Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Private Channels For Towns
Started by [E] яєvєℓѕ21

local channel is back has a 100 block radius...perfect for town to use...
Ye, but when I said a chat for towns I meant so that everyone in the town can talk, privately, without having to be within 100 blocks of each other.
I believe that would be a little too much work, revels. I honestly like the idea and would like to see a town chat, where you have members of mctowns able to be in a specific chat, in a different color all to themselves. However... wait... I was going to say it'll be too much strain on the servers, but if we can make a plugin to work with mctowns and use those lists, it shouldn't be too much added strain. However, I do think that town chats will isolate people from each other. So overall I'm neutral on this topic.

Replying to zionia: I think they want a town chat for when they're not located in the same town at the same time, and wish to have a conversation with multiple people without having to look through all the spam (like a green chat or something different that is easier to see outside of white, yellow and purple).
dunsjohn wrote:
Replying to zionia: I think they want a town chat for when they're not located in the same town at the same time, and wish to have a conversation with multiple people without having to look through all the spam (like a green chat or something different that is easier to see outside of white, yellow and purple).

Ye that is what I meant by town chat, I'm not sure how clear I was when expressing this idea :/ I did say earlier that I did think I was probably taking it a bit too far and I think the dev team are too busy at the moment to try and add in a mod to work with MCTown, but if/when they get round to it, that would probably be a better solution to getting the mods to set up a new channel for every new town. Maybe a command for the town mayor to set the chat preferences (colour, password etc.) But again this is looking like hard work and the Dev Team are already swamped.
ahh...well in that case we have had 'faction' channels set up in the past...the issue was that they were not utilized and just became a waste...they were reset when herochat died...if you have a fairly active group, the staff 'may' be able to set up a channel so long as you plan to actually use it...or you can get a mumble channel (which you can use text chat in btw)
Actually at TownVille we miss a town chat. one that covers the town region that is wider than 100 blocks.

It gets messy when one wanders through town and thinks that other ppl are still in range, when they are not.

Only problem is how complex is this to implement. i know it is possible because i saw it before, but is it worthy the trouble?

If it is simple i think this would be a good feature to add to towns, especially large ones (and we are not that big!).
The channels list would be extremely massive if this was implemented lol. Poor newbies wont know which one to go in haha.

If it ever was implemented there would need to be some strict rules such as:

Channel name will be the same as the town warp (When new players use the channel they will learn all channel names can be warped to so they can see the towns)

To get a channel the town must have more than 15-20 residents living there (Largish number as a new town is set up each week if not each day lol)

If the town is not of a good design standard then no channel will be made (Everythings made out of cobble or dirt lol)

This should keep channel levels down so they are not too hard to manage for staff but also give town owners a decent target so their towns will be of a high standard and players would enjoy living there.

But also on a negative note extra channels would mean staff will need to be in every channel to moderate them all. It could become quite confusing trying to talk to players and trying to find which channel they are coming from so we can comment back. Also players would become isolated and little clicks would form, if we're not in every channel some channels may go unmoderated which could end badly for us. Everyone being in global is so simple for us at the moment.

Adding channels would be a great addition to towns but it would also add complications for staff.
I don't think the name of the channel would be too much of a problem because the idea would be that only members of the town (and mods obviously) could speak in the channel, so when someone was added to the town then they would be told the channel name and password, but naming it after the town would probably be fine anyway. Also with the idea that you would get confused about what channel the chat is coming from, couldn't the channels have prefixes before them, like and , this could be abrrieviated and could help a little. The biggest problem Danni pointed out was the fact that the staff would need to monitor each channel which would be a bit annoying for them to have to join all the channels or even only some of them, if the channels were splite between the mods, although that would probably be even more hassle and could potentially cause a lot of complications.