Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] I need some help with hardware...
Started by Unknown User

Hey guys

Soon I will be getting a new laptop for my GCSE work and probly a new pc as mine is about to die

Basically

I want to know what is suggested for specs for running minecraft and maybe a small minecraft server

2-5 people...

Laptop and of specs and any models you know of that are good for me then tell meh

I don't really want to build my own as I don't have the knowledge to feel safe with spending money on parts then not getting them to work...

If anyone could show me a guide to building my own pc I can have a look at that....

If you have built you own pc or know about your pc can you tellme what u got in it. So I can, If I do make my own, see what parts u guys have

And if you can tell me performance in game (fps)

Thanks for ze help

BARNEY626
Just wanted to mention that i go to the same school as barney and am also looking for a laptop fairly similar to what barney described, so i would also be grateful for suggestions.
Unless you want to spend a lot on a laptop, you won't really find one that will smoothly run a 5 person server + the client.

I would recommend 4GB RAM with a 2.0+ GHz processor from intel's latest range: i3, i5 or i7

If you want a laptop that will be an all round good gaming platform, then you're out of luck (Unless you want to fork out for an overpriced alienware machine)

But there are still laptops with dedicated graphics out there, let me have a look and then I'll update the post.

EDIT: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1331ea-15-6-laptop-silver-11884802-pdt.html

6GB Ram, 1GB Graphic Memory and up-to-date Quad-Core AMD Processor. That's a powerhouse as far as laptops go, and it's pretty cheap. I didn't even know they were that good these days.

Anyway, happy shopping. I'm happy to answer any more questions although I think that pretty much solves it ^
Thanks tp

I wasn't going to run the server on the laptop lol

U think I am totaly dum? Lol

That laptop does look great actually....

Might get it....
What is bad about having solid state hard drive?

I heard people had some weird stuff happening but not sure what

U know anything?
His looks really good, this is the cheapest ive seen yet with this sort of standard, my only concern is only 1.6 gigahurtz, is that enough? Anyway, thanks tp, really useful.

Edit: "his"? Well, thats what i get for typing on my ipod lol
BARNEY626 wrote:
What is bad about having solid state hard drive?

I heard people had some weird stuff happening but not sure what

U know anything?

Erm, this doesn't have a Solid State Drive so that's not an issue, but it would be a bonus if it did. Not a problem. Solid State Drives are a LOT faster than regular hard drives but a hell of a lot more expensive.
spaceagent66 wrote:
His looks really good, this is the cheapest ive seen yet with this sort of standard, my only concern is only 1.6 gigahurtz, is that enough? Anyway, thanks tp, really useful.

Edit: "his"? Well, thats what i get for typing on my ipod lol

Don't worry about that either. I guess it's not great but you have to remember that this is a QUAD CORE processor. A lot more power in that than a dual or single core.
How much more are we looking at?

And Is it POSSABLE if I buy that laptop that I can change hard drive to solid state?
Hmmm... you can. I wouldn't recommend it though. A lot of hassle for little gain. Most people use SSDs in desktop computers where they can store multiple harddrives. In this case, the laptop has only one. Solid State Drives are VERY expensive and you're likely to spend as much as you spent on the laptop itself JUST on a new hard drive. £100 will get you perhaps 100/120GB? That's impractical these days.

Trust me, it's really not worth it. They are good for moving files form one place to another and for launching apps quickly, but it's not important unless you have money to play with.
K thanks tp