Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Think this is possible for our server?
Started by [E] Eunjun

Can we get a mod that allows for sandstone stairs? It's a primary building material in most of my builds, and would work wonders if it is at all possible. I'm sure many other people would agree.

I believe the mod "more stairs" is up to date (maybe not, it was as of 1.8, haven't used it since). It has stairs for most every stone/brick block in the game, as well as dirt and sponge. Or, to save space/memory on the server, is it possible for the dev team to create a mod just for sandstone stairs?

Post here for other stair/half slabs you'd like to see (for members).

Mods/admins/sawine please post your opinions on this. I find this extremely beneficial to the server, and I don't think it would cause any significant lag.
This is interesting, and often something I've wished for, but there is a problem in that this would create new items that don't have a vanilla block ID. The only way then for this to work would be to have the plugin on the server to process the receipe and serve the item ID, and also force every connected client to have this mod installed, so they would recognise the new item IDs and have the appropriate behaviour set.

Unfortunately while this is a nice idea, it's probably unfeasible to implement. Any mod / admin input?
I like the idea. If I see Sayomie later tonight, I'll try to remember to mention it.
neildotp wrote:
This is interesting, and often something I've wished for, but there is a problem in that this would create new items that don't have a vanilla block ID. The only way then for this to work would be to have the plugin on the server to process the receipe and serve the item ID, and also force every connected client to have this mod installed, so they would recognise the new item IDs and have the appropriate behaviour set.

Unfortunately while this is a nice idea, it's probably unfeasible to implement. Any mod / admin input?

Incorrect, my good sir. If people would want to use a mod such as this, yes they'd need the client. However, people don't need the client to play on the server still. There are plenty of client mods allowed (I think seven?) that I don't use any of them, and I'm still able to play on the server. It's not a necessity to download for everyone, just those who'd want to use the blocks included in the mod.

EDIT: Thank you, Yield. I look forward to great news.
A spout-compatible plugin would be the way to go. We already use SpoutPlugin, users can make the choice of using SpoutCraft and see the new block, or they can not use SpoutCraft and see something vanilla instead.

I have been wishing for sandstone stairs too!!!
Why dont we pester Jeb to add them?
I remember coldev saying it was "surprisingly easy to add a new crafting recipe" but I guess that's for existing blocks in the game

So I think you will need a plugin...

I like the sound of it
Halos1518 wrote:

You/we should!

Blocks that have both a half-slab and staircase variant:

Cobble

Wood

StoneBrick

Brick

Blocks that have only a half-slab variant but no staircase:

SmoothStone

Sandstone

Additional staircase variant:

NetherBrick

After 1.8 and Bricks having a stair and half-slab variant added, I thought sandstone would be following in another update or two. I could go for smoothstone stairs too, With Misa's TP stone slabs look very modern, like a tile floor you would see today.

We should pester Jeb <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>. I bet many of you are using texture packs where sandstone would look great as stairs.
imthelag wrote:
Halos1518 wrote:

You/we should!

Blocks that have both a half-slab and staircase variant:

Cobble

Wood

StoneBrick

Brick

Blocks that have only a half-slab variant but no staircase:

SmoothStone

Sandstone

Additional staircase variant:

NetherBrick

After 1.8 and Bricks having a stair and half-slab variant added, I thought sandstone would be following in another update or two. I could go for smoothstone stairs too, With Misa's TP stone slabs look very modern, like a tile floor you would see today.

We should pester Jeb <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>. I bet many of you are using texture packs where sandstone would look great as stairs.

Dokucraft - sandstone stairs need to be added, as well as smoothstone stairs.
Guys, I'm afraid neildotp is correct in this matter. It's one thing to have client mods, but custom block IDs with a vanilla client will choke horribly as soon as the ID is sent to the client (i.e., your building comes into view) and we don't have easy access to "selectively filter and replace the custom block IDs with vanilla block IDs" (nor would something like that be at all easy to implement in the server). Your best bet for this is to petition Jeb to standardize the variations (block, half-slab, double-half-slab, stairs, and fence) for the major material types (stone, cobble, claybrick, stone brick, mossycobble, mossy stone brick, netherbrick, wood, sandstone). Perhaps if someone else has already tackled this issue and has it all working, then it might be feasible, but otherwise this would be a project of several weeks or months, even with someone that was familiar with the appropriate areas of both server and client-side modding to do custom models and block ID filtering.

Buildcraft servers only work when the clients are running the exact same version of all the mods on the server-- that's part of what makes them such a headache, and requiring a custom client to play Minetown is not a route we want to go.