Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Minetown Stock Exchange
Started by [E] Crazelmax

Hey everyone,

HunterKiller and I talked in game about a Stock Exchange, and I have been trying to think of a way we could possibly make a stock Exchange work. If you have any thoughts or idea's please share, anything helps! Also I love you <3

tumblr_mcfcrru0z51rahme9o1_500.gif
Well, having stocks requires accounting skills. This isn't just what you own, but includes your savings (chests) worth. This will also include land value. So we'd need to price land accordingly. In addition, we'd need to set solid values of EVERY item. This way, stocks will have somewhere to start. Of course, prices could deviate from that price for items, hence stock value fluctuation. There's a whole lot more work involved in a stock exchange than you might think.
Starting a stock exchange could also create a lot of problems for the Staff of Minetown. People might complain that they didn't get their items back from the stock exchange, and then complain to Staff. People also might not understand how the stock exchange works, therefor they may think that you stole their diamonds.

This would take a lot of the Staff's time to sort these things out, the time could be spent elsewehere.
I can see the headline now: Sawine Guilty of Insider Trading
DylanBryanRoss wrote:
Starting a stock exchange could also create a lot of problems for the Staff of Minetown. People might complain that they didn't get their items back from the stock exchange, and then complain to Staff. People also might not understand how the stock exchange works, therefor they may think that you stole their diamonds.

This would take a lot of the Staff's time to sort these things out, the time could be spent elsewehere.

You wouldn't be able to use diamonds for a stock exchange, anyways. You'd have to use MTC, since MTC could be defined as a "solid currency." Diamonds can be sold for mtc, and therefore can have a fluctuating price that would fluctuate way too often if stocks were introduced. MTC would be used to buy those diamonds, therefore MTC would be needed to buy stocks. However, those who sell stocks would be required to have (in MTC in their account) 1.1 times what their stock total is worth. For example, if my clan has 100 stocks at 10mtc per stock, I'd have 1000 MTC of assets just in stock. But, I'd be required to hold 1100 MTC for fluctuation purposes. Now then... 1000 MTC in value of everything I own on just Main1 is quite the understatement (as everything I own I've give to my clan). I'd probably have about 100,000 MTC worth in items and such, so I'd need 110,000 MTC. I have about 12,000 MTC... and I doubt many people who are "rich" have a MTC equivalent to what they own.

the only way this could ever work is to have a plugin. However, the plugin will cause SEVERE lag and I would ask that no such plugin be created. Yes, this plugin can be created after a time, however let me explain this. The plugin will be forced to monitor prices of items, as well as track transactions of shop signs. This will be the only for sure way to track value of a player. Not to mention, staff would have to go 1 by 1 to EVERY player seeing what their worth is to add to the plugin. So there'd be tons of data in that plugin, which would take up too many valuable server resources, in my opinion.

A stock exchange can't work on an honor system. Hell, if it's an honor system I'm going to go ahead and say "I'm the richest person on the server, and anyone who says I'm wrong deserves to be the poorest person. What, you say I'm bsing? Well... go become more poor." We'll be getting a lot of that sort of thing from players, claiming that they and their clans are worth more than their actual worth. And screen shots would be bs, if they try to prove it that way. I could easily go to creative mode, and make a vault that looks like my vault and screens hot a chest full of diamond blocks. I could also get some chat plugins with color and do the /money in creative on a sever I created just for the chat purpose, and write it all saying I have 9,999,999,999,999 MTC. Of course, the mtc could be checked by Staff but that would waste their time.

I mean no offense to this idea. In fact, I love the idea of a stock exchange. If there was a way to implement this idea, I would give my full support. However, I'm very active in all forum posts related to the economy. I love studying the economy as just a hobby, and I'm working on a minor in business admin (found out I have all but one class for that minor done so decided to sign up for it to get the minor awarded, lol).

If we look at the case of EVE online, the stock system there is just so broken. Stocks have a set value, and members have to vote on how many stocks to add. Then you sell the stocks to increase your income to work on a space station (that is what the money is usually used for). However... no one participates in the stock exchange there. Why? Every corp starts with 1000 stocks there, and if you sell the stocks you can take the money into your personal account if you're the leader, then disband the corp. That person will lose their 1000 stocks, and the money they paid you. Whilst you keep the money yourself. So, given this... a clan's net worth can NEVER exceed 15,000 MTC. This is the price to start a clan, and if a clan's value becomes higher it would be unfair to create a clan, sell for 15,001 in stocks, disband, create a new clan, sell for 25,000 in stock, etc...

Because this is online, there will be TOO many limitations we'd have to put on stocks. There's just way too much work, in my opinion, to allow stocks on the server.

AGAIN, I LOVE THE IDEA OF STOCKS. I am not targeting any of you. Because of what I wrote, I have to write this because I don't want anyone to start complaining that I'm attacking them. Crazelmax, you have a great idea and I love it, it is just impossible to implement on the server without taking into consideration so many things. It really isn't worth the time considering all that has to be done, I'm sorry to say that. Again, I love the idea. DylanBryanRoss, I was only correcting you on your idea, although the foundation on your idea was correct. I was merely providing more insight.

There, now you know I'm not attacking anyone. Again, great ideas guys. I'll keep thinking of a way to implement stocks on the server without taking up staff time and without a plugin, if you want? My prof plays online games all the time, so he might have an idea. I could ask him next week what we could do with limited resources on the server.
while it would be fun to try to do...i think dunsjohn pointed out most of the issues with it. The only way we could im-plement it would be to wipe free trade and start from scratch with the server defining what the value of every item is and then letting free market resume...unfortunately it would also require several people dedicated to just running the stock and checking who sells what for what 24/7/365...i do not wish trhe hassle that would come from this implication in any way...and there would be a lot of issues with insider info, players getting cheated, and other issues that would arise.
Crazel, I didn't say I'd be starting a Stock Exchange. I said I'm building the Tokyo Stock Exchange. As in the building. xD
Ah Jobs! A Rarity in Minetown <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
hunter thats basically the stock exchange haha <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object> Well if it will cause to much trouble I guess we shouldn't Do it, but it is a cool thought i'd say!
I like the idea but it is just to much work