Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] [Tekkit] Recent News, Changes, and a Poll About Dimensional Anchors
Started by [E] MastaC729

Hey everyone,

Before my schedule picks up again, I need to do some last-minute changes to make the Tekkit server more stable and secure for the players. That being said, I added in a patch to EE that routes all of the block place and break events so that they can be blocked by WorldGuard. However, there are a few tools that still haven't been patched. That being said, those tools might get banned to prevent damage to the spawn and to other people's protections. If you want to know what those tools are, ask me in Mumble sometime; I don't want everyone to know in the case that people go use them to make a mess more than some people have already.

In the next few days, I will try and work on moving Tekkit from Bukkit to Spigot. Spigot is better optimized, and it allows us to limit things that create unnecessary lag. However, I am still searching for Forge patches to Spigot, and any other mods that get installed to the server jar. As far as I know, ForgeModLoader is the only one, so I think all that needs to be done still is to put the files onto the server and test it out. I will make another post when this gets finished so that you all know.

Finally, I need your opinion on Dimensional anchors. As you may (or may not) know, Dimensional Anchors is the only chunk loader that is still enabled on the server. The mod has a configurable limit per person as to how many chunks one person can keep loaded at a time. However, since we have way more people than we did when this server first started, the usage of this mod creates lag when enough people get on to hit that magical chunks loaded cap. Dimensional Anchors keeps 3 chunks loaded per each player that has placed them. So even if there are only 7-10 people on at one time, there is always 3 chunks times the total amount of people that placed one. Without getting anymore technical, it essentially means that having certain chunks always loaded puts a cap on how many people can be on at completely different areas of the map before it starts lagging badly.

So what does mean to the Tekkit server users? Well, in order to decrease lag, I think the next step is to disable Dimensional Anchors as well. If it just so happens that it doesn't improve server performance, then I will bring them back. I have created a poll below; please only vote if you play on the server and are interested in the outcome of this decision. If you think they shouldn't be disabled, please mention why so that I might be able to find a way to compromise if the reason is important enough. Also, I will notify everyone with a separate post when the decision has been made.

P.S. I understand that default Tekkit allows all world anchors. and that some features need world anchors just to work. But keep in mind: all of the things that Tekkit adds to the game assume that the server is a small server with a small amount of world space being used. If Tekkit's mods weren't as resource demanding, then many of these issues wouldn't occur. However, when a majority of the modding community of composed of single individuals with enough programming experience to get by, it leads to messy coding. There are plenty of other features in Tekkit that are interesting, yet don't pose as much of a threat to the stability of the server.

-MastaC
Would there be a way to perhaps limit the number of chunks loaded to 2 or possibly 1 instead of getting rid of it entirely? I understand some people have some expansive stuff but maybe there could be a compromise?
I voted that they should be disabled.

If you add them, limit it to 1 per player.

What you said about technic assuming a private single player game is dead-on. There are many nice things in tekkit but the number of players that can concurrently enjoy those features 100% without the server being overloaded is low.

Can I suggest a local chat channel?
Please don't dissable them Masta I need them if I'm going to be pumping oil to my house.
Just have new people set up their house near the chunks that you need to keep active <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>

So far it's been working out great for me. My factories are pretty much loaded 24/7.

Both parties win on this <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f609.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=";)">;)</object>
If you limit it to one anchor per player then it could make people want to build towns and work together to make factories etc etc. BTW when is the server coming back up?
You can, if you have an energy condenser, convert one oil bucket into many if you have an EE source. You can also make an oil generator so you don't have to pump from a rig far off of the coast/teleport buckets/convert them.
In the next few days, I will be testing the server with no dimensional anchors. I want to see how much of an effect it has on server performance.
Assuming we still have lag issues, Perhaps resetting the server more regularly, I know it runs great for server hours after a reset, Maybe every 6 or 8 hours?
I'm going to get bad kudos for this but what do you think of reseting the entire Tekkit server... that would clear up alot of unused factories that could cause lag... also i would fix all the annoying griefing that happened to the area surrounding spawn... i'm just saying

Feedback is welcome...

Hatemail is welcome just sent it to I_Do_not_Love_you@gmailyahooaolhotmail.com (its a real email <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> hehehe not real)