Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Need help installing OS on formatted hard drive iMac G4 800mhz
Started by [E] Minecr_ft

This is my last resort, I've posted on a few websites now and nothing, I've been waiting for a response now for who knows how long. I just bought an iMac G4 , 800mhz processor, 256 mb ram, 80 gb hard drive. I know absolutely nothing about Macs, so forgive me if this is a stupid or simple question. I downloaded Os x leopard 10.5, and put it on a flash drive, turned on the iMac, then there was the start up sound, and on the screen it showed the folder, with a ? on it. I plugged in the Flash Drive, and nothing happened, so I plugged in my keyboard, and started pressing buttons because I didn't know what else to do. Well, nothing happened, so I turned it off, and tried looking it up, and found out the you need an 867mhz processor to install 10.5, however there is something called leopard assist, which tricks it into thinking it's like 933 mhz or something. I like I said, I know nothing about Macs, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well....If you need 867mhz processor to install 10.5, and you have a 800mhz processor... Then I would not upgrade. Just stay at the Os that you have currently.
Your Mac doesn't meet the requirements for 10.5. Tiger (10.4.11) is the highest for that Mac.
I don't have an OS currently installed, I'm trying to get an OS on it right now. Just finished downloading 10.4.11.
Yeah, don't upgrade to Leopard. With that low of a clock speed and RAM it won't be able to handle it. Tiger might have some problems as well, so if that happens then downgrade to Panther (10.3).
When ever I turn it on, I get the Finder folder, and a question mark folder. I don't have an apple computer, or an apple mouse. I can't open the CD Drive, and when I start it up and hold shift or c, nothing happens. I don't know anything about Macs, so can someone just tell me how to get an OS on it?
And I also tried holding the mouse button down, to no avail.
Figured out what the option key is on a generic keyboard, alt, and when I press that on power up, it gives me this lightblue background with two buttons, this " restart " button, and this forward arrow button, when I press the forward arrow button, nothing, and when I press the " restart " button nothing.
iMac

GG NO RE
I have learned from experience that with time and dedication, allmost anything can be done to modify a mac to fit your needs.