Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Top of nether rule
Started by [E] dteandy

We discovered today that ender pearling up still works, which is equal use to anyone attempting as /j. Is it glitch or luck? Can this be made with a rule; i have seen other builds up there....2 other builders so far have been found on the top.

Elite as of today says it is a no go to build there

this is solely to estabilash a rule; it is considered a 'hack' otherwise.

Please make this known to the public; because ive never seen in the 'rules' other than asking staff

I am dong a poll here too
If we were to post every 'rule' that there is on the server it would be an endless, ever updating tedious task. Technically, from the start (to my understanding) Nether pearls were not meant to go above the Nether. Bedrock is unbreakable for a reason, to keep players out of the space.

Using an Ender Pearl to get to the top of the nether falls under the "Do not Exploit Glitches" covered by our rules if I remember correctly.
you are right Nova it would be an endless tedious task, but it would also help Minetown players understand and follow the rules better when they are in print not just what other people are saying.
Does your mother have to tell you to wipe your bottom after you go to the bathroom? Some things are just common sense.

Plus, if staff says "Hey, don't do that" Just don't do that. Common sense isn't necessarily common but we have enough moderators online at any given time (Most of the time) that you can reach someone. Its not like we have 3 staff who are never on, thats not the case.

I have yet to meet a moderator that just pulls rules out of their bottom, in fact I've seen everyone pop onto the Staff Chat and ask/verify questions we've been asked by a player before we say anything in game, unless its a question we've already seen the answer to.

As far as the nether goes, you can get up there...but if you enderpearls/jumpto you cannot get back down. Does that seem like its something you're supposed to commonly use then? I wouldn't think so. Common Sense tells me, that at least for right now...maybe I shouldn't build there.
I personally have to disagree with you. I know see no harm done being up on top of the nether and think it would be a great place to just chill or make a great mob farm. I see no harm done to other players. If we are allowed to get Minimaps because other players can get them too it should be the same for the top of the nether, everyone can get ender pearls so everyone can get up to the top of the nether.
Its not a glitch that chnages the game, it doesnt create any new blocks, nor does it allow you to fly or something that would affect gameplay, its just a really big area. And you take the risk of it being fixed in a later version of minecraft, and losing their stuff, so rthe worst it can do is hurt you.
In my opinion, building above the nether is fine, it's lawless as far as griefing goes, but there's only one true legit way to get there. I'd be fine with letting people use enderpearls to gain access since others get there by luck, just to keep things fair. Once again, it's just my opinion this far. Don't shoot me for it just yet.
Quote from the rules:

''Don't exploit glitches''

The reason the rules aren't more precisely is because we just can't find all the ways to abuse glitches, and rules would have to be constantly updated. It makes no sense to list every glitch possible as illegal, when you can say that all glitches are illegal.

When in doubt if something is against the rules (refering to glitches specifically here), you can use the following mindset:

Is is a glitch?

if the answer is yes, then you can't do it. if you answer is no, then you can do it just fine.

With this is mind-

Is going to the top of the nether with ender pearls a glitch? Yes. Is it allowed? No.

Is the same true for jumpto? Yes. (Try not to do it by accident lol. If you happen to end up there by accident, you should just tp away as quick as possible.)
I understand that people are placing their votes and not commenting, but staff has been talking and Modern has been kind enough to post This in regard to what the options would be for the nether.

I for one agree with Modern's post. Either bedrock becomes netherrack to make it fair for every tom dick and harry to get up there without exploiting a glitch or no one gets up there at all.
I never saw the point of going up there. I almost always got stuck by accident with /jumpto and hated having to go back to the portal and walking to my previous location. With the decision to implement nether wart farming in the over world a few versions ago, it reduced one major commodity that was nether specific. The only real remaining commodities down there are ghast tears, blazes, and quartz. None of them can be found or spawned above bedrock. I think that the much safer way of living in the nether is to do it in a very secluded place. If the top layer happened to be changed to netherrack it would likely end up being a curse to those that are up there. A single bed bomb could massively destroy your work due to the lack of materials to absorb the blast and you could easily fall to your death if you dig too far down. Unlike the over world which might give some chance to recover the items, there is a high chance of falling into the nether sea and losing it forever.

tldr

I don't really see any harm in going up there but I also don't really understand the appeal as nothing special can be done up there. I see it as a barren region with a much higher chance of griefing and causing more issues in the long run between players. Just look at how many issues servers have with griefing in the over world.