Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] User-editable region flag suggestions?
Started by Unknown User

Hi,

Recently I've been testing some region settings (via petition) in an effort to setup non-LWC-controlled region access, and in the process I've come across a few flags that would make mine (and most probably others') lives much easier, while not compromising gameplay or restricting players.

I've composed a short list of the flags I'd *like* to be made user-configurable, and I'm hoping I can get some mod attention as to whether this is feasible.

• use - Toggles the ability to open doors, use levers / buttons etc
  • vehicle-place and Vehicle-destroy - Allows players to put down and destroy minecarts. Useful for town rail systems
  • greeting and farewell - Allows players to display messages to players entering and leaving the region
  • build - This is definitely a more contentious option, improper use of which can completely nullify region permissions, but I thought it would be worth a mention

There are naturally some other flags on my "would like" list, which members definitely wouldn't be given control over due to their griefing potential, but I hope that the above flags are reasonable requests, which could definitely help make both ours and the staff's lives easier.

Also, some may be asking why I'm trying to find methods other than LWC for access control - the reason is simple: LWC doesn't seem to allow removal of a single member from a protected item, nor can it control button or lever access. This is the sort of thing that can be easily managed by proper use of the use flag, when applied to a region.

Thanks

Neil

I can't speak for all of them, but the reason greeting and farewell messages require petitions / mods to set is because we don't want users setting obscene messages for the greet/farewell messages of their regions.

Also, you can remove a single user from a protected item:
Code:
/cmodify -username

and then hit the item in question.

Some of the other flags, such as build can seriously screw up a region in some confusing ways, which often result in considerable amounts of moderator time spent trying to figure out what is going on and how to fix it. Since most of the flags you list should be set once and then not touched again, it's far easier for the staff to keep a heads up on the special conditions/settings when we're aware of the changes, and it's generally not considered an issue if a moderator has to set the flag once for you. If you're needing to change these flags on a regular basis, then the issue is usually not the flag permissions, but rather what you're trying to do or how you're trying to do it.
Ooh, I'll have to play around with that, thanks for the LWC tip <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Also, something which may help you understand my desire for at least the use flag is I'm attempting to get RegionSelfService setup for region rental - so I can allow unattended rental of region membership. It'd be awesome if the same feature could be applied an LWC lock though?
Also, regarding your comments on the changing of the flags, on one side I agree, that once a flag is set it's usually OK, however on the other side of this issue, I've had a lot of problems when leaving the setting of flags such as use, to petitions. For example, this is the chain of events in the last 48 hours with regard to the project I'm currently working on:

• For some reason, I discover the 'use' flag has been wiped from the sub-regions that encompass the doors / buttons that I want to block
  • A petition goes in to restore them, and a mod closes saying "No. Use LWC instead."
  • I make a new petition and manage to get the attention of a friendly mod to complete the changes
  • After this, I notice the parent region has use=deny set, which will now stuff up everything else, so I file another petition (still pending)
  • I hope that my latest request isn't mis-interpreted and removed from all child regions. Time to wait and see what happens

These issues go back far more than 48 hours, I've had these issues ever singe I came up with a specific access control mechanic (which is brilliant, once fully understood <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>). In short, I've had a lot of problems with requesting specific flags within regions, not all mods seem to know how each flag works, or they're simply unwilling to follow precise instructions that I've set down, and it's usually for simple flags such as use.

Now this is absolutely NOT a complaint, I'm just trying to highlight that leaving such minute configurations down to someone who doesn't know what you're trying to achieve, can be frustrating when it's not perfectly understood, and if you're working on a project that's still in development, sometimes flags will need to change or regions re-made, and being able to set small flags like use would definitely save me, and hopefully others, a lot of time.

I hope this wasn't a ramble, definitely looking for your input

Neil
I have added the listed flags for members

• sleep
  • vehicle-place
  • vehicle-destroy
  • snow-fall
  • snow-melt
  • ice-form
  • ice-melt
  • leaf-decay
  • grass-growth
  • use
  • mushroom-growth
Oh wow, that's amazing

Thank you <3

I don't suppose I might ask you whether you've managed to tweak RegionSelfService for rentals yet? This would make my life complete <3

Thanks <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>