Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Arrrrgh, Mobs.
Started by [E] CyberDrifter

I just lost a full diamond armor and tools with some enchants and a skele egg. I was in a abandon mineshaft and got mobbed by mobs, my most of my stuff was not there when I got back to my place of death. I can understand this is the hazards of doing such exploring.

but . . . wait for it . . . I no sooner start getting re-equipped and and am doing some organizing in my home when BOOM, respawn or quit. The creeper came up on me so fast I there was no way to even react, I never even saw it. I was in my very well lit home and lost it all again.

Two sets of armor with various enchants, to sets of diamond tools (I did have an iron shovel the second time). Both pickaxes had Efficiency IV, Fortune III, and Unbreakable III enchant.

The first pick not showing much use and the second none at all.

Seriously, something needs to be done about these monster spawns where the area was once safe. I did not think the code even allowed monsters to spawn within 4 block of a torch but i have seen them spawn on this server within 2 block. Not all of the mob spawning can be attributed to lack of lag, (something this server has in abundance at times). I suspect maybe a plugin issue.

In this case I had no warning in a well lit room, not even the fizzle sound of the creeper, just full health and boom dead.

. . .

I want my stuff back, I want my stuff back, I want my stuff back . . . okay tantrum over, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

CyberDrifter
As a number of people have pointed out, the mobs have become considerably more threatening since we moved to a customized server build, which has less lag (though I'm sure there are those who still thinks it has the same or worse lag), and because of this, monsters can now spawn properly to their limits (resulting in more monsters on the map) and move/react slightly faster (No more creeper hugs, sorry).

I have yet to see any mobs violate the spawning rules myself, and invite anyone that can provide hard evidence of the mob spawning algorithm misbehaving to produce it and I'll start trying to track down the cause. However, I have seen the following:

Monsters spawning at the edge of no-spawn regions, and then walking into the no-spawn region

Monsters spawning at 6 blocks away from a torch/7 blocks from glowstone, and then happily walking about in the lit area

Spiders which see players at night, continue to follow them after the sun rises. This is normal behavior

Remember, that's 6 blocks in the cardinal directions, which means it's only 3 blocks along the diagonal. This means you actually have to place torches and the like really close together along the diagonal or you will have a small pocket of ground where monsters can spawn, even in seemingly lit areas.

If creepers are becoming an issue, stick around in a suit of diamond armor. Even unenchanted, it will help you through a creeper explosion.
Yes theres a considerable less amount of lag on the server now so mobs can act how they normally would on a single player map.

Creepers are called the kamikazi mobs as they dont hiss until they are within exploding range of the player, so no wonder they are able to sneak up on players, thats what they are designed to do...

Ive compared mobs spawning on single player to our server and they look the same amount from what I have seen, the lag prevented this before.

You will not get refunded because you are demanding for your items to be refunded and it is not our fault you suck at pvp with mobs on normal mode with no lag.

Build a fence around your house and ask if the are can be flagged mob spawning deny, this will mean mobs cannot spawn or chase you (Unless spiders get over the fence!)
Darth and Dani,

Thank you both for your replies.

I do NOT expect a refund. My opening post of the the tread was a venting rant (getting two such enchanted pickaxes took a lot of tries at enchanting) and I lost them both within 5 minutes of each other. The post was meant to inspire some sympathy for a self pitting post.. I am sure others have had similar losses and as they say misery loves company.

It is easy to forget how fast those creepers (bad names as fast as they can move) will get you in SPM, I mean I very rarely ever play single player any more.

Do either of you know how it is determined what items are available for recovery when you get back to you place of death. It seems more often than not most of my good gear and tools are not there but the slag (cobble, dirt . . .) is recoverable. It sometimes you will be able to pick up a piece or two of your enchanted stuff, sometimes none of it. How is this determined?
It's determined by however the game does explosion calculations. Damage to item drops causes them to despawn. Sadly, I think this is one issue where lag makes the game worse, as from what I've seen creeper explosions have a very strong tendency to destroy all or most of the items dropped by a player when killed by the same explosion. (Maybe because the explosion is still going on when the items drop, and usually it's not? I can't say for sure, this isn't something I've tested extensively on a private server to compare against... )
Darth,

Your explanation makes some sense, however there must be more to the calculation as sometimes items which were more damaged are recovered than a item with less damage. If damage was the only determination the player should always be able to get back diamond and diamond tools/ armor since they are the hardest (obsidian not withstanding). In this last situation I got back half used diamond boots whereas unused diamond breastplate was lost as were all diamond tools. I recovered a bow with a low level enchant you would think would have some of the lowest blast resistance. Furthermore, even when death is caused by something other than explosion (such as fall or when I broke the rule of never mining straight down and fell into a zombie pit) all items still are not recoverable. There must be some other factor in the calculation of what is recoverable.

It can't be time since death either since it took me 5 seconds to respawn and warp home. I have noticed that I loose more (on this server, the only SMP server I play) when I have to logout because a warp did not work.

It would be interesting to figure out the formula or if it is just a random potluck.

~ cyberdrifter
Wawon0,

I feel your pain, lol.

~ CyberDrifter
Darth Android wrote:
It's determined by however the game does explosion calculations. Damage to item drops causes them to despawn. Sadly, I think this is one issue where lag makes the game worse, as from what I've seen creeper explosions have a very strong tendency to destroy all or most of the items dropped by a player when killed by the same explosion. (Maybe because the explosion is still going on when the items drop, and usually it's not? I can't say for sure, this isn't something I've tested extensively on a private server to compare against... )

Last night I died to the first time from a creeper since the no lag (usually just built in lit areas, but I was expanding). I lost ALL my items in the explosion. Usually, I'd lose nothing. So I asked Hei, and he said the explosions could destroy some of the equipment. So I tested it out in single player, because some is not all... He's right that only some dies (They're more likely to break through repeated explosions, too, and I find the quality of tool lasts longer through explosions). However, our server does result in more loss of equipment of items. However, I don't believe this is the fault of the staff, but more of the lag (which no one can control).
Darth Android wrote:

I have yet to see any mobs violate the spawning rules myself, and invite anyone that can provide hard evidence of the mob spawning algorithm misbehaving to produce it and I'll start trying to track down the cause.

Darth Android,

This is circumstantial evidence at best . but this spider spawned where my cursor is next to the glowstone and had moved before I could screen capture. I had to fight off some zombies that saw me (from not as well lit) before I could deal with this monster.

The chest behind the spider is the one I was at when the creeper exploded and I died.
ALOT of people are seeming to have green dicks sneak up and explode behind their backs, and they dont know its coming! SURPRIZE BUTT SECKS!