Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Data values glitch
Started by [E] ronvandorp

Yesterday we experienced a data value glitch concerning snow. Note that this is not the snow block you craft from snowballs, but snow as it falls from the sky and is laid down by snow golems.

Snow golems laid down snow of all data values (0x0 to 0x7), resulting in different heights of 1/8th of a block (normal) to a full snow block. Standing on one of the blocks negated it.

Why it happened I do not know. I made screen shots of the lay-out of the room and will try to re-create it later when I have the time to figure out whether it will happen again, what the circumstances are that make it happen and if it can be used as a duping mechanism.

Factors which might cause the data value glitch could be:

- be specific placement of redstone lamps (which cause snow to melt)

- the height of the ceiling

- pushing snow golems around manually

- multiple snow golems trying to create snow on the same block at the same time

However, there are signs that this was a one-time occurrence only.
Pics or it didn't happen:

2012-06-19_234314.png
DEAR NOTCH

PUT THIS IN THE GAME

THANKS, PREZ.
WhatItDo and myself were playing with this last night.

The blocks can be modified by throwing snow balls at the single layered snow blocks (So they are craft-able)

The snow height only displays on your client's end

-When WhatItDo changed the damage value of his snow, it didn't show up on my end and vise-versa.

I could WE the snow in various heights (//overlay snow:0,snow:1,snow:2...)

The blocks are treated as a slab, no matter what the data value.

I'm going to declare this as not a glitch.
Heiwashin made a big snowglobe thingy above his city with world edit. It uses all the different snow heights.

It has been there since ever and a day, yet when I stepped on it yesterday the blocks started to disappear. I saw leogt123 and Krystalin detroy it too. I wonder if this was client side too?
I replicated the issue in game the past 2 nights on my farm. Walk on them they disappear, once melted they will continue to grow while its snowing. Neat.
Yeah I reported this the first night I noticed it happening. It still hasn't cleared up, nor are any of the conditions brought up in the first post causing the 'glitch' as it is even happening in clunks that have absolution no building what so ever. The 'glitch' first started with snow disappearing when walked on, to later that night anywhere where snow was walked on and disappeared became stacked in multiple 1/8 block sizes. It appears that for each time it was walked on, there is an extra 1/8 snow layer. Which I tested this theory and so far its the only option I can think of.

It is also causing problems on my property, because anywhere that the snow is stacked, my character becomes stuck and cant move. I have to use jumpto to get away from it to be able to move. Plus all my snow is melting when walked on, so its removing my winter look I wanted for my land. Also, the multiple layers of 1/8 snow blocks usually only act as just one 1/8 stack, but if you stand on top of one and jump you will notice sometimes you land on a higher layer (you can see this by hitting F5).

Yield, I would have to say this would certainly count as a 'glitch'. Solely because the snow is behaving outside of the norm as it was designed. In normal conditions it is not supposed to stack past 1/8 blocks (on server side code conditions are checked if snow already exist on said block), and is not supposed to melt when walking on (no code logic on client side to send data back to server about snow removing on walk, network monitoring also provides details that the client is not sending a response, just receiving a response that the snow is gone). Commands or mods that allow these conditions do not negate this from being a 'glitch'. In regards to your statement this is just client side, that is only partly true, client side only renders what server side provides. As a player walks in the world from chunk to chunk the server sends a batch of data that includes all details about the current chunk (those details include all blocks etc in that chunk) these details also include if snow is found on a block. This means the server is supplying data that has multiple layers of snow stacked on one block. From my statement before, I believe this is where the server is attempting to self repair the melting issue of the snow by trying to put the snow back (I haven't captured network packages that include details to apply more layers, as it happens when the character is away, but I do see the data include multiple stacks of 1/8 snow blocks).

PS. please don't think I am arguing with your opinion, I am just sharing mine based off my knowledge of the underlining code based used with Minecraft client/server.

Multiple users having this problem also extends the 'glitch' is server side related. As there are to many conditions each and every client would have to met to isolate the issue being only on the client side. I have attempted to return to stock install and still the issue persist. Also, logging into MT from MC.net online java applet, the snow is stacked.

All and all, I was hoping when the server rebooted it would have cleared up. But the block details are stored in the world files and I should have known better to think restart would have changed anything.

Regardless, I am looking through the code base on both ends to see if I can isolate a true cause to this crazy snow.

here's my thread BTW, pic's or it didn't happen is right <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

Crazy Snow stacking <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>
Oh, sorry for missing that thread of yours.
All factors that I listed as possible causes were not present in your case, so I have no idea what causes it.
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/CraftBook/Snow

Well found the reason for the derp snow