Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] [Announcement] Accounts Being Hacked!
Started by [E] Zionia

This Public Service Announcement is brought to you by the letter XXX and the number 69.

There has been a growing number of hacked accounts lately. Please be aware that you are responsible for anything that happens under your account even if you are hacked. To prevent this, the staff highly recommends taking several precautions to protect yourself.

`DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION WITH ANYONE!!!

`Make sure you have a solid, hard to crack password. mittens is a bad password....M1tTenZ39 is a descent password...8fn32z39jbab@#^2f2rf is a bester password...

`Change your password regularly. Once every month or two is recommended.

`Dont share your account info with anyone.

`Keep an active eye on your account. If you notice something out of the ordinary, change your password

`If you know you have been hacked, report it to a mod ASAP and request your account be banned until you get the password changed. This will be lifted as soon as you let us know you have your account fixed, whereas if someone comes and F's up the server as you, it can be a permaban.

`Most important: Dont share your darn account info with ANYONE!!! Dunno if i said that already or not... <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

Remember, only you can prevent forest fires...i mean MC Account Theft! So take action and protect yourselves before i have to beat you silly with my ban hammer

Please only post relative important things here or i will lock the thread. All nonsensical things will be deleted. This is a very serious matter and I want this thread just to be short sweet and to the point.
* Note- It would be a bad Idea to use any of Zionia's Password suggestions since they have just been announced to the public via the thread you are currently reading.

password%25252520safety.gif.png
lol ima use mittens jk <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object> but really ONLY You (*Points at you*) can privent wild fir..... i mean MC account theft <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

eJxzTE7OL80rUSjJSE0rUdBVcPH3CwESCp4hXMEh_gEKjs7O_qFAoRAPV7cQRa6UgvKM1MSS_DxDI2Mu9_wUBf80hfDEIq6AzOTsxIpULiNTUy5jIDQAAJrQGSo~.png
Here are steps you can take to create a strong password. Some or all might help protect your online accounts:

Length. Make your passwords long with eight or more characters.

Complexity. Include letters, punctuation, symbols, and numbers. Use the entire keyboard, not just the letters and characters you use or see most often. The greater the variety of characters in your password, the better. However, password hacking software automatically checks for common letter-to-symbol conversions, such as changing "and" to "&" or "to" to "2."

Variation. To keep strong passwords effective, change them often. Set an automatic reminder for yourself to change your passwords on your email, banking, and credit card websites about every three months.

Variety. Don't use the same password for everything. Cybercriminals steal passwords on websites that have very little security, and then they use that same password and user name in more secure environments, such as banking websites.

There are many ways to create a long, complex password. Here are some suggestions that might help you remember it easily:

What to do

Example

Start with a sentence or two.

Complex passwords are safer.

Remove the spaces between the words in the sentence.

Complexpasswordsaresafer.

Turn words into shorthand or intentionally misspell a word.

ComplekspasswordsRsafer.

Add length with numbers. Put numbers that are meaningful to you after the sentence.

ComplekspasswordsRsafer2011.

Note: Do not use any of the examples, these are here to give you an idea on how to make a lengthy password. To be safe, use these steps as a start of an idea and I recommend switching it up and adding to it.
I thought I would share this guide I found on another website. I have edited it slightly to fit this purpose.
Another Website wrote:

If you invited me to try and crack your password, you know the one that you use over and over for like every web page you visit, how many guesses would it take before I got it?

Let’s see… here is my top 10 list. I can obtain most of this information much easier than you think, then I might just be able to get into your e-mail, computer, or MC account. After all, if I get into one I’ll probably get into all of them.

Your partner, child, or pet’s name, possibly followed by a 0 or 1 (because they’re always making you use a number, aren’t they?)

The last 4 digits of your social security number.

123 or 1234 or 123456.

“password”

Your city, or college, football team name.

Date of birth – yours, your partner’s or your child’s.

“god”

“letmein”

“money”

“love”

Statistically speaking that should probably cover about 20% of you. But don’t worry. If I didn’t get it yet it will probably only take a few more minutes before I do…

Hackers, and I’m not talking about the ethical kind, have developed a whole range of tools to get at your personal data. And the main impediment standing between your information remaining safe, or leaking out, is the password you choose. (Ironically, the best protection people have is usually the one they take least seriously.)

One of the simplest ways to gain access to your information is through the use of a Brute Force Attack. This is accomplished when a hacker uses a specially written piece of software to attempt to log into a site using your credentials.

So, how would one use this process to actually breach your personal security? Simple. Follow my logic:

You probably use the same password for lots of stuff right?

Some sites you access such as your Bank probably have pretty decent security, so I’m not going to attack them.

However, other sites like the Hallmark e-mail greeting cards site, an online forum you frequent i.e Central or social site you’ve visited might not be as well prepared. So those are the ones I’d work on.

So, all we have to do now is unleash a program on their server with instructions to try say 10,000 (or 100,000 – whatever makes you happy) different usernames and passwords as fast as possible.

Once we’ve got several login+password pairings we can then go back and test them on targeted sites.

But wait… How do I know which site you use and what your login ID is for the sites you frequent? All those cookies are simply stored, unencrypted and nicely named, in your Web browser’s cache.

And how fast could this be done?

Well, that depends on three main things, the length and complexity of your password, the speed of the hacker’s computer, and the speed of the hacker’s Internet connection.

Assuming the hacker has a reasonably fast connection and PC here is an estimate of the amount of time it would take to generate every possible combination of passwords for a given number of characters. After generating the list it’s just a matter of time before the computer runs through all the possibilities – or gets shut down trying.

Pay particular attention to the difference between using only lowercase characters and using all possible characters (uppercase, lowercase, and special characters – like @#$%^&*). Adding just one capital letter and one asterisk would change the processing time for an 8 character password from 2.4 days to 2.1 centuries.

FireShotcapture107-HowIdHackYourWea.jpg

Remember, these are just for an average computer, and these assume you aren’t using any word in the dictionary. If Google put their computer to work on it they’d finish about 1,000 times faster.

Now, I could go on for hours and hours more about all sorts of ways to compromise your security and generally make your life miserable – but 95% of those methods begin with compromising your weak password. So, why not just protect yourself from the start and sleep better at night?

Believe me, I understand the need to choose passwords that are memorable. But if you’re going to do that how about using something that no one is ever going to guess AND doesn’t contain any common word or phrase in it.

Here are some password tips:

Randomly substitute numbers for letters that look similar. The letter ‘o’ becomes the number ‘0′, or even better an ‘@’ or ‘*’. (i.e. – m0d3ltf0rd… like modelTford)

Randomly throw in capital letters (i.e. – Mod3lTF0rd)

Think of something you were attached to when you were younger, but DON’T CHOOSE A PERSON’S NAME! Every name plus every word in the dictionary will fail under a simple brute force attack.

Maybe a place you loved, or a specific car, an attraction from a vacation, or a favorite restaurant?

You really need to have different username / password combinations for everything. Remember, the technique is to break into anything you access just to figure out your standard password, then compromise everything else. This doesn’t work if you don’t use the same password everywhere.

Since it can be difficult to remember a ton of passwords, I recommend using Roboform for Windows users. It will store all of your passwords in an encrypted format and allow you to use just one master password to access all of them. It will also automatically fill in forms on Web pages.

Mac users can use 1Password. It is essentially the same thing as Roboform, except for Mac, and they even have an iPhone application so you can take them with you too.

Once you’ve thought of a password, try Microsoft’s password strength tester to find out how secure it is.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of the passwords you think matter least actually matter most. For example, some people think that the password to their e-mail box isn’t important because “I don’t get anything sensitive there.” Well, that e-mail box is probably connected to your MC account. If I can compromise it then I can log into the MC Web site and tell it I’ve forgotten my password to have it e-mailed to me. Now, what were you saying about it not being important?

Now I realize that every day we encounter people who over-exaggerate points in order to move us to action, but trust me this is not one of those times. There are 50 other ways you can be compromised and punished for using weak passwords that I haven’t even mentioned.

I also realize that most people just don’t care about all this until it’s too late and they’ve learned a very hard lesson. But why don’t you do me, MT, Mojang and yourself, a favor and take a little action to strengthen your passwords and let me know that all the time I spent on this wasn’t completely in vain.

Last but not least...if anyone ever asks you for your user name and password report them.

Please, be safe. It’s a jungle out there.

Hope I helped

-Insert
I change my password weekly lol, i always have, my previous password was pwn3Dinmnecft8797

<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object> :excited2:
eJxzTE7OL80rUSjJSE0rUdBVcPH3CwESCp4hXAFF-SWpySUKlfmlRQoFicXF5flFKYoKXCkF5RmpiSX5eYZGxlzu-SkK_mkK4YlFXAGZydmJFalcRqamXMZAaAAAg0scnw~~.png
Here are MY personal rules I follow for passwords.

1)Choose a phrase or sentence that is off-topic (Not something that someone would relate to you.)

Got it? Good,

2)Next step, remove spaces, and capitalize the first letter of each word.

3)Next, use 1337speak to change some letters into numbers/symbols (only change SOME letters)

4)Finally, add a number at the end. One you will remember, but isn't one that people will guess you chose.

Lastly, make sure the password follows these steps:

-Make sure you use caps AND lowercase.

-Make sure you include symbols AND numbers. (such as $%^ and 356)

-Make sure it is longer than 8 characters(As Insert's chart shows, the longer the better )

-Make sure nobody will guess it. For example, if all you ever talk about is cats, dont make your password "ILoveCats!1997"

Here is an example.

AFTER STEP ONE: "nobody will crack me"

AFTER STEP TWO: "NobodyWillCrackMe"

AFTER STEP THREE: "N0bodyWillCr4ckM3!"

AFTER STEP FOUR: "N0bodyWillCr4ckM3!1996"

Also, remember to NEVER EVER EVER share this with anyone. period, and I mean it. Not even your best friend.

If someone's like "Hey, give me your password and I will give you !

You should respond with a "no" "nope" or even a "Never!"

Plus, if you share this information (through the web, especially) it could become vulnerable to a hacker if they decide to hack into the database of the site that you used to share it.
Forrest Gump wrote:
And that's all I have to say about that.

-Stathve1
Stathve1 wrote:
Here are MY personal rules I follow for passwords.

1)Choose a phrase or sentence that is off-topic (Not something that someone would relate to you.)

Got it? Good,

2)Next step, remove spaces, and capitalize the first letter of each word.

3)Next, use 1337speak to change some letters into numbers/symbols (only change SOME letters)

4)Finally, add a number at the end. One you will remember, but isn't one that people will guess you chose.

Lastly, make sure the password follows these steps:

-Make sure you use caps AND lowercase.

-Make sure you include symbols AND numbers. (such as $%^ and 356)

-Make sure it is longer than 8 characters(As Insert's chart shows, the longer the better )

-Make sure nobody will guess it. For example, if all you ever talk about is cats, dont make your password "ILoveCats!1997"

Here is an example.

AFTER STEP ONE: "nobody will crack me"

AFTER STEP TWO: "NobodyWillCrackMe"

AFTER STEP THREE: "N0bodyWillCr4ckM3!"

AFTER STEP FOUR: "N0bodyWillCr4ckM3!1996"

Also, remember to NEVER EVER EVER share this with anyone. period, and I mean it. Not even your best friend.

If someone's like "Hey, give me your password and I will give you !

You should respond with a "no" "nope" or even a "Never!"

Plus, if you share this information (through the web, especially) it could become vulnerable to a hacker if they decide to hack into the database of the site that you used to share it.
Forrest Gump wrote:
And that's all I have to say about that.

-Stathve1

People ples don't make your "N0bodyWillCr4ckM3!1996" lol
A lot of my passwords are 4 characters... <--- what not to do