Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Why MInetownPvP isn't "good"
Started by [E] MellowCream [1]

Surely the terrible PvP on Minetown couldn't be from lack of full scale war events....surely not
@268376 wrote:
Surely the terrible PvP on Minetown couldn't be from lack of full scale war events....surely not

Not enough people interested in it anymore <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/2639.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":(">:(</object>

Let's force everyone onto PVP for a month so we can take our anger out on each other kay?
Danny wrote:
@268376 wrote:

Not enough people interested in it anymore <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/2639.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":(">:(</object>

Let's force everyone onto PVP for a month so we can take our anger out on each other kay?

Sounds completely fool proof to me.
There was a certain server (which I cannot name because I will get banned but those involved know which server I'm talking about) that I, Danny, Grifff, mrbaconbitts, leaf, and a couple of others played which had about 200 people on it. We thoroughly enjoyed our time on the server and were about the third or second (maybe first I cannot remember) largest and richest faction on the server within a small timescale.

The server had a couple of perks to it which made it such a great server. The main thing that I liked about it was the shop.

The shop was pretty simple, had a small building just outside /spawn which you could buy and sell diamonds and other materials from cobblestone and dirt to iron ingots and redstone. The beautiful thing about the shop is that they sold mob eggs.

The mob eggs could be bought for a ridiculously high price which, for many, was rather out of reach because, obviously, creepers when they blow up make holes in things that you really don't want holes in (huehuehuehuehue). So you could spawn a creeper and blow a hole in any non-obsidian base wall, roof, floor or whatever. The way the purchasing of these eggs worked was you bought kits that gave you eggs on a basis of 24 hours (or maybe 48, I forget) so it would not be possible for anyone to buy many mob eggs and store them away for raiding use. The /stack command was also available for the stacking of mob eggs *only* and not for pickaxes or any other non-stackable item.

I think the creeper mob egg kit was 20000 credits. To put this in perspective for you, diamonds cost around 100 credits so you're looking at around 200 diamonds (over 3 stacks) for just one ability to get a single mob egg every 24 hours. Donators received benefits such as kits which offered creeper eggs every 24 hours for those who donated $50 or more and those who donated 3 figure numbers received enchantments and for top-end donors diamond kits and all donators had a donator market area which was available in the first few blocks of walking out of spawn which was only available to donators (but you could add people to the region if you wanted to make it a faction market)

A monthly event was held at which the winner would receive the "event market plot" which was smack-bang in the fact of those who went to the market.

Spawn leads me to my next point. Spawn was simple yet functional and had no fanciness but had extensive walls which made a square. The key was once you were out you could not get back and so there were around 10 exits so if someone was camping one spot there was always another spot for you to leave out of.

Using a silk touch pickaxe on mobspawners extracted the spawner and whatever mob it contained. Under our base we had 8 skeleton spawners linked to a 22 block drop (the minimum drop in order to make mobs with 10 hearts drop to half hearts) which we mostly acquired from raiding other people's bases and used it for level farming. There was no orebfuscator because with a volume of 200 players it was limited to its ability to perform without lagg but it was pretty much common knowledge that the majority of players used x-ray. Various steps were employed to reduce the amount of people who did xray and these included such methods used by Minetown such as counting the amount of diamond ores that a player had mined out in the past 24 hours and the ability to teleport to these locations to see if they had used an x-ray texture pack.

Bans were handed out to those who offended but were nothing like the bans that are on Minetown. Minetown's ban system is severely flawed (imho) as someone who swears in four separate incidents may receive more than a year long ban for their fourth offense. The ban system that they used was simple and very effective as it reflected the severity of their actions and not the number of offenses. Those caught using x-ray texture packs were given a lengthy ban of around a month which was long enough for them to learn from their mistakes but short enough for them to actually return to the server. Bans doubled each time someone committed the same offense (so 1st x-ray, 1 month, 2nd, 2 months, 3rd, 4 months) up until the 4th offense of the same type which resulted in a permanent ban with no chance of appeal unless the ban was itself a mistake.

Language was wholly permitted on the server with the exception of sexism and racism along with the infamous "C" word. Overwhelmingly excessive use of the "F" word and other, similarly strengthened words resulted in mutes which the duration increased up to a permanent mute which lasts for a minimum of 2 weeks and which the player must apply to be lifted in a ban appeal.

The most fun thing about the whole server was the fact that everyone was at least in their mid-teens and so you didn't get the stupid remarks like, "how do i get money?", "i need food", "will some1 be my friend" and, everybody's favourite, "wat do i do"

/rant

-pred
@752184 wrote:
@268376 wrote:

I support this, staff are forced as well and godmode and fly are deactivated.
Pred's rant, if you actually read it, suggests a very simple idea that I have seen in popular PVP servers. The only thing WhatItDo does not have in his control and I have to agree is a bit flawed in some places. But it isn't anything that can't be fixed.
@1123647 wrote:
Pred's rant, if you actually read it, suggests a very simple idea that I have seen in popular PVP servers. The only thing WhatItDo does not have in his control and I have to agree is a bit flawed in some places. But it isn't anything that can't be fixed.
So after reading both of your well explained opinions I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong is that what you guys are looking for is a basic simplistic PvP mode to be like the one you played on.

In regards to Nova's statement about me not having control over what ever it meant, I was a bit confused as to what you were referring to.

And unfortunately as good as your suggestion is about how the other server handled their issue, ban wise even on the PvP server, I have no control over how the bans are dealt with. Having said that I take all this into full consideration for the upcoming newer release that the PvP staff and I have been working on, and I support your argument.

Also thanks for leaving feedback, the more opinions the better.