the reasons it is pointless.

I think there is no longer a problem with guests as lag is gone and chat is fixed (although i never really saw a problem with guests on chat) and the staff and dev's have done enough work on this subject, and very well for that matter.

<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>
I liked that idea of a readable book. We can safely assume that any guest that joins this server will have had even at least a few hours of Minecraft experience under them, whether it be building a dirt house or simply opening the inventory. If a player is <guest>, everytime they log in, they should receive this readable book in their inventory. In the chat where it repeats the "Go to this address to vote" saying over and over again, there can be another one that simply says, "Need help? Consult your Guest Book in your inventory" or whatever it may be called. The book can be brought up like the inventory screen and pages can be turned, and perhaps they may be illustrated if someone really wants to go that far. They can drop the book anytime they want, and it can only appear in the inventories of guests when they log on. That way, it won't burden everyone else, and the guests will have a constant reference until they're accepted into the server.
I don't think the physical book would work. It'd take way too long to do/program and it'd probably cause a lot of lag. Although it would be good to have a timed announcement telling people about the guest book. Coffey, I agree with some of your points, however, it will still decrease the amount of time players and mods have to spend instructing every new player on the commands. Once they first use it, they won't have to ask any more questions, if it's easy enough to understand.
The devs are looking at this thread and are absoloutely SH*TTING themselves in case they have to code that xDDD

And anyways if you want to put up a broadcast on the server every 15 mins saying open your inventory and open up the booklet that took the devs 3 years of coding and the preservation of there virginity (lol) then why not just have a broadcast telling them a thread they could go to for help...

I believe Mr Flip had a very good thread a while back for guests wich could be bumped back up...
If it can't be interactive, I doubt guests will look at it then. You know the Minetown Zoo? Perhaps the GuestWorld can have a section like that where they can walk through it and, in glass, examples of what signs lining the glass are talking about can be found xD Haha idk I guess we'll just need some more ideas on this page
I just think there are easier ways to go about informing guests than getting devs to program this beast of a java script
Ziminite wrote:
If it can't be interactive, I doubt guests will look at it then. You know the Minetown Zoo? Perhaps the GuestWorld can have a section like that where they can walk through it and, in glass, examples of what signs lining the glass are talking about can be found xD Haha idk I guess we'll just need some more ideas on this page

But the thing is they wont read it... If a lot dont read the spawn signs then why would they go to the trouble of having to find out a warp to where they can go to, to read, when they could be playing minecraft.

I dont even think there is a problem with guests anymore anyways?

You never hear them complaining about lack of information... and u know why?:

Because the server already has the most advanced interactive help system a server can get: 'The Minetown Community'

Theres nothing wrong with them asking some questions and making thread for help and even making some friends in the process.
I was kidding lol, but although it seems like a good idea at the moment..........we could have it worse. At least the guests aren't overwhelming us completely. I still like the idea of making it easier for guests to get a grip on the basics, but we simply don't have a great idea that doesn't take straight work. We'll just have to keep explaining stuff I suppose ^^;
I dont see a problem with that. I think its the easiest and most effective solotion to a problem that doesnt exist
/me makes a comment...

Go to the Wiki Page!!!! Its a how to guide for starting players <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>