Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Suggestion: A way to combat server lag
Started by [E] Klawful

I suggest you filter out players who have a high ping.

Anyone with a ping exceeding an AVERAGE of 200-250* (maybe 300) would be kicked automatically. (To prevent auto-kicks of short-burst spikes, the high ping must average over 250 for atleast 2mins)

Donators would be excluded from this filter, and allowed to play regardless of ping

This would GREATLY combat the bandwidth based lag that happens when too many players are on.

*250 would be the optimal number. Most modern broadband connections are capable of under 100, so this would not affect most players.
Nice idea.

We do have new hardware on the way though.
Considering the server is running Xeon cores and raid SSD's, I doubt any new hardware you get could make too much more of a difference. I could be wrong tho, there are some rather expensive PCI-E SSD's that cache off a m-sata SSD. That'd be some mean read/write speeds.

MC reads and writes like Shakespeare on Ecstasy, Speed and Coffee.
... Server talk
Ping is also related to distance, I'm pretty sure.

Wouldn't be fair for our European members with mediocre connections would it.
Klawful wrote:
I suggest you filter out players who have a high ping.

Anyone with a ping exceeding an AVERAGE of 200-250* (maybe 300) would be kicked automatically. (To prevent auto-kicks of short-burst spikes, the high ping must average over 250 for atleast 2mins)

Donators would be excluded from this filter, and allowed to play regardless of ping

This would GREATLY combat the bandwidth based lag that happens when too many players are on.

*250 would be the optimal number. Most modern broadband connections are capable of under 100, so this would not affect most players.

So you are recommending that you kick me, Oki, Gigglegasm, Nuekaede and hundreds of other oceanic players to combat the issue?

I haz a problem with this.

Hell why not just make the server American / Canadian ONLY or GTFO?
Seeing as how the server has some powerful hardware for minecraft, is It really ping that causes MT to lag like a mofo? Because out here in Nevada I have a beast connection but MT lags so hard.
GO AMERICA!

jk its a bad idea
Noh wai

Also, craftermaster, FPS lag is very different to server lag.