Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] An ingame guest help 'booklet'
Started by [E] nicilbar

I realise that we already have some great help pages on minetown, but that still doesn't stop the guests or less experienced players from having to ask a lot of questions about the various commands available to them and what they do. I suggest that we have a kind of booklet which the players can access, giving them detailed information on the various things they will need to know upon empbarking on their journey in MineTown. Things like petitions could be covered thoroughly and other commands such as the kits and /cprivate would be covered too, with each 'page' having information on a different subject or command. The commands to use the booklet could be something like /guesthelp 1 to read the first page, then /guesthelp 2 to read the second and so on, possibly with and index too (/guesthelp index). I know that all of this information is able to be accessed on the website or wiki already but I think it'd be really good to have an ingame version. Signs would be put up at the spawn directing the guests to use the commands. Let me know if you think it's a good idea or a bad one, or if you think it needs some changes. If you think it needs changes, feel free to list them in a post.
Being a new player myself, only having been here 2 weeks at the most, I found myself exploring every corner of the website to find everything I needed from Chat explanations to simple commands, and had I been able to access it all from the start, it would have made the job a lot easier. I'm all for this new idea, seeing as we get new members every day! Plus, I am kinda tired of all the questions flooding the chat...I never really did that since I did the work to explore the site. :/
Cool. Glad you think it's a good idea <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
nicilbar. I like your idea, but it would be too difficult for new players. If I was new, I'd get frustrated with everyone typing so much that I can't read the page. I'd find myself doing the command for page 1 10 minutes straight before I finally am able to finish reading it. I really like your idea, though. I just don't think it has a good opportunity with a community of our size.

Maybe we should organize the wiki in a way that all the basic commands are in one place and easy to find?
They won't bother reading. They'll still ask.
I was thinking this:

A 'newbie' spawn, which can be configured, so if this is your FIRST time on the server, thats where you will spawn. THen, they have to walk through a hallway, with signs that explain the rules, and little exhibits of each rule, so people can have a visual representation of how the rules are applied, etc (Like a good house, and a griefed house). Then at the end, after all the rules are read, there would be a my warp sign, to take them into our spawn.

Hopefully that made sense <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> I can make an example building, and post a pic, if you want. But, thats my idea <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
Well I have a mod called the kingdoms mod or something like that and at the start it gives you a book which is readable so I maybe we would be able to get something like that but change around the words inside it. Overall I think it is quite a good idea because I have seen lots of mods getting frustrated with the amount of pe's,questions,applications,ban appeals. So something along the lines of this would be useful, and maybe a new "rank" called the type person who will answer your questions IF the mods are busy. I know on the forum before we had a big "debate" about a rank called the which I am not going to go into further detail about the matter.
How about a forum topic called

BEGGINING IN MINETOWN

And have a sorta wiki list of stuff
nah i think theres just enough information for guests on the spawn boards and on a good few very helpful threads.

I think somebody mentioned making a thread up there: There are a lot of threads out there for guests, it doesnt matter how much u make they will still get pushed from the recent threads and be hard to find again.

So i think there is all the information they need already out there if they really wanted to find out

EDIT: anyways there is nothing wrong with them just asking in game or making a thread, as most do

All this will be is a burden on the dev tam
I think most of you have very good points, and I know it won't completely fix the problem but it'll certainly help. The idea is to have something portable, so the guests - who are probably all very confused when they arrive and see all the signs all over spawn - would be able to spend some time reading over it in guest world or while exploring, instead of having to go and explore the website. We could have a channel where the guests could go into, then leave the other channels (how to do this could be explained in the first page). I realise I'm turning a more simple idea into a complicated one here. I'm really just throwing it out there. I think it'd be great to have a guest help booklet, though I'll leave it to the Devs, Mods, Admins and Sawine to work out the kinks if they decide to use it <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Enjoy your day

-nicilbar-