Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Laptop overheating problem (help me D:)
Started by Unknown User

Hey,

I game on a laptop, it's a pretty good laptop that works well but I'm having a real problem with heat.

I'm constantly getting shutdowns when playing games which really shouldn't cause an overheat...

I have tried an air duster and vacuum cleaner from the outside but it has not done anything. Im not comfortable with dismantling the laptop myself and I'm not sure if the fan is jammed or not as it seems to be pumping out hot air all the time.

I recently got a nice little programm called speccy which taps into sensors and stuff on your computer and found that when I play stuff like war thunder, borderlands 2 or left4dead 2 my CPU was reaching temps of over 90 degrees C...

I was looking at a laptop cooling pad but I'm not sure which to get, I saw one called the t5 which had 5 fans but there arnt many reviews.

I was wondering if I was being stupid and doing something wrong (and it's not that I'm blocking vents because I'm practically holding it up I the air)

So...help?
Air can get in/out in your laptop at the bottom of it. As you can see there are small gaps at the bottom, this is where cold air can come in or out. If you block these ways it doesnt mean the end of your laptop, cold air can still get in through the fan, but still.. i always try to have these gaps open for a better airflow.

Here's a picture that makes clear what im trying to tell you:

314261_ed638bb105_4.jpg

A cooling pad blows cold air into these gaps, which cools the parts within the laptop. Just look to the cooling pad youre about to buy and where the gaps are at the bottom of your laptop, if you find a cooling pad that fits perfectly with your laptop, you should go for that one.

I hope this helps you and if you want i can help you with your search for the perfect cooling pad <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>
Hey a cooling pad would help you, i got mine for $15 at Walmart. i doubt your CPU is at any risk of melting at only 90C or which is 194F. i know i need a pad because dust has gotten into my fan. i used a air compressor from my garage on it, (didn't have any compressed air) and it didn't help too much, if your not comfortable opening it up then don't.

-Lance
If it's blowing hot air then it's probably not the fan off balance or anything, I bet the cpu needs to be re-pasted. When the processor is installed, they use thermal paste to make a good, heat conductive connection to the copper heat sync to better deliver the heat away. Over the course of a few years, this paste can dry out and crack, which is probably what has happened. On a desktop it's super easy to perform, but laptops have to be entirely dismantled 90% of the time... If you're not comfortable, then you could take it somewhere to have it done, but it could cost upwards of $100-$150 since there is labor to do the teardown on it. If the laptop is older or you don't want to spend that much money on it, the cooling pad may or maynot help, it's worth a try tho <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Thanks so much for the help guys, I'm gonna have a look into that re-pasting thing and I'm probly gonna get the pad noted in the op.

Any other suggestions are still welcome
if your going to have it repasted then use some good paste like acrylic silver, i used that when i fixed the red ring of death on my first xbox 360 that got it.
Have them blast all of that dust and dirt out if you have someone change it. My laptop used to get to over 90C before I really vacuumed and sprayed the dust out. Spraying with air after I had vacuumed it kept it much cooler than just vacuuming alone. It runs at about 65-75C when Minecraft is running now. Having it on a flat surface/cooling pad/lifted up also keeps it cooler. I melted an Internet adaptor once by having it laying on a down comforter and Skyping.
also, get a pad with fans... you want it to PULL air, not PUSH it... air flow is whats important, not just air in general... obv there is air in there now <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

also, desktops are for gaming, netbooks are for mobile, laptops are useless nowadays <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
Yah, the pad noted does pull air, and laptops really arnt useless these days lol. I use it a lot for school work. Especially for CAD which needs a decent amount of power. My laptop has specs comparable to a lot of desktops these days I think, it's just it overheats a bit <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Cooling pad will probably fix the issue. Be sure you don't put the laptop on a pillow or your lap when using it - instead, use a hard flat surface so the machine can breathe from the bottom / sides.