Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] On the CS and its negative effects on the economy of Minetown
Started by [E] CrimsonYoshi

There is hardly an "economy" to mine town and even if there was, voting and buying from the cs is a great way to make you rich i don't see the problem here
One day you will see the MCSE, MINECRAFT STOCK EXCHANGE
all very interesting but i am going to use myself as an example, i have been here since last december and i can say that i am pretty wealthy i have 3 stacks of diamond blocks, 28 stacks of iron blocks, and a few stacks of gold blocks, and to be honest i am not going to spend it any time soon, and it really isnt going to increase in value or anything, in-fact it is probably decreasing in value so much that it is worth less than when i had a stack of diamond blocks to begin with

what im trying to say is you have people like me with alot of "money" who really dont do anything with it, i have probably given away more of my money than i have used to buy things and thats just the way minetown is the system works for now, i believe that if an admin or mod sees a serious problem starting to arise in the form of the economic value of the gold bar, then they will make sure something is done, after all that is there job, to keep the server #1
I just noticed this thread, but anyway you need not be concerned. I buy everyones credits and don't use them for anything so problem solved. <object class="emojione" data="https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f642.svg?0" type="image/svg+xml" standby=":)">:)</object>
The system can be balancing, but right now I dont think it is. Since we started implementing ways to generate currency (before credits, there were diamonds from voting, and before that, gold from donations), the prices of materials and services have skyrocketed. Wood is no longer 2g/stack, its 4-6, for example. Clearly many players do not value their cash as much as they used to. I also suspect there are nowhere near as many players actually mining for their gold/diamond as there used to be, because they do not need to anymore.

HOWEVER, the voting system is our main system of advertising, and brings us many new players which keep the server interesting and without them, the server may not exist at all. If not for the rewards, many players would not be voting, and we wouldnt be as high on the lists as we are now. And that really matters, because most people who use the toplists probably click on the topmost one that sounds interesting to them, and do not even look at the others. I feel we are of such a size now, that the only servers that should be beating us are the ones that cheat their votes.

Also, I am also of the opinion that limiting the amount and type of blocks all players can use only hurts the quality of construction server-wide. If most players can afford the expensive blocks to enhance their buildings, then the quality will be improved. IF all they can afford is planks and cobble, then thats what they will build with. However, I prefer the fine line an economy provides: Everything is still legit, because it needed to be bought, instead of everything being made with spawned blocks. Seeing buildings everywhere made with diamond and lapis blocks in a creative server just cheapens the experience.
Prices change within things, before obsidian used to be 20g a stack but because it was on such a high demand it went up to 32g a stack. Just because the price changed doesnt mean its the currency, it may be because of its current demand. Months ago you could buy a double chest of redstone for dirt cheap but because people are too lazy to mine it (myself included) its price has gone up and its hard to come across anyone willing to sell a double chest

x
I loved that sentence so much i made a minecraft-esque kfc profile picture
Another necro? Are you kidding me?
From what I understand from the OP, he believes that over time the value of gold and diamonds will decrease because the server can just "spawn" more. But I think your missing the bigger point. As you can understand, Minetown rewards credits to those who vote. They then can purchase gold and diamonds. But have you thought of the bigger picture? As people vote, Minetown gets more popularity, which leads to more users. Users will then lead to shops and trading, which will lead to gold being transferred from one user to another, therefore creating a bigger economy. And I personally believe that no one just hordes all their money with out spending any of it.

A whole economy can be run by one dollar, but in this case gold. All that matters is how quick that dollar goes from one person to another. Assuming that everyone purchases items through the MT CreditShop, stores, trading booths, etc, we can figure about 15,000 credits are awarded everyday. (Probably more) But, the spending amount is probably only 9,000. Lets say 6,000 on the CS and 3,000 on users buying and selling. Now there are only 9,000 credits left of the 15,000. Thus leading to 6,000 going back to the server, generating a 60% increase in credits saying everyone had 0. This is not hurting the economy but infact improving it by producing more currency to be traded amongst the users. But even if someone horded their money, the increase of users up untill then will have increased the value of credits, thus creating more revenue.

These two aspects come together creating an economy. Revenue and popularity, as long as both of them increase rationaly, their should be no excesive drop or spike in value of either of credits, gold, or diamond without them all changing, leading to the same start.
Of course people forget that back in my day we had no CS. We made everything ourselves! Outside! In the middle of winter! In a BLIZZARD!!!!

Damn kids.... GET OFF MY LAWN!