Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Some Policy Clarifications (Nether, Griefing, Chat)
Started by [E] Dragoness

As a few rule-related topics are accumulating several different viewpoints being spread, I'm 'setting the record straight'.

Nether Ceiling Access

There is still some difference in opinion about the nether 'ceiling', even amongst staff. Technically, some methods that have been used to access it *do* qualify as glitch abuse and only one method can be considered somewhat "fair" to all. I have given staff a choice, and the choice is open to members to discuss as well. Either access to the 'ceiling' is completely restricted or the bedrock at the ceiling will be converted to netherrack, granting legitimate access to everyone.

Of extra note, above the nether ceiling is still *in* the nether and is considered as "lawless" as under the ceiling in terms of griefing, theft, and pvp. Anything built above the ceiling may be destroyed without punishment to the griefer.

Overworld Protection Griefing

Foremost, be smart about protections! If you want to gamble voiding the point of your protection by inviting people you cannot trust 100%, at least aim to use subdivisions and LWC locks. You can make chest locking much easier by use /cpersist .

If someone does abuse access to your claim to cause damage or steal, you will be told to first try to work it out with the person. This does not mean complain that the person is "never on" or demand action within a minute of you sending a message. It means you genuinely need to attempt getting a hold of the person. Otherwise, I ask staff to withhold the ban hammer.

If you've made fair effort to contact the person, with the person either not responding or rejecting civilly resolving the problem, then staff will apply normal griefing response. This doesn't mean a refund will be normally be given, because it was your choice to put your claim at risk. However, the grief policies were not adjusted just to make griefing okay in claims and genuine griefing reports may result in bans.

TL;DR of this, respect having protections and don't be an ass in other people's protections.

Non-English Chat

If you're speaking in Local chat or in PMs, as long as the chat would be appropriate in English, you are unlikely to have any issues. Additionally, nobody is being punished for a loose in-context, or newbie, chat comment made in a language besides English in Global or Trade chats.

The above said, if you are asked by staff to take a non-English conversation out of a "public" channel (global, trade, event) or withdraw from usage in a semi-public channel (Local in 'common' areas), please do. This is not about hating on other languages or being mean to non-English speakers. Rather, the reality is that we do not have to means to support other languages as fully as they would deserve.

Chat guidelines do apply regardless of language.

Inappropriate Conversations/Builds

Minetown does serve a large number of players that, by their own country laws, are minors. While it is true that the internet is full of questionable content and chances are, minors on Minetown have seen a lot, that does not mean Minetown must encourage access to “adult” content. This is as much a matter of protecting Minetown legally as respecting that many parents do request some responsibility on our part.

Known minors may be removed from the “Mature” Teamspeak channel, or removed from a clan that has been found to have explicit chat. Sexual chat will be requested to leave public channels. If a staff member requests the removal of a structure distinctly “adult” (or otherwise against-the-rules) nature, that instruction is expected to be followed. A reactionary giggle or the presence of an “afk” staff member does not equate to approval.

The chat filters are present as a “first defense” against people posting inappropriate content. They do not represent an entire list of what is not acceptable and abusing the filter workarounds may result in muting or temporary bans.

Nitpicking the Rules

Personally, members should be informed about what it considered “okay” and what can result in punishment. I don't like the idea of surprise rules, this isn't Rubicun III. Members must use good judgement though, if rules are to remain understandable by everyone.

I will give the okay to staff to issue a ban if a person is using not being handheld to a specific situation to excuse bad behavior. If you are preventing play of other members, outside of acceptable negative actions (opt-in pvp for instance), that is a problem staff will look into. Following the rules is not a game of Clue, it’s about having respect for other players on the server and that they want to just come on and have fun too.

A Comment about Ban Appeals

If you lie to staff, or are abusive, you will be banned longer. This doesn’t mean free pass on breaking the rules in the first place, but if you know you broke them, then you will not be doing yourself any favors by pretending otherwise.

Some of the ban guidelines may be adjusted in the near future due to some people not believing certain rules apply. Again, the rules are to give people fair opportunity to enjoy the servers. It is completely possible to play within the rules, never having to worry about being banned, if you respect what they are and why they’re there.
Worded perfectly. Thanks for the clarification! <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
If the ceiling bedrock is changed to Netherack, i take back my in game rant. That change alone pretty much removes most of the incentive of building in the nether to begin with. In theory that area should be able to spawn mobs now.
I have a poll open for the top of nether here http://www.minetown.net/forum/m/672632/viewthread/15199337-top-nether-rule

So far it is in favor for building up there.

Thanks for clearing this up dragon <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
So what you're saying is you want to have your cake and eat it too?
The ceiling isn't meant to be a buildable area, it's just Mojang are derp and this derp wasn't important enough to them to fix.

If removing the bedrock to make access equal ruins the appeal, then it's difficult to not feel the real interest in the ceiling is because there *is* a perceived advantage... not just a pointless barrier (as some have suggested).

wawon, I'm not sure your point is being well understand, as it's kind of hard to read what exactly you mean.

The impact replacing the bedrock would have on the nether spawning, is that theoretically mobs will be able to access the top as much as players, even without spawning up there. Theoretically, there could be cases were mobs have ended up over the ceiling already (say your thanks to both MC and plugin bugs).

Only some of the interest made towards the ceiling has involved "farming". I would not recommend building anything on the ceiling because it's rather like painting a metaphorical bull's-eye on your structure for getting griefed. However, preventing farming would not prevent people deciding to build there anyway. Would be far from the most curious choice of building location I've seen, to say the least.

Further, an advantage of making the replacement instead of blocking, is that there's more space for shenanigans (the good kind lol), nevermind boring farming. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f61b.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":p">:p</object>

So I don't see why preventing or encouraging mob-spawning (either way) would result in no interest in the ceiling.
I agree Modern, I think the bedrock layer should be a different block. There is only on problem I can see with that; I is the fact that the Nether is lawless so if someone was to take a huge chunk of the different block out that, part would be very hard to use seeing that players would have to keep on filling it back in. Just my personal opinion.
Here's how I see it:

On Classic, this was NEVER an issue. People built up there all the time, there were gaping holes up to the roof, and no one cared.

Why then, is this suddenly brought to attention? This is like necro-ing an old thread, we don't want to hear about it cause it's been decided in the past, even if it was rather indirect.

It's ridiculous that this should become such a heavily debated issue. If the area isn't able to be protected, then why would it even matter? Everyone understands that it's a lawless zone, we don't need anything more.
guys we can still build farms there by slabbing up there; it is a flat surface; nether rack roof makes no difference in farm potential. Building in the nether is already been done, I came across one farm a week ago or so; obvious building with a sign asking not to grief.