Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] I own a 13inch i7 MBP. What effects does opengl have on my computer?
Started by [E] antonyoo

Speed? Battery?
Its a "3d accelerator"
Im sorry but I dont even know what that would mean. Does it mean it would use more battery to help it run faster?
increases frame rate
OpenGL is a library of commands (similar to a programming language, but designed to be used as a supplement to others) involving graphics. It contains functions for drawing lines and polygons, defining textures and lighting, etc. The special thing about it is that it is an industry-standard library and ALL graphics cards are made to respond directly to its commands, rather than the CPU doing the drawing work. The "accelerator" effect mentioned before has nothing to do with OpenGL itself, only that OpenGL is a way to "talk" to your graphics card which then processes drawing operations faster than the CPU. If you don't have a graphics card, OpenGL will be executed by your regular CPU, but that will be much slower. The library itself does not accelerate anything.
Wug wrote:
OpenGL is a library of commands (similar to a programming language, but designed to be used as a supplement to others) involving graphics. It contains functions for drawing lines and polygons, defining textures and lighting, etc. The special thing about it is that it is an industry-standard library and ALL graphics cards are made to respond directly to its commands, rather than the CPU doing the drawing work. The "accelerator" effect mentioned before has nothing to do with OpenGL itself, only that OpenGL is a way to "talk" to your graphics card which then processes drawing operations faster than the CPU. If you don't have a graphics card, OpenGL will be executed by your regular CPU, but that will be much slower. The library itself does not accelerate anything.

You just earned 9 Fox Creds for this post!
I had typed up a more understandable post afterwards, but I hit something that got me out of the page so I lost it. -_-
Wug wrote:

Exactly what I was gonna say!

You know, if I knew what any of it meant anyway.
The fact that you're on a 13" MBP means that you don't have an inbuilt graphics card, only intel's average onboard graphics 3000.

As far as I'm aware (don't quote me though...) OpenGL will have no effect on this as the graphics are part of the CPU, not an external card.
Wug wrote:
I had typed up a more understandable post afterwards, but I hit something that got me out of the page so I lost it. -_-

Well, I understood it and I LIKED it. Those are the only requirements for Fox Creds... Sometimes I don't even have to understand it!