Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] New portable furnace plugin?
Started by Unknown User

Hi all,

This is an idea I've had cooking for a while, and I think may be an interesting donator perk if implemented properly.

I regularly use the /chest and /workbench commands, and these are great, and going further down this path, I wonder if it's possible to combine similar functionality to the /chest and /vault plugins into a single command, /furnace. This is my proposed implementation:

- A FurnaceWorld (or map region), similar to VaultWorld, in which a furnace is created upon request and potentially privated per user

- A /furnace command which sends a virtual "Use" command to the furnace in question, which pops up the furnace interface

I was wondering what our developers may think of this idea and its feasibility, it seems possible, however this is only coming from my experience as programmer outside of the Java environment.

Comments and feedback always appreciated

Neil
Well I like the idea itself but setting up an extra world for furnaces only is a bit useless and may cause lags to the server.

It would be better to do it like the /chest and /workbench plugin, once you typed in the command and hit enter, a chest/workbench pops up on your screen, same with /furnace. A portable furnace will not only have the advantage to be able to used no matter where you are, it will also cook the stuff immediately. If you would have a "portable" furnace in another world, you always have to be there, otherwise it won't cook.

Having a furnace in another world is a disadvantage in my opinion, because it is useless to have a /furnace command/plugin then, why you don't use /vault and use your integrated furnaces in there? Would be the same^^

But I like the idea though.

cold
TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

DISLIKE
True, i dont like the look of it, they should make it so when you wear a furnace on your head you can cook things in it.
Yeah Colddev, that was the thing that prompted me to think about a potential FurnaceWorld, as a furnace has to store items, and a plugin that didn't require a physical furnace would need to completely replicate the function (timings etc) of a normal furnace, thereby causing more potential issues. However an insta-cook furnace in this manner would be interesting, and certainly a worthy perk!
furnaceworld = bad idea...colddev pretty much pointed it all out as to why...

/furnace in a way such as /chest is an ok idea i suppose...but how many ppl would really use it considering very few people run 1 furnace at a time...it is usually en mass...seems like a bit of a waste to me as you could just as easily warp to your vault and go back...the only reason it would ever be used is if you are in a deep mine and dont have a way to get back to it and you have some iron ore and sticks to make a new pick...but how many people (other than myself cause im a geek like that) carry a stack of sticks with them while they mine?

overall, id say this plugin looks good on paper, but for practicality reasons, is useless...
Well I for one like Colddev's idea and would like to see it implemented.
This would make an 'interesting' feature but I find it quite useless. I can't remember the last time I cooked something where I didnt fire up atleast a stack of furnaces. Normally when I cook stuff, I fire up all 250ish of them at the same time.
It's a good idea, but in terms of furnace enhancements, I don't know that a portable furnace would be that useful to me personally. Like other posters, I usually use 25+ furnaces in parallel. I'd prefer enhancements that create furnaces that didn't need fuel or furnaces that cook/smelt when no one is near them.
Biggest problem. Furnaces require the map area they are located in to be active. So, you'd have to put all the furnaces together in that separate world and have someone active to stay there all the time. It's just impossible, sorry to say. I doubt anyone would spend the money to buy an account to log on and do nothing with but stand in furnace world (under the hypothetical it was created, but I don't support the proposed idea). I'm just adding another note to why we can't do furnace world. /<object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f600.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":d">:d</object> Have a good day everyone.