Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Working on a new "city" and could use some direction
Started by [E] IsTank

So I am hollowing out a small plot of land 103 x 46 from bedrock to topsoil. I will have a huge cavern below a 1 block layer of original map topsoil so that you never know it is there except for a small entrance and maybe a welcome center. Thinking of lining the inside with blue and white wool with mixed in glowstone to simulate a sky but that is still just a pipe dream. It is a LONG process but is giving me a lot of space to work with. Currently I am reserving the bottom 9 blocks for farmland and currently have a small farm segmented off for cacti, wheat, cane, and trees. Eventually i will have the full range of farm-able items including a ranch for every type and color of creature except for hostile mobs. Not sure how those would work out.

So here is my dilema...

I am not all that sure what I want to build. I have no experience with nor time for city management so If I built an underground city I would need someone to handle it. Once I clear the cave what sort of ammenities (except for the farm) would I need to put in for others? If I build it for myself and make an OMG home should I have some shops or something for those that stumble across it? I am pretty much stuck with writers block and would appreciate some suggestions from experienced builders.

Well, From your pics, its looks pretty awsome, how ever, with all those farms your going to need somewhere to unload them, perhaps make yourself somesort of stoarge level, and then makes a few shop's designated and designed for each type your selling, sorta like make a shop to sell logs and leaves, and decortae the shop like a logger would...Just a thought,
Maybe some houses?

Sell access to the farms and sell storage plots or houses
Nice job!

Quite often I find that the best projects happen naturally. I would suggest that maybe you think about the true purpose of the build site.

Will it be for practical / residential use? With people scamping around?

> Or

Do you want it to be more of a creative feature...

Possibly even a combination of the both <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>

Good luck.
Aside from the necessary storage for removed materials and the build process I had not even though of post build storage. Shops would be good and I need to figure out how to implement them in a way that keeps the cavernous feel. I am still working on wether it is for practical or residential use. Maybe a little of both. Still have twice as much or more to clear out then what is shown in those pics.
How about something like the oldstyle original zelda shops? you know the hole in a cave that becomes a shop? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object> or the zelda 64 version of the goro shops, little bit of lava around the edges, some rock sticking out here and there, and with duckshop, you can place your chests somewhere else and use just signs inside the shops..
Wallaby, I have a LOT of experience of things like this from others servers. Now you mention it, I actually made something almost identical to this!

I had the top floor as management/staff/administration areas, The second and third floors as a sort of lobby, the next levels below that as Shops, then recreational areas/parks, then residential areas and finally a community mining hall! <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>

I would so love to get involved with this! Need a hand? <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object>
I like the hole in the wall idea Gurgash. I have to look into how duckshop works because that would be a much better solution then having a ton of chests everywhere.

TPrezzle I am thinking of making it more along the lines of tall buildings within the cave and streets and such at the bottom. the only actual floors that are not in the buildings will be for the farming and such on the lowest levels. What was the community mining hall though?