Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Player Towns: Some Questions
Started by [E] thunderclam

Hi again. I really like this player-generated civilization stuff Minetown has going on. I noticed from some research that a lot of multiplayer servers are using similar setups. What I'm curious about is whether Minetown has a set standard for the size of player plots and if any towns have districts. I had this idea that you could have a down with districts. For example, one district would have the 9x9 plots I've seen in Jazz and other towns, small and fairly easy to set up and give away for nothing. A successful town could also generate some income for a town coffer by renting out larger plots to players who want more space, sort of like a "rich" district for people who can afford a tax/rent and are willing to pay for it. Do towns do this? Is this an appropriate way for towns to work or does it stratify users between those who want to spend time making money to pay for property vs. those who don't?

Minetown is basically hitting all my civil planning buttons cultivated from years of AoE, Civ, SimCity, etc. I joined Jazz and it's a small town just starting out with two cool mayors and I wondered about the possibilities.
Some towns do have districts. I know we have residential districts, shop districts, and misc. other ones in TownVille. Some towns that I have seen charge based on the plot size and you pay the one time fee when you purchase it. There was no rent involved. As long as the player was active, they could stay at that plot regardless if they were running a shop or just had the house there. Other towns give free shop and house plots with the one stipulation that the player remains active. Look on the World Map at some of the huge cities that have been built. Several are connected by rail or roads. Warping takes some of the fun out of rail and road travel but they are still fun to connect.
I've noticed some of that. I guess I was just wondering how it worked serverwide. I may have ambitions of starting my own town someday and wondered what was acceptable. It seems like town residents would be able to accomplish more by pooling resources either taxed by mayors/leaders of town or by donating to a town fund. I wondered a bit about how that works.
In all honesty, a town can be set up an ran however the creater desires. If you strive for a type town that you described, and are able to manage it properly, I'm sure it will become a large city in no time.
And so Thunderclam enacted feudalism.
if thats your dream then the best of wish's to you. unfortunatly minetown memebers have this crazy thing called "a choice" (no clue who thought it was a good idea to give them that...), so not so sure how well you will do lol.
Pssh free will. Those naive 'Muricans <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Hey, if I'm a strong leader others will want to follow me! Nah, I live in Jazz and that's okay with me.