Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Warping Idea
Started by [E] Pompous_Lemur

napoleon another thing you may be forgetting is there is about a hundred abadoned towns out there just sitting idol this idea can bring about new life and show good places for new cities
Actually, there are reasons.

As stated it would serve to:

-Increase Faction Power

-Revitalize old cities and encourage new growth.

-Promote the Survival Aspect of the server.

-Provide a need for infrastructure for people to build: Train Stations, Airports, Ships, etc.

-Encourage Player Commerce. Shops will be in higher demand, especially in remote areas.

/Home and /Spawn should remain integrated, with a one or two minute timer between warps. That way, if you find a remote cave, you'll be able to get back.
An increase in faction power is not necessary as minecraft is not a war game, but a creative one. Second, cities that have failed a long time ago will not be reconstructed any faster than they are now. The reason for this is that although this system would provide benefits to fixing old, abandoned cities, it would also force the owners to somehow connect it to a rail system and set up mywarps across minetown. The amount of resources and time used will then be equal to the benefits. The survival aspect of the server can be brought out by those that want it. In other words, if you like fighting monsters, go out at night and do it. If someone likes the survival aspect of minecraft then they can enjoy it without ruining the creative aspect of the server for everyone else.

The real debate is on the last topic. Encouraging Player Commerce.

Effects:

-players will rely more on shops for items

-the server will become financially dependent

-power will be in the hands of the rich

Reasons Against:

-Players will rely on shops more but shop owners will not sell, as the items will become more valuable to them. In other words: Low supply, High demand. Things will become very expensive.

-Player commerce is already at a level at which those without money are still able to have fun. Changing this could have major consequences.

-Money will become everything to players. This will start fights over people stealing others things, as it would be hard and expensive to get back. We already have enough players arguing over topics like that. This would only escalate that situation.

-The third is also and effect: Power will be in the hands of the rich. We all know that this has caused major conflicts and financial depression across the world. New players will have a harder time acquiring money, as they will have to pay for transportation across the map. This will make it harder for new players who have just joined. Only the rich people will be able to do what they want, as others will have to work hard in order to build the simplest things. Guest will be less likely to become members and many members will be prone to leaving. I know that if something like this was implemented on a server, I would never join it. I have spent a while looking for a server with people and plugins is liked and if such a system is created, I would be the first to leave. The rich should not use their power and influence to make themselves richer, at the same time as making the lives of the poor miserable. That is the definition of selfishness.

If there is anyone who would like to play by this system, go create a bunch of planes, trains, and minecart tracks and do it. DO NOT force the rest of us to follow. Let me remind you that minecraft is a creative game. Although it can be used as survival, that is not the only aspect. Please do not force those of us who love playing this game with others to leave because they can no longer build what they want to. People can have fun with survival all they want so long as it does not interfere with the rest of us who are just trying to have fun.
You're blowing this out of proportion.

I actively play on another server with a train system in place as the main source of transportation. It is not a "God"Awful hellish beast.

It, in reality, spices up the game for everyone. If you want to go play creative, go play creative.

I don't think you really understand the concept, though. I'm saying that admins should construct public railways as the primary means of transportation. Thus, no one benefits monetarily from its use.

In addition, if you say it will encourage a greater rich/poor chasm, it is, in reality an equal playing field. Anyone who can gather resources and build a shop in a small town will be able to profit.

An increase of faction power due to control of roads would also be beneficial. Individuals would be able to join factions, which would now have a point, in order to accomplish tasks, make money, etc.
Umm, I dont think any of you get what he means. His idea is to build like a big ship or plane, then have a sign that you click on to warp to a replica of the same vehicle, found in another city. For example, you go to a dock where you see a ship. You climb aboard and see a sign that might say "Warp to GeorgeTown" or something like that. You right click on the sign, then you get off the ship, and find yourself at a different dock of a different city. Its not a huge extensive railway system. Its realistic, but still fast, travel.
My biggest point is this: Some people are trying to get rid of typing warps to make minecraft more realistic. But there are many people that do not want something like this implemented. Some of us use warps a lot for our transportation to and from projects. These people really do not want to have to walk to a transportation vehicle every time they would normally just use a warp. If you want to make minecraft like real life and not use typed warps then that is a decision that you personally can make. If you don't want to use typed warps JUST DON'T USE THEM!!!!!!
In regards to the towns: If the towns are truly abandoned, then no amount of infrastructure is going to make people go there and fix them. Why not just get rid of the towns instead?

......the Tracks: Minecart tracks are a cool idea: expensive as all hell, but cool. It's more of a luxury thing at best, but they shouldn't be the principle form of travel, ESPECIALLY if you're suggesting they be taxed.

......the Typing: It should be kept. It's quicker than anything and already used extensively: mandating signs is too limiting. People have a right to choose how they get to and from locations. If someone wants to go to all the trouble of making replicas for the effect of "travel" by any other means, more power to them. However, limiting players to hunt down a series of signs to get from one city to the next is a retrogressive move at best.
You put up a good point...but some people would like to use these "warp vehicles". I never said to get rid of warps, but I simply support the idea of adding warp signs so this is possible. Another alternative is RuneCraft

(see Runecraft thread: http://minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/891700-runecraft-mod/page/1#p4602386).

You can build teleporters, which could be used for this same purpose, while keeping warps.
I fully support the building of transportation vehicles for those who want to use them. All I want is for typing warps to still be active for those that want it.
Runecraft seems the best option, since you dont need Admins or Moderators to build teleporters and it wont have anything to do with changing the way warps work. If Runecraft is added as a plugin/mod, I can help anyone who wants to use teleporters in their "warp vehicles". I have a lot of experience with Runecraft.