Welcome to Minetown!
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

[Enjin Archive] Perhaps we need to re-think the impact and effects of Applications.
Started by Unknown User

I remember when I first joined Minetown, and for several months after that, we used the system where unless someone donated $5, or had a guest pass used on them, they were denied access to playing in Minetown's regular world.

As it stands now, we have and use an application system, which seemingly lets everyone play on Minetown. This is also causing more problems, due to the amount of people that simply to not understand what minecraft is, how to follow rules, or have any care or regard to helping maintain a high quality/elite community server.

I am thereby proposing we end applications, and revert to previous methods, as I feel Minetown is being overrun with ungrateful and disrespectful players, our overall quality as an elite server being eroded away because of these "commoners."

I believe that only those that donate, are those that are truly responsible, knowledgeable, and understanding, which in turn would help increase the quality of Minetown, it's Community, and it's Reputation. True enough, what I am proposing would turn Minetown into a Private Community Server, which in my opinion would help preserving it by being closed to" just anyone."

It is my belief that by doing this, Minetown will become regarded as "Only Quality People Play There." Making our server sought by many, desperate to get in, and therefor willing to pay, thus funding Minetown financially for a long period of time, if not indefinitely. After all, why should we let just anyone in? What good are they to us?

Please, share your feedback. I am curious as to who else feels the same way.
HKX-4-7As it stands now, we have and use an application system, which seemingly lets everyone play on Minetown. This is also causing more problems, due to the amount of people that simply to not understand what minecraft is, how to follow rules, or h wrote:

I agree with this...........

There have been LOTS of griefing incidents lately. It seems like 99% of the are users less than a few day old..........
i agree 100% the amount of clutter from nondonaters that dont contribute to the society at all and only cause problems is overwhelming

i will say that there are some people who have not donated yet they are a help to the community for example Landr0 is one

but there are far too many new people joining who dont know how to follow rules and need to grow up before they can play on this server, in my belief i think that they are all too young and immature to be of any use to the community and its quite frustrating to see all these stupid ban appeals

anyways i agree with HK and we should stop allowing just anyone to join the server this is becoming out of hand and casuing too many problems for our staff to handle efficiently on almost every thread i see, Mr.Pink is saying to some stupid kid:

"please post again using the proper ban appeal format

it is a sticky"

so thats just what i think and now you all know where i stand

-mike
My opinion is a bit divided on the subject, but in overall, I think it's not a problem and the issues should be less a problem in the future... let me explain myself...

First, going back to our previous membership system would cut down Minetown growth by a ton. I'm totally aware there are some idiots here and there.... but what do you want, IT'S LIFE. Tons of applications are rejected, there is already a big cleaning done at this stage. With the new hardware, the playercap will be increased to 500, maybe even higher. Minetown will become even bigger.

With the current set up of our worlds and chat, all players are in the same "game". With our new world hub setup and new worlds, There will be more worlds with assigned roles, which should almost completely remove the pvp problems. And with all those worlds, the idiots will less likely make it to your house and play in a world that suits them more... BUT you know what... there is still going to be griefers and idiots... Even if we move back, there will be less for sure, but our server will decrease a ton in popularity. Also considering that players have all the ressources to protect the stuff they build and to protect their stuff, griefing and stealing should not be a problem.

If there are exploitable glitchs at the moment... they won't be forever....

I don't think going back to the old membership system is the solution to make Minetown better.

The staff is taking care of banning the bad players. It can be annoying, but that's part of it. There is no game or no servers that is protected from idiots.

Once our server expand, we will simply add more staff to apply the rules.
sawine wrote:
My opinion is a bit divided on the subject, but in overall, I think it's not a problem and the issues should be less a problem in the future... let me explain myself...

First, going back to our previous membership system would cut down Minetown growth by a ton. I'm totally aware there are some idiots here and there.... but what do you want, IT'S LIFE. Tons of applications are rejected, there is already a big cleaning done at this stage. With the new hardware, the playercap will be increased to 500, maybe even higher. Minetown will become even bigger.

With the current set up of our worlds and chat, all players are in the same "game". With our new world hub setup and new worlds, There will be more worlds with assigned roles, which should almost completely remove the pvp problems. And with all those worlds, the idiots will less likely make it to your house and play in a world that suits them more... BUT you know what... there is still going to be griefers and idiots... Even if we move back, there will be less for sure, but our server will decrease a ton in popularity. Also considering that players have all the ressources to protect the stuff they build and to protect their stuff, griefing and stealing should not be a problem.

If there are exploitable glitchs at the moment... they won't be forever....

I don't think going back to the old membership system is the solution to make Minetown better.

The staff is taking care of banning the bad players. It can be annoying, but that's part of it. There is no game or no servers that is protected from idiots.

Once our server expand, we will simply add more staff to apply the rules.

This is all and well fine, and I can certainly see where you are coming from. However, I believe that bigger is not always better. The More people we have, the more if not worse annoyances will present themselves. And even with more staff, it will present an increasingly difficult situation due to the explosion of growth of Minetown members. 500 players on the server, if not more, would demand anywhere between 50-100 staff members to fully police the server. Add multiple worlds into the mix, and that would create a powderkeg, as I see alot of things that could go wrong. Horribly Wrong.

Besides, having the donations replace the application system wouldn't limit growth of Minetown, it would just limit those that are not worthy of joining. Therefore, growth could be managed, and there would be Higher Intelligence from Individual Members. Or so is my thinking.
HKX-4-7 wrote:
as I see alot of things that could go wrong. Horribly Wrong..

Q4Jdz.jpg
sawines got this
I think everyone at some point has felt the same as HKX, but I think the server growth is great. Sure it'd be nice to have this clean wonderful server for like 100 total players to share and use, but growth will bring bigger and better things to the server. If we're going to compete in epic'ness with some of the bigger servers out there we have to keep growing and keep getting better.

Sure bigger isn't always better. But being bigger with more talented/contributing members is definitely better.

But maybe something could be done to better weed out the bad apples. Maybe make GW less chaotic pvp and more of a "proving grounds" where people can build a cool house and demonstrate their ability to actually sit down and do something productive in the server?

In any case you're right --> Sawine's got this.
i deff don't think paying $5 is demonstrative of someones maturity, this guy donated (or at least he said he did), and i havent, i feel like a productive member of minetown

i have run into a few real stupid ppl on the server and am kinda curious what the credentials of a acceptable application are,

also wanna see what kinda applications get rejected:

Name: Dick Stroker

Hobbies: running, croquet, Hate Crimes, golf...

?

i think the problem could be solved somewhat by being a bit more strict on who gets accepted, bc anyone can donate
We will always have little issues here and there, but it isn't anything we can't handle. I want Minetown to be both large and prosperous, something we won't be able to achieve if we only allow donators in. I say we forget this issue and focus on the near future issues that will require a lot of attention. (1.8, new server, etc.)

Chester