Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Interview with Important People Part 5- Cryston
Started by [E] Aquaphobia

Cryston Interview

1) What are your thoughts on Minetown?

Cryston: It’s a beautiful server that I’ve been with from my first days owning Minecraft. I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. Even back in the Creative days with CodyHollaway, it was a treasure and is even better now in full survival under Sawine

2) How long have you’ve been playing?

Cryston: I’ve been playing since September 23, 2010. Only eleven days into the existence of the server, actually before the server was named Minetown

3) Do you think you are treated fairly?

Cryston: It’s a bit hard to avoid being mobbed when I show my face in Global, but I’m treated well as an Admin and as one of the oldest members of the server. I’d consider it fair!

4) Who is your favorite mod? Who is your least favorite mod?

Cryston: I think my favorite Admin is Sawine for taking over for Cody. I knew him back when he was an Admin, so I think that would count. The Mod and therefore Admin selectuib process requires amicable rule abiding people, so there’s no staff I really would place above another.

5) If you were an admin, what would you change or add on?

Cryston: I'm pretty sure I am an admin, lol, and it doesn't give you instant control over what plugins should be run on the server especially after all the changes that have happened over the ages. I don't really have anything I would change.

6) If you were to add a new item to Minecraft, what would it be? New mob?

Cryston: If I was to add a new item to Minecraft, it would have to be more interactive blocks like pistons and doorways many times the things that you can build to react with redstone are more impressive than static structures. As far as mobs go, I would probably make a grim reaper mob that instilled fear back into the game even when you had enchanted armor and weapons. The enderdragon was supposed to do this, but considering the fact that the battle with the enderdragon became longer and less difficult, we need a mob that makes us run like when we first met a creeper.

7) Do you like the guest system?

Cryston: : It's a good way to make sure that people can come on the server while we look over applications. Guests are a crucial part to the growth of the server, but at the same time allowing an unlimited influx would cause major damage.

<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f60e.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby="8)">8)</object> What is your best way to make money in Minetown?

Cryston: Design epic buildings. It worked with the sphere and when the gianthouse opens as a city, I'm sure it will get a similar reaction. It's more about quality and detail than bulk and repetition.

9) What is your best architectural feat in Minetown? What is the warp?

Cryston: The questions is sort of two sided for me as I have 2 great structures on Minetown and a 3rd in development. The first one that I built was the sphere, which for most intents and purposes was built entirely by me. /warp sphere. The second one is the Gianthouse, which I got outstanding help on as I built a house where you stood only 2.5 inches tall instead of the normal 5-6feet. /warp gianthouse

10) What would you recommend to people if they want to be a mod?

Cryston: Just spend your time amicably and by the rules. After you put a post in the moderator applications thread, it's purely on conduct alone that we will choose you over someone else. So be nice, don't cause any trouble, and cooperate with staff. Answering questions of members is often a good way to become well known among staff as we can spend our time on petitions and other issues.

11) What is your idea for an event?

Cryston: I'm actually designing one at the moment. iSoccerPlayer has often built jump events where you move from block to block, and I'm going to take it one step further in which there will be a variety of dangerous paths arranged in a maze. You'll have to wait to see what the traps are

12) What is your way, as a mod or admin, to stop griefing and looting?

Cryston: Honestly, regions are the best method as it prevents those who would grief from doing so, but at the same time with the plugins we have, we can reverse most damage within seconds, which allows us to remove those griefers from the server. I often leave my projects open, such as gianthouse, so that griefers will find it unprotected and will reveal themselves, which results in a quick ban and reversal of damage. This filters out large numbers of griefers without actually leaving any damage.

13) What would you do to improve on the chat system?

Cryston: I think channels should be utilized more. At the moment we have only a limited number of channels after updating the plugin and if people pulled more of their conversations to the side instead of global it would be far easier to keep track. My personal idea is to make local the default so that conversations are done with the people near you instead of in the middle of everyone's chat.

14) If you were to be the owner of Minetown for one day (even greater than Sawine), what would you do?

Cryston: I could never think of being owner. You might not know it, but being an owner has much more responsibility than you could imagine. A large amount of Sawine's time goes into configuring plugins and trying to improve the server. If I could wave a wand and somehow make all the plugins work without taking hours figuring out which ones cause lag, I probably would and then give it back to Sawine just so that we could have everything working and then give Sawine the wand so that we could move to being lag free forever. I don't have many plugins that I would like added that aren't as Minecraft is best for it's elegance and including anything that required client mods would cause more trouble for members than anything else.

15) What is one Minecraft mod you would love to add to Minetown?

Cryston: Not much. The only plugin that I would like to add would be some way to allow petitions to be done even more smoothly and some form of automated event running pluggin.

16) If you were to make a movie or show for Minetown, what would be the name? What would it be about?

Cryston: I would make a show about that blocks can be used for more than making bigger blocks. My primary concern with minecraft that I'd love to correct is the fact that most of the Minecraft community make little square huts rather than other more creative buildings. Just look at the sphere and tell me that you can't make a curved shape out of cubes.

17) Who would you choose for a survival team if Minetown would have a zombie apocalypse?

Cryston: Doesn't really sound like my style of gameplay, but I'd go work with all the other staff. I trust them to have my back.

18) What do you think is responsible for the laggings and crashes that Minetown sometimes have?

Cryston: People and the limits of java itself. Minecraft runs on Java, which has many imperfections that mean that the server can only run for so long before memory leaks come into effect. On the original note, We are almost constantly populated with about 100 people, and the amount of work the server has to go through to deal with so many people means the server slows down, It's not as easy to host 100 people as it is 10.

19) Tell me about yourself, Minetown related or not.

Cryston: I am a supreme supporter of the power of the human mind to create. Many people don't use their ability to its full extent, but the world and Minecraft would be far better if they did.

20) What would you like to say to everyone in Minetown or reading this interview?

Cryston: I am Cryston.......You guys have seen me as an admin for over a year now. Not much to say aside from "Don't Get Yourself Banned". I don't like having to do it and if people just followed the rules the server would run that much smoother.

2012-02-20_224931.png
Longer and less difficult

neutral-if-you-know-what-i-mean-l.png
Interesting series here
aqua make a thread that you post links to all the intwerwiews on. it would make it easier to look at all the interwiews <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> i feel like looking at them all cus this is very interesting <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
Hehe...Here's the thing. Ah, this is my first time playing a game like Minecraft where I go to forums and stuff, so I don't exactly know how to....<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
So... uhh... when's my interview?
Let me find you ingame <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
ROFL, your doing fine on the forums.
Cryston ftw.
Another great interview, though I like the vocal ones the best. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":-)">:-)</object> Great job Aqua & Cryston for participating.