Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Wanting to learn basic coding.
Started by Unknown User

So when you log in it says Hello World?
If you want to get into bukkit plugin development, the video tutorials and text tutorials at http://wiki.bukkit.org/Portal:Developers are pretty good.

I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and did Java development professionally for over 2 1/2 years. If you have any questions that others can't answer, you can send me a forum PM.
Dancraft I cant figure out how I can teach you any java other than posting the code straight up on this thread.... which wouldnt help you at all.

I suggest just looking up some videos on youtube
Thanks for all the responses guys!
also check out this site, it has tutorials for java, css, html, etc.
programming is pretty hard to taech, as it is as much a language as any spoken one, but not one you can practice by talking to other people.. but rather just write yourself, like a crazy person.

Java, c++ and such are great languages, but if your new to this and dont have much of an understanding on programming, dont bother starting with those.

Start with VB, Visual basic. Pick up microsofts visual basic 2008 and look about the net for tutorials.

If thats too hard...god forbid pick up alice 2.2.... Oh I'll be happy if i never see that again but for the total newb its 'ok' to learn, super simplistic.
my high school started teaching programming languages with one called turing, went from "hello world" to making a customizable pong game (we could change the paddle/ball/border colors independantly of each other. or set it to spazz, just cycle through colors at random with little to no delay, this would often cause the program to crash after a while <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> ) in a few months (two classes a week)
Why are they teaching you Turing? Seems like an odd choice. Most start you off with something like Python, VB, etc

By they way as your first projects if you are gonna start learning with VB should be to produce different calculators and such.
Coding is not something that you can learn over night. It takes many hours, lots of time, lots of dedication. I started out with eclipse. Really good program. Just go out, watch some tutorials, dont just copy the coding, learn it, learn what it means. After you have written a smaller plugin, i would decompile a plugin like iconomy to see how it all works. Thats what i did. Start with small steps. Hope everything works out for you.
GiggleGasm wrote:
Why are they teaching you Turing? Seems like an odd choice. Most start you off with something like Python, VB, etc

By they way as your first projects if you are gonna start learning with VB should be to produce different calculators and such.

that was grade 10 (2005) when they had us do that, grade 11 covered the basics of the macromedia programs (flash, dreamweaver , fireworks ) and grade 12 was more advanced macromedia, web design with login programming, and java. didnt get into VB until college.

i dont know if my highschool teachers even cared as i also finished a few games on a gameboy advance emulator, or played unreal tournament multiplayer demo on the school server during that class as well <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>, final grade was 84%

also as you said about diff calculators and such, we did cover things like that as well, the pong game was like the final exam.